Pagan Christianity

shihab-alain

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
I just finished a book called Pagan Christianity by Frank Barnum. It was pretty enlightening and thought provoking. Has anyone else in here read it? I would love to discuss it.

One of the interesting things it talked about was the history of tithing in the church. he contends that early Christians, though quite generous, were not required(or compelled, or guilted into) to tithe. It wasn't necessary. It didn't come to be the norm until centuries after Jesus' death. It began as a kind of tax: the Roman Catholic church owned a lot of the land in Europe. Anyone who rented that land paid ten percent of their income as rent. Eventually it developed where everyone was required to pay tithe or be ex-communicated.

Any thoughts?

wannabeadesigirl

Dec 28, 2007
✟17,294.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Well tithe has always been a give as your led. Yes the 10% was in the law in the Old Testament, but God also stated he would rather have the willing obedience of his people rather than their sacrifices.

What else did the book talk about?

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am reading this book currently and have not gotten to the part about tithing yet. What the focus of the book seems to be on is "organic Christianity" rather than dead religion and the author sees having church buildings and pastors as major things that are wrong in the Christian religion because they - especially the pastors and reliance on them - keep the members from all functioning and it creates a system where most people are pew sitters being entertained by performing clergy.
It inhibits all members of the Body from functioning and growing in Christ.
He apparantly has several other books out - all with the same focus - Reimagining Church by Frank Viola
Our public library does not have the others so I don't know if I will read them, but I am finding the book Pagan Christianity very interesting.

Upvote 0

Ursie

Nov 13, 2009
Southern Arizona
✟7,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very salient discussion comes from this book. I'm reading it and finding it hits the nail on the head in terms of ways in which the 'church' does not function. I am looking forward to reading "Reimagining church" as well. The one thing that will be quite difficult is the fact that most people can't accept such major change as change is uncomfortable and usually frightening. Not to mention all the people who'd be out of jobs if this POV was taken seriously.

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the group I meet with functions in a way very similar to what is described in the first book. And we have a number of ex-pastors and even once I met an ex-Catholic Priest and we also have a sister who used to be a nun who meet with us.

Upvote 0

dreamchildattucus

Oct 5, 2005
I am pretending i'm in antartica.
✟15,424.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is tithing in the new testement to, and a lot more of it, some people would sell their land in order to give God money, I don't like what tithing has become as far as people feel like they are requierd to give money to the church. I fell like someone shold look at tithe as a furtherment to the kingdom of God and God says he will bless those who give...

Upvote 0