Online dating: Horror stories and lessons learned?

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I remember someone saying online dating is the new booty call. From what I've heard I don't think they were wrong.

From what I've heard from women doing online dating, they get one or two decent guys out of dozens sending them dirty pics and messages.

There is an app out there for people who want to meet others for the ultimate in high tech booty calls. I don't recall the name, but it sounded pretty sleezy.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I've heard from women doing online dating, they get one or two decent guys out of dozens sending them dirty pics and messages.
I didn't have that on the Christian dating sites I went to, but lol one woman put in her profile no sex before marriage and I started to talk to some women, she said noone was interested. She didn't even get a wink and she wasn't ugly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ugh, online dating. It's not been all bad for me but generally I get contacted by three different types of men.
1. Guys old enough to be my Dad. No, thank you! I have a great Dad and I don't need a sugar daddy.
2. Guys trying to get money out of me. I'm compassionate but I'm not dumb.
3. Guys who only have one thing on their mind and it's not changing the oil in my car. ha ha ha. Not a chance, buddy.
I have made a friend or two on Christian Mingle but that's about it.

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ironically, I checked my Gmail account and saw a bunch of messages from Christian Mingle. I thought I had deactivated my account...

I had a bunch of smiles but all were from women 70 miles away. Out of curiosity, I did a new search and got two results... Two!!
Quick Search

Within: 25
miles of
Palouse, WA?
Palouse change
Keyword:
Photos only

Search Results

Sort by:

HevChev
Pullman, WA, USA

Match: 93%
Check back soon to find out more about me. Read More

kingfan1
Moscow, ID, USA

Match: 96%
I'm a Christian conservative, I'm an American, a Republican :) I love the outdoors! Ask me more! Read More

Of the two, I've actually met one of them, and she dated a friend who told me she is a manipulative liar who is a Christmas/Easter "Christian"...

Upvote 0

Servant68

Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
3. Guys who only have one thing on their mind and it's not changing the oil in my car. ha ha ha. Not a chance, buddy.

They wanted to rotate your tires??? :p

Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They wanted to rotate your tires??? :p
Exactly, but I was holding out for a lifetime warranty deal but they didn't offer that kind of service. ha ha ha.

Upvote 0

faeriecat

Dec 28, 2014
Woodstock, GA
✟7,646.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ugh. Yeah. So I'm mid 40s, divorced, no kids. About 5 years ago I moved from the far Northeast to live in the 'burbs of Atlanta, so I signed up for some online dating sites. Trying to put down roots and all.

Apparently if you're a mid 40s Christian woman who has never had kids, you're available to "help a lonely 50s good Christian man whose wife is no longer interested in marital relations". Not.

Of course there were the misleading profiles. A person who was "a few pounds overweight" was joking about he got worn out playing Wii golf. He wasn't a few pounds overweight if you catch my mental picture.

The real kicker was the gentleman. Divorced, my age, has kids, local business owner -- which I could google and verify -- said all the right things. Homeowner, etc. My "wingman" and I were discussing this gent and we both agreed something seemed off but couldn't put our fingers on it. About a month after the gentleman and I started talking (we never did meet up for that initial "coffee" date) ... he's on the local news for scamming customers.

I deleted all my profiles then.

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
LOL! God help us. God bless y'all...i wouldn't get NEAR online dating, bless yer hearts :groupray:

Wisdom has spoken in the form of our Brinny.

I hated online dating, but it had a sort of addictive quality to it, so for a period of my life I'd go for a few weeks here and there. That's all I could take at one time, a week or two. I started in thinking I was an attractive, godly, fun, talented, caring person with a lot to offer. But thanks to my online "brothers," I spent quite a bit of time thinking I must be perhaps the most ghastly thing that ever walked. The good news is that the Lord picked me up and dusted me off. I now realize it wasn't me. The concept of online dating makes sense on paper. Problem number one: We aren't paper. It's too easy when a person is not right in front of you to treat them like a commodity. I don't know this for sure, but I walked away from that nasty little period of my life thinking that guys (and perhaps women as well )online, for the most part, are looking for a sort of perfection that does not exist, "If I'm paying money to find a women, she better be...." I'll pass on that thanks.

My personal favorate? Hmmm, was it the guy who told me I was going to hell because I worship Jesus and should only worship God;

Or the guy who when I mentioned I was going to a great Beth Moore Bible study, rather than thinking it was great that I choose to study and be inspired by the Bible, immediately went on attack, and asked "Does she teach men!?!" Oy vey.

Or the guy who wrote to me and said, " Why has a pretty girl like you never been married? Are you grumpy or do you just not like real men?." Nice opening line, guys, be sure to jot that one down--not!

Online dating gets two thumbs down in my book. I think that people can meet nice folks and find meaningful relationships, but I believe those are the exceptions, not the rule. Perdonally, I'm happy to live my life, and let God lead me to someone if He wants me with someone. It's much more peaceful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or the guy who wrote to me and said, " Why has a pretty girl like you never been married? Are you grumpy or do you just not like real men?." Nice opening line, guys, be sure to jot that one down--not!
Hahahahahahaha
Such a charmer!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have never used online dating, but a good friend tried for some years. Her horror stories were more than enough reason for me to keep well away.

The Good Lord sent me my husband and then took him back again. I am in no hurry to repeat the experience.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found someone. He wants to marry me after one message, take care of my kids and he likes hugging and wants to join us when we go to Belgium on a holiday. Just split up in december. My why am I always so stupid to go there? He prayed the Lord for a good wife. Said I'll pray that you find her.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
OLD news, but...

I dated (well, we were engaged in our own right really) to an Indian girl for over two years. It was honestly like having an affair with my own girlfriend. There was SO much sneaking around - it even went to the extent of having to be several yards apart from each other when walking through the streets together in case a member of her family spotted us. It was so stressful at times. We could only really be together at my place, or in a secret garden that I managed to locate - that no one would know was there unless you knew this particular area VERY well.

She wrote the book on lies to tell your parents - how else do you explain the smell of male cologne and an entirely different hair style to when you left, when you walk in through the front door? It's pretty obvious when you left with straight hair that afternoon and then return with the 'just got out of bed look' the following evening - but amazingly, her mother never suspected a thing!

It ended with her going away to India for two weeks where she would then get engaged to an arranged husband. But there was a lesson learned through all of that - don't date an Indian girl if you have hopes of a future. Unless the circumstances are exceptional, then you WILL be on borrowed time. So, if you can't enjoy the fun while it lasts then get out before feelings deepen and become serious.

This was all long before I became a Christian, so let's not fillet me for having a previous life. (Emphasis on the word previous.) Once I found my faith I was a much fuller, more complete version of myself.

But that's another story.

*Edit, although I know this is in Mature Singles I still believe my experience can be of benefit, as this isn't an issue that's limited to any particular age group.

Last edited:
Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,777.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for sharing your story, Reese. I know a guy who married an indian girl .. been quite a while since I've seen them, but at the time they were very happy together.

Yeah, it can work for some. I think it all depends on the generation - my girlfriend lived in India until adolescence, so she was very much a first generation resident over here. Her family lived in a small village, so they were all very much bound to tradition.

Looking back on it, I'm actually lucky to be alive. Ha! Ha!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, it can work for some. I think it all depends on the generation - my girlfriend lived in India until adolescence, so she was very much a first generation resident over here. Her family lived in a small village, so they were all very much bound to tradition.

Looking back on it, I'm actually lucky to be alive. Ha! Ha!

LOL!

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I found someone. He wants to marry me after one message, take care of my kids and he likes hugging and wants to join us when we go to Belgium on a holiday. Just split up in december. My why am I always so stupid to go there? He prayed the Lord for a good wife. Said I'll pray that you find her.

You don't need anyone to tell you he is far too needy; keep well away. :)

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Travelers.Soul

Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So my membership to CM runs out in about 2 months. I will not be renewing. ha ha ha. Why throw good money after bad? Too many fakes, users, or people looking for perfection. I'm sure not all the guys are that bad but after my experience on there I am a little leery.

Upvote 0