Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I first came across the name Matt Talbot from a CTS pamphlet about him which my parents had in the 1950s . I took little notice of him , though my mother seemed to speak well of him . About two years ago I did some online research and Matt Talbot became a hero to me .

Born in Dublin, in 1856, his father worked on the docks and had a difficult time supporting his family. After a few years of schooling, Matt obtained work as a messenger for some liquor merchants; there he began to drink excessively and soon became an alcoholic. For 15 years, until he was 30, he drank heavily.

But one day he decided to take 'the pledge' for three months, make a general confession and begin to attend daily Mass. There is evidence that Matt's first seven years after taking the pledge were especially difficult. Avoiding his former drinking places was hard. He began to pray as intensely as he used to drink. He also tried to pay back people from whom he had borrowed or stolen money while he was drinking.

Most of his life Matt worked as a builder's labourer. He joined the Secular Franciscan Order and from then on began a life of strict penance. He abstained from meat nine months a year and spent hours every night reading the Bible and the lives of the saints. He also prayed the rosary regularly. Though his job did not make him rich, Matt contributed generously to the missions.

After 1923 his health failed and Matt had to quit his job. He died two years later on his way to church on Trinity Sunday.

In 1973 Blessed Pope Paul VI gave him the title Venerable.

Matt Talbot can be considered the patron of men and women struggling with alcoholism and with other addictions .

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Actually I've just found two :) taken back in 2011 - these are the Memorial to Matt Talbot in the Dublin Pro- Cathedral.

IMGP1977.jpg
IMGP1978.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
Actually I've just found two :) taken back in 2011 - these are the Memorial to Matt Talbot in the Dublin Pro- Cathedral.

View attachment 168596 View attachment 168597
Thanks for photos , Anhelyna .

I would like to visit Dublin to see the places associated with Matt Talbot .

In the early 1970s on a Sunday morning I attended the Eucharist at the church of St Francis Xavier , Gardiner Street , where Matt Talbot first received Holy Communion after his conversion and which he frequented regularly .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for photos , Anhelyna .

I would like to visit Dublin to see the places associated with Matt Talbot .

In the early 1970s on a Sunday morning I attended the Eucharist at the church of St Francis Xavier , Gardiner Street , where Matt Talbot first received Holy Communion after his conversion and which he frequented regularly .

You would be more than welcome Colin. :)

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0