Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
laptoppop said:
(emphasis added)

... but it seems to be enough to just say how it might have happened, without showing evidence that it happened that way.

In terms of irreducible complexity, that is enough. If there is a feasible way for the feature to evolve gradually, then by definition, it is not an IC feature.

We may not be able to substantiate that the proposal is the precise evolutionary path that was taken, but the fact that at least one evolutionary path was available eliminates the possibility of IC.

If you believe we have a fossil record over millions of years...

This is not something you have to believe. It is a fact that we have a fossil record extending over billions (not just millions) of years.

.... shouldn't there be detailed physical evidence for each transition?

No, that does not follow. The conditions under which fossilization occurs, and the conditions under which existing fossils can be found, preclude even an extensive fossil record from being that detailed.

Nevertheless, there is much more detailed physical evidence of many transitions than most people are aware of. Far too much to ignore.

I am currently reading In the Blink of an Eye by Andrew Parker. One of the things I like about it is that the whole second chapter is devoted to the fossil record, not just in terms of what it is and what is reveals, but on how scientists derive information from fossils. He gives many examples of such transitions.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
(emphasis added)

One thing I find interesting is the standard of proof seems to be extraordinarily low. Once a conceivable explanation has been detailed, the discussion is declared over - even in the absence of direct physical evidence supporting the particular developmental methodology. I'll admit to being wrong - obviously I am working from way too few examples - but it seems to be enough to just say how it might have happened, without showing evidence that it happened that way.
Actually there are computer program called Evolflag which shows just how easy is for evolution to produce the flagella. Anything and everything is possible with super-natural selection and a lot of imagination.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.