OT: Uh oh, new bigfoot tape will probably surface soon

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
I originally saw this at another forum, but felt it was, perhaps, relevent. Spookily enough, I notice that creationists in particular tend to be fascinated by cryptids.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/04/21/bigfoot-video050421.html

Of course, this quote caught my eye:

"The Clarke family has stopped showing the videotape, saying they're arranging for an expert to enhance the video as they hold out for the best cash offer from a media agency."

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
Actually, after briefly reflecting on the issue, I think there's two primary reasons that creationists love their cryptids.

1) A factor of gullibility - if you can be convinced that the earth is 6,000 years old, you can probably be convinced that there's a 7 foot biped chilling in the woods of remote Northwestern America that's gone undetected in modern times, or a big-eyed monster that has a taste for goats.

2) The idea that if such a large creature has managed to go unnoticed in a fairly populated continent like North America, that there could be other 'large' creatures that are still around that could have gone unnoticed. My guess is, primarily, dinosaurs. As such, creationists feel that evidence of these sorts of creatures still being around would be evidence that the earth is young after all.
[Edit/Delete Message]

Upvote 0

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
Hydra009 said:
Just what we need - more nonsense. :doh:

Kids, just say no to pseudoscience.

Well, I wouldn't a priori reject the possibility of some bigfoot-like creature. And this isn't science of any sort, just some guy's video.

Still, I'd take these sorts of claims 10,000 times more seriously when there was a single piece of physical evidence - hair, scat, bones, fossils, anything at all.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
mikeynov said:
Well, I wouldn't a priori reject the possibility of some bigfoot-like creature. And this isn't science of any sort, just some guy's video.
True. But come on, bigfoot on tape? I'd sooner expect to see proof of the Loch Ness Monster, Dracula, and space aliens visiting Earth.

Upvote 0

mikeynov

Senior Veteran
Aug 28, 2004
✟2,746.00
Faith
Atheist
Hydra009 said:
True. But come on, bigfoot on tape? I'd sooner expect to see proof of the Loch Ness Monster, Dracula, and space aliens visiting Earth.

Bigfoot, in terms of cryptids, seems, sadly to say, the most 'plausible,' if that term can even be used.

YOU'RE JUST COVERING UP ALL THE BIGFOOT EVIDENCE. We're going to find a bigfoot one day, and he's going to be reading "Darwin's Black Box." And be a subscriber to AIG's newsletter :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums