✟18,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
XVII said:
as the original manuscripts (Textus receptus aka) is to the KJV for the english language, what would be the KJV "Equivalent" for the spanish language? (i dont want to have to read through arguments...i just want a simple answer of what version it is)
Hi XVII, :wave:

I believe the Reina-Valera uses the TR; it's the "KJV" of the Spanish church. My wife likes the beauty of the language, but we also use the La Biblia de Las Americas (LBLA), which is the "NASB" of the Spanish church. There's also the Nueva Version Internacional (NVI), which is the "NIV" equivalent. The Version Popular (Dios Llega al Hombre) is like the TEB ("Good News" Bible).

There are many other Spanish translations as well, but my wife is more the authority on them than I.

In Christ,

Daniel

Upvote 0

JohnJones

Jun 29, 2004
✟1,084.00
Faith
Christian
XVII said:
as the original manuscripts (Textus receptus aka) is to the KJV for the english language, what would be the KJV "Equivalent" for the spanish language? (i dont want to have to read through arguments...i just want a simple answer of what version it is)

The 1858/1865 Reina-Valera. All the revisions of the Reina-Valera that come after 1858 head towards the Alexandrian text (except the 1865 which only revised Matt, Mark and Luke, and the 1999), but not so much as non-Reina-Valera Spanish translations nor as bad as non-KJV English translations. What I mean is that so far as I know, all Reina-Valera's have 1 Juan 5:7 and Hechos 8:37. The 1862 changes Marcus 1:2 from "en los profetas" (in the prophets) to "en Isaías el profeta" (in Isaiah the prophet) but 1865 goes back to "en los profetas" and then all revisions afterwards go to "en Isaías el profeta." The 1865 is the same as the 1858 except in Mateo, Marcos, Lucas. In Matthew 5:22 the 1858 says "se enojare locamente con su hermano" (crazily angry with his brother) but the 1865 says "se enojare sin razon con su hermano" (angry with his brother without reason). Even though the trend toward the Alexandrian text started so early, the 1909 is still close to the TR (closer than the 1960, 1995 and modern non-Reina translations), and the 1909 is probably the closest Spanish Bible that you easily find at the bookstore. After the 1909, however, all revisions are way off (but many of the differences are due to paraphase rather than textual difference), with the exception of the 1999 Sagradas Escrituras (which is a revision of the Reina-Valera but is not called by the name) which despite it's basic return to the TR still reads "en Isaías el profeta."

The 1999 Sagradas Escrituras is sometimes wrong in the Old Testament, however, and matches the NKJV more than the KJV. The 1909 says in Psalm 22:21 "Sálvame de la boca del león, Y óyeme librándome de los cuernos de los unicornios" but the 1999 says "Sálvame de la boca del león, y de los cuernos de los unicornios líbrame" and the 1960 says "Sálvame de la boca del león, Y líbrame de los cuernos de los búfalos." It's like the KJV "Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns" vs the NKJV "Save Me from the lion's mouth And from the horns of the wild oxen! You have answered Me" and NIV which is "Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen" completely omitting "heard" as do the 1999 and 1960. In the 1909 Reina-Valera and KJV we see that God heard Christ from the horns of the unicorns, the intersecting horns of two unicorns being a representation of the cross from which God heard his prayer. In the 1999, 1960, NKJV and NIV, however, we find him praying to be saved from some sort of horned animal. The 1909 and KJV are right and the 1999, 1960, NKJV and NIV are dead wrong.

Reina-Valera 1858/1865: http://faithofgod.net/es/Valera/index.html

Comparison of the various Reina-Valera revisions: http://faithofgod.net/es/compare/index.htm

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.