Pakistani men can beat wives 'lightly,' Islamic council says

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
(CNN)The leader of a Pakistani Islamic council has proposed a bill that allows husbands to "lightly beat" their wives as a form of discipline.

In the 75-page proposal, Mohammad Khan Sheerani suggests a light beating is acceptable should the need arise to punish a woman. The proposal bans forceful beating, saying only a small stick is necessary to instill fear.

The Council of Islamic Ideology is a powerful constitutional body that advises the Pakistani legislature whether laws are in line with the teachings of Islam.

Its proposed bill is seen as a response to the rejected Punjab Women Protection bill for abused women. The council shunned it as "un-Islamic" and wrote its own bill, which includes the recommendation for the light beating.

"A husband should be allowed to lightly beat his wife if she defies his commands and refuses to dress up as per his desires; turns down demand of intercourse without any religious excuse or does not take bath after intercourse or menstrual periods," Pakistan's Express-Tribune newspaper cited the proposal as saying.
The proposal also calls for a beating if a woman does not wear a hijab, if she interacts with strangers, speaks too loudly or gives others cash without her husband's permission, according to the newspaper.

It also suggests bans on various activities, including women fighting in wars. But it allows women to participate in politics and become judges, and proposes that the need for a guardian for women of age is not required.

The proposal also says that women should not be permitted to receive non-relatives or foreign officials, and they should not use birth control pills without asking their husbands.
Proposals by the Council of Islamic Ideology are recommendations and are not applicable unless passed by legislators.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, this is not unique to Pakistan. It is part of the religion of Islam and comes from the Qur’an which allows Muslim men to beat their wives. Here is what it says:

“Men have authority over women because Allah has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because Allah has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them.” — Qur’an 4:34

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is disgusting! I find it appalling that any Islamic group would condone spousal abuse! Unfortunately, many would argue that the Quran allows for it as well. Here is the verse in the Quran that is used to support it.

Quran 4:34
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

The emphasis in bold is mine.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
It is possible, but unlikely, that a man could hit me once. He would have to take me completely by surprise. There would not be a second blow.
Sure there would. The second blow would be his brains splattering. Though I will say, I know of a lot of guys that if they were to blind side me I'd be put to sleep, and I'm not a small man. Unfortunately, the women in these countries aren't armed and are submissive to their 5'8" !55lb weeny husbands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The main thing is training. A very large part of self defense is situational awareness. BTW Mikhael, I am 4'9" tall and weigh about 90 lbs. Probably more from all of the restaurant food I have been eating on the road this last week.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The main thing is training. A very large part of self defense is situational awareness. BTW Mikhael, I am 4'9" tall and weigh about 90 lbs. Probably more from all of the restaurant food I have been eating on the road this last week.
I know you're a small woman. That's why I was basically saying to be careful with that. Not much a gun can do when a fully grown man who knows how to hit blindsides you. I know guys that would knock me out on one hit if I wasn't aware that they were going to hit me, and I've got a foot and 3 inches and 110 pounds on you. If you ever notice, most of these Middle Eastern men are actually short and scrawny. I'm sure if their wives wouldn't be put to death for daring to fight back that a lot of these weeny wife beating husbands would be shamed by their wives.

That said, I just had a good chuckle imagining some woman beating man approaching you with fists raised and you pulling your piece on him. Then I saw him pee his pants and run away screaming. lol.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
My news neighbors on the 1st floor. Not sure where they are from, but the two woman are in all black head to toe with their faces covered also. They must be Mother Daughter but I cannot even tell, not even an ankle shows.

The man wore shorts the other day when it was 90, the woman wore the same black head to toe outfit.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My news neighbors on the 1st floor. Not sure where they are from, but the two woman are in all black head to toe with their faces covered also. They must be Mother Daughter but I cannot even tell, not even an ankle shows.

The man wore shorts the other day when it was 90, the woman wore the same black head to toe outfit.

That makes me wonder if maybe they might not be refugees from a nation where Islamic extremism was common place. For refugees from such nations, they often retain their old habits such as wearing the full head to toe outfit even though they are in a nation where they no longer have to do so.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That makes me wonder if maybe they might not be refugees from a nation where Islamic extremism was common place. For refugees from such nations, they often retain their old habits such as wearing the full head to toe outfit even though they are in a nation where they no longer have to do so.

I'm from a part of Detroit that has a lot of Arab people living in it. The dress usually denotes what country they're from. Some countries wear more, some less. Some are refugees, some are citizens. It goes full scale, from head to toe coverage to just the head-scarf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I don't agree with it, but for them it's a religious thing. If they truly believe in Islam, they don't just abandon their practices. Nuns don't have to wear the habit, but most choose to do so because of their faith and religious practices. We're in a country where women can dress skimpy, but many Christian woman choose to dress modestly because they feel it is the right thing to do.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hope Pakistani men will act with reason. It is so crazy from a westernized look of the situation. Or for anyone in fact! I hope something could be done for all these women who deserve to be considered human beings and to be emancipated. May God protect Pakistani women (and men too)!

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The good news for right now is that this is just a horrible and stupid proposal. Let's hope that the people who make the laws see enough reason not to turn it into a horrible and stupid law.
Let's hope they choose to ignore Islamic tradition and what it says in the Qur'an.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Let's hope they choose to ignore Islamic tradition and what it says in the Qur'an.
I don't really care what reasoning they use or what they choose to ignore. The end result is what I care about and there should never be a law on the books authorizing men to beat (even lightly) their wives.

Upvote 0