One in five Americans have no religious affiliation, survey finds

Carbon 5

Jan 30, 2004
Colorado
✟15,429.00
Faith
Agnostic
One in five Americans have no religious affiliation, survey finds - NY Daily News

More Americans than ever say they don’t identify with an organized religion — a trend that is growing among all segments of the population, a poll released Tuesday found.

One in five American adults, or 19.6% of the population, are now religiously unaffiliated, a Pew Center/PBS survey finds. Atheists and agnostics now make up about 6% of the U.S. population.

The number of unaffiliated is now at its highest point ever and has increased 5% in the past five years,the poll found.

Future political implications?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟375,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The story is not a rise in unbelief, it's a rise in the unchurched. More people are falling away from traditional organized religion. Seems to me that folks who don't buy into religious doctrines will more likely be skeptical of political ones, too. Meaning more independent voters, not wedded to the orthodoxies of either major party. And if both parties have to moderate their positions to attract these voters, that's a very good thing. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Museveni

Homo Sapiens Invictus
Feb 28, 2007
Sweden
✟8,845.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Well The Nazis did say that its a good thing for leaders that so few people think for themselves so for the future implications of this?

Leaders/politicians are screwed? Or at the very least are gonna have to work harder. This would be the case even if as the previous poster stated that they are simply leaving the "leadership" of the church behind while still staying christian.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,198,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I suspect that Christians without church affiliation make up the majority of the group, and with scandals in various churches over the years, I can hardly blame them.

I would say that the majority of the group is made up of generic theists, as much as american atheist groups may want to claim them as their own, with sympathies towards Christianity as if you find a generic theist in the US that's their background the vast majority of the time.

I would contend that most of them do not hold to any of the teachings of Jesus or the church very strongly outside of the universal be nice, don't murder each other generalities.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe this means Christians are failing and need to get busy.
I also believe the people that no longer consider themselves Christians haven't ventured so far from their beliefs.
So for now, the political wind won't shift. But when their kids grow up, they will have a shift, because they won't have the core beliefs instilled in them as much as their parents.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,198,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So for now, the political wind won't shift. But when their kids grow up, they will have a shift, because they won't have the core beliefs instilled in them as much as their parents.

It's not even a matter of waiting for the next generation. The group with the largest percentage of non-religous members is young adults who are just coming into their own with a full third having no religious affiliation.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Is it still possible to be a Christian yet unaffiliated to any church? Absolutely. I suspect that Christians without church affiliation make up the majority of the group, and with scandals in various churches over the years, I can hardly blame them.

Well judging by how the OP says 6% are non-religious(Agnostics/atheists), the rest of the 19.6% is likely made up of people unaffiliated with any specific branch of a religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,151.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The story is not a rise in unbelief, it's a rise in the unchurched. More people are falling away from traditional organized religion. Seems to me that folks who don't buy into religious doctrines will more likely be skeptical of political ones, too. Meaning more independent voters, not wedded to the orthodoxies of either major party. And if both parties have to moderate their positions to attract these voters, that's a very good thing. :thumbsup:

The rise of unbelief and organized religion is probably linked to the politicization of religion in the first place IMO.

If the political parties can't count on the religious vote anymore religion will become less politicized and thus the problem fade.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,198,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps some reasoned discussion of policy priorities?

Sure and maybe zero point energy with a little world peace on the side.

Cynical? Me? That takes too much conviction.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well judging by how the OP says 6% are non-religious(Agnostics/atheists), the rest of the 19.6% is likely made up of people unaffiliated with any specific branch of a religion.

You have a big group of the nonreligious (over a third, less than a half - don't remember the exact numbers) who are "spiritual but not religious." A lot of these and some of the "Believe in God" portion of the nonreligious are going to be, essentially deists, with some others being like several friends of mine who "don't know what they believe in, not the christian god, but something bigger than us." They're not people swayed by religious arguments or appeals to "traditional morality."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,151.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sure and maybe zero point energy with a little world peace on the side.

Cynical? Me? That takes too much conviction.

If the lack of religious affiliation means a rise in skepticism and cynicism then it probably means that politicians won't be successfully by kissing babies.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found another interesting article on the subject here that details how the demographic shift may effect the political landscape.

One can only hope.

The GOP is the party of Old White guys. Were it not for the Great recession that began in 2007, the GOP as we know it would be taking a standing eight count.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟940,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The GOP is the party of Old White guys. Were it not for the Great recession that began in 2007, the GOP as we know it would be taking a standing eight count.
Demographics prove your first statement wrong. Your second statement makes no sense. The GOP has constantly been blamed for the recession, so how does this make any sense?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0