Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ordination vs Installation

Discussion in 'Confessional, Covenantal, Creedal - Presbyterian' started by LiturgyInDMinor, Jan 29, 2010.

1. LiturgyInDMinor

LiturgyInDMinor Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Utrecht
    We recently added a new group of deacons to the church and I noticed some were listed as being ordained, and some installed.
    What's the difference?

2. Calvinist Dark Lord

Calvinist Dark Lord Regular Member

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    The ordained deacons are those who have not been deacons before. All are ordained to the office. Those who have served previously have no need of ordination. They retain their office (except for disciplinary matters), even though they don't have an 'active' service class.

It is the same situation as Ruling elders.

3. LiturgyInDMinor

LiturgyInDMinor Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Utrecht
  4. Cjwinnit

Cjwinnit Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)

Faith:
    Anglican
    (I should point out i'm not a Presbyterian)

My thought would have been that an ordination (say, as a deacon) is universal to the entire church, but that an installation is being put into an office in a local church.

5. kenrapoza

kenrapoza I Like Ice Cream

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    That's one way of putting it.

6. Evenstar253

Evenstar253 somewhere else

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    I've never really thought about the difference, but it makes sense. I know pastors only have to be ordained once and then installed in a particular congregation. Would the same hold true for elders and deacons? In other words, if they held office at one church and then were elected to the office at a different church, would they have to be ordained again or just installed? (While most of you guys aren't PCUSA, I think the structure of church government is pretty similar to PCA, EPC, etc.)

7. kenrapoza

kenrapoza I Like Ice Cream

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    It's similar in the PCA. Our candidates for Elders are presented to the congregation by the Session (after rigorous training and testing). The congregation then votes and elects them. After that they are ordained and installed to serve that congregation. When they move on, I believe that they retain their ordination credentials, they just may need to be installed in a different congregation.

8. Evenstar253

Evenstar253 somewhere else

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    Thanks Ken, that sounds right.

9. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Presbyterian
    (this is for the PCUSA) Note that when a person moves to another congregation, the letter of transfer states any offices to which they are ordained. Each Church maintains a registry of ordained deacons and elders. People are added to that registry when they join if the other church did their job by including the information on the letter of transfer. (Unfortunately, not all do.)

I'm Clerk of Session, so I get to worry about these details.