OT: question about churches & communion

P

prov1810

True enough... but that's not going to get us to the point of partaking of HIS body and blood. Only The Eucharist does that, according to Orthodox Christianity.

God be gracious to me a sinner.
I personally do not think of the communion service as being merely the symbol of an historical event (the Cross). And I don't think of the bread and juice as literally being His body and blood. But communion takes place - Jesus gives Himself to us and we share and participate in His own life. So I don't think there's an important difference here. The point is communion with Jesus, either in or through the elements. And in Him we have communion with one another - Orthodox and Catholic and Protestant.

It's Jesus' way of being that we receive. Can we be broken? Can we be so generous that we pour ourselves out? We are saying that we want this because we want Jesus to live in us.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that some only see the Eucharist as merely a religious ritual and only symbolic. I was raised in churches that down played communion and only saw it as symbolic. It was just as underwhelming, unimportant, and pointless as some make it out to be around here. They're right, there's nothing there. However, there is another way. I've experienced Christ in the Eucharist. The two are like comparing apples and oranges. Some people are pooh-poohing something from a stance of complete ignorance.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wholeheartedly disagree. That is not what I see in Scripture and that is not what I have experienced. Most of my most personal and most impacting encounters with Jesus were far from any religious ritual.

If you have nothing to compare those experiences with, how would you know? :)

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you have nothing to compare those experiences with, how would you know? :)

Having grown up in church and having been exposed to many faith groups I have plenty to compare.

EDIT TO ADD:
BTW, as a pastor, I have never downplayed Communion. I do, however, reject the extra-biblical teachings of certain faith groups in regards to this issue.

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think a lot of this is protestant theology-by-reaction, as if the really essential thing is being deliberately and conspicuously not-Catholic.

No, its a desire to be explicitly biblical.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that some only see the Eucharist as merely a religious ritual and only symbolic. I was raised in churches that down played communion and only saw it as symbolic. It was just as underwhelming, unimportant, and pointless as some make it out to be around here. They're right, there's nothing there. However, there is another way. I've experienced Christ in the Eucharist. The two are like comparing apples and oranges. Some people are pooh-poohing something from a stance of complete ignorance.
Ultra-mega-über-dittos.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for the input.

I knew about Lutherans, but I just can't affirm some of their theology. And I was attending a UMC - they were observing communion every other week. They treated it with more respect than I have observed in other Protestant churches, but I am just fearful of the UMC's future, with the politics & infighting (think recent defrocking of unrepentant pastor...and the many who side with said pastor & want doctrine changed...)

So, if I can't go UMC, it seems my only options are Anglican & EOC (can't affirm RCC doctrine & OOC is a bit too far of a drive in the morning to explore).

Back to where I started, lol.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok. I have come to believe that a church service should center around the Eucharist/communion.
Why?
Is that what the early church services were centered around?
What was a service like? Did someone get up and preach up
front? Paul maybe?
I'm familiar with Pauls remarks to the Corinthians about their
meetings being chaotic, and their "love feasts" being self
serving.. other than that, I can't remember.

But then again, shouldn't our "assembling of ourselves"
be as God leads? Or do they have to have routine form?
According to Scripture, I'd say it would be flexible, as
the Spirit leads.

IMO

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why?
Is that what the early church services were centered around?
What was a service like? Did someone get up and preach up
front? Paul maybe?
I'm familiar with Pauls remarks to the Corinthians about their
meetings being chaotic, and their "love feasts" being self
serving.. other than that, I can't remember.

But then again, shouldn't our "assembling of ourselves"
be as God leads? Or do they have to have routine form?
According to Scripture, I'd say it would be flexible, as
the Spirit leads.

IMO

Tangible's right that when someone says "focus on the Eucharist" or something like that, it shouldn't mean "to the exclusion of everything else."

The usual liturgical service, regardless of denomination, includes Communion but also praise, petition, readings from Scripture, sermon, and fellowship. Of course it's possible to have all of that without Communion, so some churches trend too far one way or the other--either minimizing everything except Communion or having everything but the Communion. Luther is well remembered for bringing the balance back to the Church of the late Middle Ages.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
GraceAndPeace,

I think the most accurate answer to give you would be "no."

Certain exceptions come to mind, however, and other posters have already mentioned them.

Lutherans have a high view of the sacrament, but few congregations observe Holy Communion every week. So, you may be able to find a Lutheran church that is similar to an Anglican parish in this regard, but it would be a 'hit and miss' proposition for you.

Also, and as Hedrick said, "The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)" and their cousins, the Churches of Christ, do have Holy Communion every week and value it highly. However, these are strictly non-ritualistic, unceremonial, churches which think of Communion as entirely symbolic.

I suspect that for a person like yourself who's looking at such churches as the Anglican and Eastern Orthodox, this is not what you have in mind when you say "high focus to communion."
Like everything else the communion was established to help Christians with their spiritual development (becoming more like Christ/ God in that they become more Loving).

The Communion is not some ritualistic “offering” like the burnt offerings of the Old Testament that really meant nothing to God, but it is a very important reminder for us, so what result is it trying to accomplish?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Like everything else the communion was established to help Christians with their spiritual development (becoming more like Christ/ God in that they become more Loving).
Not sure where you picked up that idea.

The Communion is not some ritualistic “offering” like the burnt offerings of the Old Testament that really meant nothing to God, but it is a very important reminder for us, so what result is it trying to accomplish?
I guess that depends on how you define the sacrament. If it's just "a very important reminder," as you say, I suppose all it can accomplish is to remind us of Christ's Last Supper, Crucifixion, and etc.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True enough... but that's not going to get us to the point of partaking of HIS body and blood. Only The Eucharist does that, according to Orthodox Christianity.

God be gracious to me a sinner.
It's a metaphor for partaking of eternal life.
Do it often, in memory of Him.
:groupray:

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0