LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Have you ever heard this term before in Church circles ?

For example Romans 11v29

Spoken of about the Jews, but applied to us also, is that cheating !?

Should we not just leave it in its context ?

Otherwise we could end up preaching almost anything and using verses to prove our point.

How does all this work gang ?:thumbsup:

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For example Romans 11v29

Otherwise we could end up preaching almost anything and using verses to prove our point.

I have.

However, I don't believe in it. This is how to interpret Scripture.

John 14:26

26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

We can, and more often than not tend to err when we do not involve the Spirit.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by application?

I think there are varied lessons one can draw from any one scripture, but I do not believe they will be out of the context of the whole of the scripture, nor will they be a contradiction to each other.

I'm thinking of one such time when I was trusting God for healing. I had asked God to give me a scripture that I could lay hold of and He gave me "I am free from the law of sin and death."

Now that scripture within it's context is not generally used in a healing situation yet what God showed me (for me) was that there are many sin and death laws that are over the unbeliever. One of them is that as a women who is getting up in years that certain physical problems are to be expected. (I don't want to get into an argument over healing...I'm just sharing my situation). Well, being as I am free from that law, I do not have to put up with it. Therefore, in my situation of needing healing, that scripture became the scripture that I prayed over myself.

In my opinion the application that God gave me for the situation, while not generally used for that situation, did not in any way add or take away from the general context.
fluffy.gif

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For example Romans 11v29

How is it out of context to say that it only applies to the Jews? It is a separate statement.

It is a statment of truth... "God's gifts and his call are irrevocable."

Now granted...he was speaking of Abraham's physical descendants, but we are also children of Abraham, adopted into the family of God by faith and heirs according to the promise.

Remember Esau...the birthright belonged to him, however he counted it as nothing and sold it for a bowl of soup.

Those who have heard the Gospel of Jesus and or received it and then turned away from it, have done the same as Esau...through apostasy they have sold their birthright for a bowl of soup (chosen this temporary life over the eternal life to come).

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have.

However, I don't believe in it. This is how to interpret Scripture.

John 14:26

26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

We can, and more often than not tend to err when we do not involve the Spirit.

Of course, the problem with this is, we have hundreds of people claiming they are led by the Spirit into truth … except they seem to have been led to a different truth than the other "Spirit-led" person. So, how do you know which one was really led by the Spirit?

This seems to be the norm for this forum. Many of us claim to be led by the Spirit but we seem to be led in totally different directions.

~Xavier Money

One advantage of talking to yourself is that at least you know somebody is listening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
How is it out of context to say that it only applies to the Jews? It is a separate statement.

It is a statment of truth... "God's gifts and his call are irrevocable."

Now granted...he was speaking of Abraham's physical descendants, but we are also children of Abraham, adopted into the family of God by faith and heirs according to the promise.

Remember Esau...the birthright belonged to him, however he counted it as nothing and sold it for a bowl of soup.

Those who have heard the Gospel of Jesus and or received it and then turned away from it, have done the same as Esau...through apostasy they have sold their birthright for a bowl of soup (chosen this temporary life over the eternal life to come).

I guess I skipped right over the verse mentioned in the op did'nt I :D

In ref to the particular verse mentioned it is talking about God. He Himself claims "I CHANGE NOT", and "I AM THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER". I believe that needs to be read just as it is. However, there are many here who will tell you that HE's not the same God now as He was in the OT.

The scripture in Rom is true "God's gifts and his call are irrevocable." He does not give it and then take it away...contrary I believe to what Job said, "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away". Of course one could say that the verse in Rom is talking about spiritual gifts while Job was referring to earthly gifts. Either way, we are to believe God and not bow to man's interpretation of what God says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about this one....

Philippians 2:12-15

12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, the problem with this is, we have hundreds of people claiming they are led by the Spirit into truth … except they seem to have been led to a different truth than the other "Spirit-led" person. So, how do you know which one was really led by the Spirit?
quite simple...you know them by the fruit they produce.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and this one...

1st John 2:26-27

26 I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

Upvote 0

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
OP,
I can see your point. Let me ask these questions to you:

Do what Jesus spoke to his disciples not apply to me at all?
Does Paul's letter to Timothy have nothing to do with me?

I think we need discernment, not generalization.

Rupert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
All the answers are great.

Thank you.

Jimbo's one I thought was so true - we ALL believe we have THE revelation:p

I wouldn't say that any of us have THE revelation. We do have A revelation though. We see only part of the picture while HE see's it all. I think we all will be surprised when we do see the complete revelation of scriptures. I think that many of us who think we are in disagreement with each other will realize that each revelation is just a part of the puzzle that is come together at our meeting HIM. I think we all (hopefully) will be correct about something, and we all will most likely be wrong about even more.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
OP,

Rupert

I think there are some specific situations that are spoken specifically to certain people. However, God being the same Yesterday, Today, and Forever will not have any changes in regards to His instructions on the way to live a happy and productive life. The instructions given by the disciples in their letters to the church were per God. They got it from the Holy Spirit as He illuminated the only scriptures as of that date that they had. They were addressing specific situations and pulling from the scriptures to do it. The bottom line instructions are applicable to all. Not a list of do's and don'ts but a life of love towards God and one's neighbor.
inlove2.gif

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OP,

Rupert

A most excellent point! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
With that in mind.

How does the "scriptures are of no private interpretaion" fit in to all this:thumbsup:

Interpretation is simply man’s view of God’s revelation. Revelation is what God says, while interpretation is the meaning we give to what He has said. We have a way of confusing the two, identifying what we suppose the scriptures to teach with what they actually teach. Those who deny that they interpret, but simply “take the Bible for what it says,” are only kidding themselves. There is no way to make sense of any literature except by ascertaining its meaning. This is true of the simplest sentences, whether in the Bible or out. If we are told “The man made the horse fast,” we have to judge by context what it means, for it could refer to hurrying an animal, causing him to go without food, tying him, or hurriedly carving him out of wood or stone. If Jesus tells us that he is “the bread come down out of heaven,” we don’t just take it for what it says. One who doesn’t interpret does nothing. It is important that we realize that we do interpret and that we are not infallible interpreters.[

I found an answer to my own question^_^

Upvote 0
C

Cassidy

Yeh well...it depends doesn't it?

Let's take, for instance, the scripture "Jesus wept". I think it's obvious to all reading that he wept...he didn't laugh, or sleep or do cartwheels...he wept! Now people can take that and say...well Jesus was crying because he was sad, he obviously didn't have the joy of the Lord...or some might say that he was crying out of happiness, that his happiness was overflowing. But at the end of the day...no one can take anything out of that scripture other than 'Jesus wept"...he cried!

Now to find out the why's and wherefore's etc...one must read the whole story...where was Jesus, what happened and why did he weep. <----this is the part that people miss. And by reading small parts without taking the 'whole' into consideration then that's where interpretations go wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.