Raterus

He Slices! He Dices!
Sep 2, 2003
North Carolina
Visit site
✟15,670.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, I had a question about the Papal vote process. I was intrigued by the process these last few days, electing the Bishop of Rome (Yeah I did a little research :))

Ok here we go, I do not know much about the Catholic church, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm asking this question with one assumption: The Papal vote is ultimately inspired by God.

My question is why did it take more than one try to eventually elect the new pope? Shouldn't the vote be unanimous on the first try, since the cardinals have sought after God for their vote? How do you explain the Cardinals that did not vote directly for the new pope? I'd welcome any comments on this, as I'm a bit confused.

Thanks!
--Michael

Paul S

Salve, regina, mater misericordiæ
Sep 12, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟17,194.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the way to look at it is that God guides them, but He doesn't whisper in their ears to tell them who to vote for. God gave us free will, and allows that.

It's like the Bible - God inspired it, but He didn't dictate it. He allowed each writer to use his own talents and his own words to convey God's message, and He lets the conclave work, too.

Upvote 0

LynnMcG

A reflection of the Son
Sep 20, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟20,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This was something I was thinking about for the last few days. I saw a Bishop on television yesterday who talked about it. He said that we have to remember that all we know is what we're seeing on the news. The media would have you think it was political, but it really shouldn't be. Ultimately, the Holy Spirit is speaking to the Cardinals, directing them to choose the right man. He went on to say that the first vote is often a popular vote. I voted for you because you are my friend...I respect you...etc. But the real vote took place today. It's fascinating to think about why God made His decision, isn't it?

What an exciting time we live in.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.