Organizers Shut Down 'My Little Pony' convention in Moscow, as Russian Police Raid Event for "LGBTQ+ propaganda"

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The Mi Amore convention was closed by organizers early Saturday after officers arrived at the venue in the Russian capital, despite police being unable to find evidence of illegal activity.

wanted for questioning
1708879059300.png

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Best quote from the article: complaints of "general horror and darkness". ^_^ If that doesn't describe Bronies I don't know what does.

Plus, was it ABC News or the AP who decided to randomly insert an irrelevant photo of rubble?

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hands up who wouldn't be surprised if this happened in Arkansas or Texas.

I have lived in Arkansas at least half of my life. I'm pretty confident this wouldn't happen.

Texas, yeah, I'd say there's a chance.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey hey, watch it there Kiwi, or I'll start talking about how New Zealand handled covid. :)
You mean terribly? By allowing for the conditions for my company to fire me unless i got rhe stupid thing? Dont let me stop you from criticizing my rainbow flag country.

When I say Texas won't do it I literally mean it. Texas is no where near close enough to banning MLP conventions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I say Texas won't do it I literally mean it. Texas is no where near close enough to banning MLP conventions.
I know, you're right. But we're in a nation where free speech is embedded in law, and a Court which is Supreme has ruled that women taking off their clothes in strip clubs is "speech", and burning flags is speech, so basically everything is speech (unless you're a Trump supporter). It's the dilemma of well-intentioned classical liberalism, and we all know the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,216.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know, you're right. But we're in a nation where free speech is embedded in law, and a Court which is Supreme has ruled that women taking off their clothes in strip clubs is "speech", and burning flags is speech, so basically everything is speech (unless you're a Trump supporter). It's the dilemma of well-intentioned classical liberalism, and we all know the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
If this is where freespeech leads why should Christians defend it? Since we all believe the original conception of freedom of speech did not include the obscene or the degenerate it would appear the concept itself is fundamentally flawed and can only benefit those who wish to pursue such avenues.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If this is where freespeech leads why should Christians defend it? Since we all believe the original conception of freedom of speech did not include the obscene or the degenerate it would appear the concept itself is fundamentally flawed and can only benefit those who wish to pursue such avenues.
Free speech is related to freedom of thought, freedom of conscience, and freedom of religion. You know when the Deacon holds up his orarion during the liturgy? This is done in part to commemorate the early days when Christianity was illegal, and no New Testament canon had been complied, so they would hide bits of the gospels and epistles in the sash so they wouldn't be found in possession of them.

Also, a lot of people think Constantine the Great made Christianity the official religion of the Roman empire, but he didn't. What he actually did was legalize all religions. He granted freedom.

Where you don't have freedom of speech is/was anti-Christian places like Islamic nations and the U.S.S.R. and China. I think we have to support free speech, but as I said, it's a dilemma.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,965.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
"based"

Kids, help me out with this hip new terminology!
It means that you don't care what others think and that you do "your own thing".

As far as I'm aware, in Russia "doing your own thing" is punishable by up to twenty years in a prison camp.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It means that you don't care what others think and that you do "your own thing".

As far as I'm aware, in Russia "doing your own thing" is punishable by up to twenty years in a prison camp.
No, not exactly. It's more specific than that. There are two aspects to being based. 1) You are wise enough to see through the lies and absurdity and danger of wokeness, and 2) you're courageous enough to openly stand against it. For example, you realize that when people make a big deal out of claiming to be anti-fascist, they are in fact fascist, and when people claim to be anti-racist they are in fact racist. And you're willing to fight against evils such as these.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It is a dilemma. Who decides what kind of speech is harmful?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, not exactly. It's more specific than that. There are two aspects to being based. 1) You are wise enough to see through the lies and absurdity and danger of wokeness, and 2) you're courageous enough to openly stand against it. For example, you realize that when people make a big deal out of claiming to be anti-fascist, they are in fact fascist, and when people claim to be anti-racist they are in fact racist. And you're willing to fight against evils such as these.
So if Texas was "based" - did see the evils of wokeness - then they would ban MPL conventions, as Ig says.

I think I'm getting this but not sure.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,352.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So if Texas was "based" - did see the evils of wokeness - then they would ban MPL conventions, as Ig says.

I think I'm getting this but not sure.
Not necessarily. The article says Russian police were merely called to investigate if any Russian laws were being broken, and the organizers voluntarily shut down the event.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not necessarily. The article says Russian police were merely called to investigate if any Russian laws were being broken, and the organizers voluntarily shut down the event.
So Russia is only partially based. Quasi-based? Not sure what the right word would be. "Half-based." Thats my candidate. As in: "Dont do anything half-based, the revered Ayatollah used to say."

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0