Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I post.there under an id of " recent convert" although I have been Orthodox for almost 9 years. It is a rather widespread forum with its good & bad aspects ( some might feel more negatively). A couple of Orthodox priests usually post there & there will be more information on Oriental Orthodoxy than one will find in CF. I think TAW is more level headed but if you navigate carefully through OC Net, you can find quality; most posters are ok but there a few embedded argumentative types.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd probably agree with jckstraw, with an added layer of extreme attention to minutiae. I post there sometimes though, because occasionally you can find some detailed info if you need it, and I really enjoy their Western Rite sub forum, and Lukaris is right about the greater OO participation. I get a negative vibe overall though. I think TAW is friendlier and with a greater community.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just drop the Alan Turing icon and you'll be better received in all forums! :p

Not a fan of computers? :p

It is honestly a part of my journey. I'm finding it very difficult to understand the church's position on sexuality. Even more difficult is dealing with the topic when questions aren't tolerated - that really gets on my goat.

I'm not having a go at you personally - you've been lovely towards me - it's just a bitter taste in my mouth. If I hear "Adam and Steve" one more time - another cheap throw away answer - I'm going to scream.

But if it offends you, I'll replace it with another photo so I can participate in your forum (I do know I am a guest).

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, Sayre,
I wonder what you mean when you say "questions aren't tolerated"? Do you mean at TAW?

I don't think there is any intolerance to inquirers or asking questions. I can see a problem, though, if "question" means "doubt, and refuse to listen to the answers of Orthodox Tradition".

I think asking honest questions is totally cool.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hey, Sayre,
I wonder what you mean when you say "questions aren't tolerated"? Do you mean at TAW?

I don't think there is any intolerance to inquirers or asking questions. I can see a problem, though, if "question" means "doubt, and refuse to listen to the answers of Orthodox Tradition".

I think asking honest questions is totally cool.

No. TAW has in general been very loving and patient with me. I've found much more intolerance in the protestantism I've been involved with in the past.

I don't want to isolate who or what or when - I don't think that is important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just drop the Alan Turing icon and you'll be better received in all forums! :p

stthomasapostle-450.jpg

Better? LOL

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Sayre,

I think you're lovely as well, and I was just ragging on you about the icon, not seriously mocking you or anything. Sorry if I came off harsh. I'm a big kidder. I normally am not a fan of homosexuality, so no, he wouldn't be my first choice! :p

When it comes to "sexuality," I think we have to just put things in perspective and think about things carefully without jumping to conclusions. And I'm NOT saying you've done that. You seem like a really caring person who is listening to the beckoning of the Holy Spirit, wanting to find God in sincerity, but also trying to come to terms with moral principles and ethics, to do what you think is the right thing. Nothing wrong with having ethics, trying to be true to convictions, and wanting to make sure you get things right in finding the right Church!

I can assure you, if you're looking for the TRUE Church, look no further--you've found her. I personally went through decades of Catholicism with questions, eyebrow raising, discomfort, and a nagging feeling that I'm in the wrong spot. I went through Anglicanism for about 7 years off and on and felt the same way. Orthodoxy is finally my landing spot.

When it comes to "sexuality," as you put it, I'm not sure I like the term. It somehow implies we have a default "esse" about us. It denotes a type of programming that is unavoidable, and a natural God-given state of who we are.

Orthodoxy sees us properly through the right prism---WE'RE FALLEN. We're fallen, sister. We've lost our way. In the Garden, we fell. We are not supposed to be in the state we're in. We shouldn't be judgmental, cruel, unforgiving, lustful, boastful, drunks, addicts, ill-mannered, covetous, and so many other bad things. We were meant for divinity.

Seeing things through that proper perspective, we know that we are lost sheep with programming that has been inflicted with the virus of sin. Like a computer, we were programmed to do a job---being like God, but when the virus and malware of sin entered the harddrive, we are not making the calculations and running the programs properly. Some work, some don't properly.

Christ the Victor vanquished death. Death swallowed a man, and encountered a Living God. Jesus ransomed us from death. He injected divinity back into us and in baptism and chrismation we encounter our true selves. We receive patches to fix our viruses. We receive a system scan that helps get our hard drives back on track. The Eucharist is the ULTIMATE patch and virus-killer, but also confession, prayer, devotion to the saints, the liturgy, sacraments, icons, the wisdom of the Fathers and theologians of the Church, and each other all come together to fight the disease of sin.

Same-sex attraction isn't "sexuality." It is an aspect of our fallen nature. Whereas one man who is "straight" is addicted to inappropriate content, another man might be attracted to other men. Both ARE SIN. They are not natural, God-given, but rather byproducts of a nature we weren't meant to enter into. Same-sex attraction is sin. It goes against the natural law given by the Creator. But by the same token, we Orthodox Christians don't somehow say it's not ok for a man to struggle with SSA, yet it's perfectly cool for a man to look at inappropriate content and touch, or for a man to get drunk and beat his wife, or for a man to use drugs, or for a "straight" man to commit adultery, or for a man to abuse animals, or for a politician to lie, cheat, and steal. It's not ok to abort a baby, or to cheat on taxes. Sin is sin. SSA is a brutal struggle, but not a God-made blessing. We must sympathize with how brutal a struggle it is, but not buckle to modernity's message that it's not only inescapable and natural, but beautiful and laudable as a lifestyle either.

Divorce is also something that, as Rus has pointed out frequently (and correctly!) is totally out of hand, and that even Orthodox clergy are a bit too fast to accept.

So I guess I'd tell you that if you're looking for Orthodoxy to endorse the SSA agenda, you'll have to go elsewhere. They won't. But if you have a sympathy for their struggle and yet a willingness to acknowledge the lifestyle as a sin and pray for these good folks, then Orthodoxy is for you.

Orthodoxy properly doesn't look at people through the eyes of their gonads. We don't use the term "sexuality" and define people through their use of genitals. We have to look at the entire person and try to heal sin. We have to not tolerate sins, but also quickly look at OURSELVES and realize that we're the 'chief sinners.'

Orthodoxy is tough, but HIGHLY compassionate imho.

Investigating religion isn't easy. We journey into something that should MOLD US. We can't religion shop, and we can't look at religions that rubber stamp our own beliefs. Oddly enough, as a Roman Catholic, I was 100% opposed to divorce for just about any reason save adultery and abuse. Orthodoxy is a bit too liberal on the topic for my taste even to this day. I find the word "divorce" annoying and I just hate it. I think the Lord made it VERY clear that divorce is to be ultra rare and given in the most extreme and uncommon of circumstances, yet the Orthodox Church is pretty free in granting them. So, I had to bite my tongue, consider they know better than me, and just be patient, etc. When I came to Orthodoxy, I couldn't grasp why we had to stand the whole time, why the liturgy had to be almost two hours long when any other church is half that, why we have to "again and again let us pray" the same things when one time seemed sufficient? At first I thought the East was just being overly petty about the filioque. I also thought Orthodoxy wasn't into the Passion of Christ enough and too enamored with the Resurrection event. I could go on.....I also was VERY pro-evolution. I read a lot of things the clergy and laity had to say about evolution (anti) and it bugged me to no end.

But after I explored deeply, looked into the theological and practical and patristic reasons for these things that annoyed me, I realized that I was wrong, not the Orthodox Church!

We have to be open to be conformed to Christ and going into uncomfortable territory, lands we're not accustomed to, theologically speaking.

keep an open mind, an open heart, and be prepared to have to recalibrate some opinions and verbiage! Be open to the idea that secular society has messed with your lexicon and mindset. It messed with mine!

Hey, gotta run. Blessings sister! keep up the exploration! :crosseo::)

Not a fan of computers? :p

It is honestly a part of my journey. I'm finding it very difficult to understand the church's position on sexuality. Even more difficult is dealing with the topic when questions aren't tolerated - that really gets on my goat.

I'm not having a go at you personally - you've been lovely towards me - it's just a bitter taste in my mouth. If I hear "Adam and Steve" one more time - another cheap throw away answer - I'm going to scream.

But if it offends you, I'll replace it with another photo so I can participate in your forum (I do know I am a guest).

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Lord moves in misterious ways. Turing payed dearly for his sins, may God have mercy on him, and who's to say mine or anyone elses are any lighter. I'm ok with icons of sinners, that's my group of people at the moment. As a matter of fact, I too am sporting an icon of a sinner.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟118,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey,

Just wondering how many of you also post at orthodoxchristianity.net ?

I do, although I lurk more often than post these days. I find TAW to be kinder and more Orthodoxically on-track without extremes of 'personalities' or viewpoints.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've scrolled through that forum once and then other times when googling stuff, it directed me to a discussion thread in there. Not enough interest for me to have joined there, though.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,763.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've been a member there from its very very early days ;)

To my mind it's not the Site it was . Yes I still post occasionally , but not often .

Indeed my GodPapa is also a member - has been since its inception , but he prefers that I don't post - and I do respect my GodPapa's wishes

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the general sentiment that OC.com is not for everyone :)

I enjoy TAW for the diversity for sure of EO juristictions and the tolerance of its expression. I can post here and get many views on a subject maybe not as deep but for sure a wide spectrum :)
Welcome Sayre :)

Upvote 0