[open]Can you recomend a book for me??

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi folks.

Although I am not pregnant, nor do I have children I am very interested in exploring different parenting types (AP etc.), breast vs bottle, co-sleep vs crib sleep, CIO vs not CIO, discipline styles etc.

I am looking for a book that explores all these different types of parenting choices so that my DH and I can start deciding what will be best for our family when the time comes (Lord willing it be sooner then later- we've been trying for awhile now)

I am some ideas as to what we will decide for our family, but I would like to explore other areas as well. Perhaps I won't be able to find all these things in one book, but perhaps its out there.

Thanks!!!

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I guess I'm of the mindset that no book really has the answers and the best way to be a parent is to parent. My two kids were so opposite though. I was more the AP mom with my son but my daughter wanted nothing to do with that so I was more of the cry-it-out, routine mom with her and she did better. I am uncomfortable with parents trying to make their children conform to a book. I hope that makes sense so I really don't have any recommendations other than the 'What to Expect...' books...those were nice when my little ones had issues like ear infections and the like.

Now, when they are older, I heartily recommend the Five Love Languages for Kids book. That one fit for both my kids and was a wonderful help :)

Upvote 0

Primrose

Innocent Bystander
Nov 13, 2004
GA, USA
✟3,018.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well TBH these are such polarizing issues that your not gonna find any one book that compares and examines them all. Like others have said your not gonna really be able to parent by a book, and yes all kids are different. However I do think educating yourself to your options is a helpful thing to do. This way you don't just fall into doing something simply because you don't have any other ideas of how to handle a situation. Also books can help you find and establish your comfort zone. You can know before being in the middle of a situation what you'd feel comfortable with and not. My only advice is to stay aways from Ezzo, he has no background or expertice in child development and gives potentially dangerous advice. Oh and the Pearl's are major wackjobs stay away from their books too.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've never heard of Ezzo- mind telling me what they are about? I guess I could just google it too ^_^

Gary Ezzo is a so-called parenting expert, who is no expert. He is a Christian, who wrote the series "Growing Kids God's Way", "Babywise" (the secular version), and the beginning book in the series "Prep for Parenting". All of these books, his speaking sessions, tapes, videos, etc. are FULL of misinformation and twisted Scripture. Parents who take ONLY the information that works for Them are probably going to be fine with his "parenting philosophy", however his network is set up like a pyramid scheme... you are supposed to only ask questions of the family Above you. You aren't to discuss any of Ezzo's philosophies with "non-Believers" or "non-Ezzo families". I could go on & on... Suffice it to say that it's really not good to even Go there. ;)

Go ahead and google him... you'll get over 160,000 hits. His whole philosophy is Extremely controversial and has caused failure to thrive and dehydration in many infants. I know there are parents on this parenting forum who have used Some of his info and been fine, but that's the Key~ SOME of the info, and only what's applicable to your own family. :)

Upvote 0

KJVisTruth

HisInstructionsAreOurs,Ou rObstructionsAreHis
Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I like Dr. Sears' books. He's pretty down to earth about the basics, and discusses a lot of options. He also has practical experience (he's a practicing pediatrician, has 8 children, most are grown now).

:thumbsup: I definitely recommend Dr. Sears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gary Ezzo is a so-called parenting expert, who is no expert. He is a Christian, who wrote the series "Growing Kids God's Way", "Babywise" (the secular version), and the beginning book in the series "Prep for Parenting". All of these books, his speaking sessions, tapes, videos, etc. are FULL of misinformation and twisted Scripture. Parents who take ONLY the information that works for Them are probably going to be fine with his "parenting philosophy", however his network is set up like a pyramid scheme... you are supposed to only ask questions of the family Above you. You aren't to discuss any of Ezzo's philosophies with "non-Believers" or "non-Ezzo families". I could go on & on... Suffice it to say that it's really not good to even Go there. ;)

Go ahead and google him... you'll get over 160,000 hits. His whole philosophy is Extremely controversial and has caused failure to thrive and dehydration in many infants. I know there are parents on this parenting forum who have used Some of his info and been fine, but that's the Key~ SOME of the info, and only what's applicable to your own family. :)
Ugh.... that sounds terribly creepy!! :eek:

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's been awhile since I had a new baby so I'm not current on what's out there right now. I always liked the what to expect series for their general information about what is happening at each stage in pregnancy and the first year of life. I like Dr. Sears too.

I have to say I think one of the things that's important is knowing some good basics about child development.. it helps then to determine if what you are hearing or reading makes sense in light of what children are capable of (in general) at various stages of development.

Upvote 0
P

PilgrimChild

I've read a lot of books in the past 2.5 yrs, while I was pregnant and currently as DD is going through toddlerhood.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child, by Dr Marc Weissbluth is my #1 recommendation for sleep problems.

Goes into a child's need for restorative and healthy sleep, as well as explains children's and adults' sleep cycles, etc. Also has case studies and a 'troubleshooting' guide for sleep problems.

Excellent book! :thumbs up:

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'll play....

http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Manual-..._bbs_sr_1/105-5459186-2265256?ie=UTF8&s=books (I agree with the person who did the review, helpful for non Christians as well! She has 12 children and a great attitude, and this is a very Christian book)

http://www.amazon.com/Biblical-Parenting-Crystal-Lutton/dp/193058668X (How to parent as a Christian without using spanking, why the author does not believe the Bible teaches to spank, how to discipline by guiding and teaching your child the right behaviors)

http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Ch..._bbs_sr_1/105-5459186-2265256?ie=UTF8&s=books (a Dr. Sears book)

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've read a lot of books in the past 2.5 yrs, while I was pregnant and currently as DD is going through toddlerhood.

Oh and I'll add this since it sounds like you're about to have a two year old. This book is old but really accurate.... I thought they were sitting in my living room writing about MY son. :eek: It was so helpful to know that the annoying... I mean precious ;) ... things he does are normal and have been done for generations.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Two-Year...=pd_bbs_1/105-5459186-2265256?ie=UTF8&s=books

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RoseofLima

This is not exactly what you are looking for- but I highly recommned Our Babies, Our Selves by Meredith Small. It's actually an anthropology book and it compares and contrasts child rearing practices in four cultures from throughout the world. It is a really awesome and amazing book, and I think you would probably enjoy it very much. I think also it might help you expand how you think about child rearing in a different way from just examining particular "methods". That it might sort of help you to examine what the core values are that are what you and your husband hold closest and what to impart to your children.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is not exactly what you are looking for- but I highly recommned Our Babies, Our Selves by Meredith Small. It's actually an anthropology book and it compares and contrasts child rearing practices in four cultures from throughout the world. It is a really awesome and amazing book, and I think you would probably enjoy it very much. I think also it might help you expand how you think about child rearing in a different way from just examining particular "methods". That it might sort of help you to examine what the core values are that are what you and your husband hold closest and what to impart to your children.

This definitely sounds like something I wuold be interested in. I think I'll add it to my Amazon wish list (which is used more for a reminder of what books to buy next LOL)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

This definitely sounds like something I wuold be interested in. I think I'll add it to my Amazon wish list (which is used more for a reminder of what books to buy next LOL)
If you read it- you'll have to let me know what you thought of it. One of my favorite breastfeeding anecdotes comes from that book....it is regards to gorillas :)

Upvote 0
P

PilgrimChild

Ohh... That book sounds really fascinating. I might have to see if I can get a copy of it somehow too! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
P

PilgrimChild

Oh and I'll add this since it sounds like you're about to have a two year old. This book is old but really accurate.... I thought they were sitting in my living room writing about MY son. :eek: It was so helpful to know that the annoying... I mean precious ;) ... things he does are normal and have been done for generations.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Two-Year...=pd_bbs_1/105-5459186-2265256?ie=UTF8&s=books
Thanks for the reference! :)

My DD is currently in her room fighting her nap, after another half-bottle of milk and a nappy change. :sigh:

Upvote 0