colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aaron and I went to go see the doctor for our 36 week appointment, and he did a growth ultrasound on little Ambrose. Turns out little Ambrose isn't so little. His head is measuring the size of a 40 week baby, his femur is the size of 39 week baby, and his estimated weight is 8lbs 6 oz!!!!!!!!! Obviously, the ultrasounds can be off, but even then he's big for a 36 week old baby.

Last edited:

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Um...Ouch?

Seriously though Colleen, that means he's healthy right?

My brother was nine pounds.

He is doing great! He has a very healthy heart beat. Worse case scenario he gets too big and in a few weeks we have to schedule a c-section. But, the doctor said there is a chance his weight gain will taper off. Though most babies gain a half a pound a week from here to 40 weeks. That math isn't pretty ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Big and healthy. My prayers to avoid the C-Section if possible.

Our appt is tomorrow. I don't think we have a growth ultrasound scheduled. We have the Group B Strep test tomorrow. That is a big baby tough.

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aaron and I went to go see the doctor for our 36 week appointment, and he did a growth ultrasound on little Ambrose. Turns out little Ambrose isn't so little. He head is measuring the size of a 40 week baby, his femur is the size of 39 week baby, and his estimated weight is 8lbs 6 oz!!!!!!!!! Obviously, the ultrasounds can be off, but even then he's big for a 36 week old baby.

i think i would count on them being off on their estimate more then anything. nice tool to scare woman into opting for c section IMO. my first was 9lbs 1 oz and came out easier then my second... 8lbs 9 oz... all because first one presented himself well, and the second had her head turned the other way, and had an arm coming out at the same time, so she could say hello on her way out ^_^ they both had same size head. even if baby gain 1/2 lb a week, doesn't mean his head is growing in proportion to that weight gain...

hmmm, that's wierd, i was told my babies had big head, at 35.5 cm, but i just did a percentile chart calculation, and it tell me they are in the 50 percentile. while lenght and weight are in the 90-95 percentile. why in the world did they tell me they had big heads :confused:

ah well, doesn't matter now hehe. they are healthy and i survived hehe... i know it's worrisome, not nowing how birth's gonna go and if there are gonna be any complications... i think we all go through that for our first. i'll be praying that everyting goes well :prayer:

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
i think i would count on them being off on their estimate more then anything. nice tool to scare woman into opting for c section IMO. my first was 9lbs 1 oz and came out easier then my second... 8lbs 9 oz... all because first one presented himself well, and the second had her head turned the other way, and had an arm coming out at the same time, so she could say hello on her way out ^_^ they both had same size head. even if baby gain 1/2 lb a week, doesn't mean his head is growing in proportion to that weight gain...

hmmm, that's wierd, i was told my babies had big head, at 35.5 cm, but i just did a percentile chart calculation, and it tell me they are in the 50 percentile. while lenght and weight are in the 90-95 percentile. why in the world did they tell me they had big heads :confused:

ah well, doesn't matter now hehe. they are healthy and i survived hehe... i know it's worrisome, not nowing how birth's gonna go and if there are gonna be any complications... i think we all go through that for our first. i'll be praying that everyting goes well :prayer:

I really don't think he's trying to scare me into a c-section as he definitely wasn't trying to push one on me, but wanted to let me know it might have to be a possibility closer to my due date. I kinda knew it was a possibility. My mom had an emergency c-section with my older brother because his head wouldn't fit through her pelvic spread even with forceps and such, and my younger brother was 10 pounds even though they took him a month early. We have big babies in my family :)

Upvote 0

Anygma

Oct 22, 2006
NB
✟9,426.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I really don't think he's trying to scare me into a c-section as he definitely wasn't trying to push one on me, but wanted to let me know it might have to be a possibility closer to my due date. I kinda knew it was a possibility. My mom had an emergency c-section with my older brother because his head wouldn't fit through her pelvic spread even with forceps and such, and my younger brother was 10 pounds even though they took him a month early. We have big babies in my family :)

ah, okie, i trust family history better then ultrasound estimate... call me weird like that ^_^
the reason i believe that, although they won't "push" c-sections on woman, they do encourage them a lot more in subtle ways... for example, in our province, the instance of c section rose 5% in 5 years and some hospital have 15%+ more c section then others for an average of 1 cesarean every 3 birth. are the woman and babies much different there? i would like to think not. but c-section pays more then a regular birth and is easy to schedule in normal work hours... convenience is sometime unfortunately, a big motivator. i understand that it's sometime necessary, but 1/3 or even 1/10 is a lot...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
I wish they wouldn't undermine women's confidence like that. It irritates me to no end. Seriously--end of term ultrasounds are very, very inaccurate--there is HUGE margin of error. The further along you are, the greater the margin of error in ultrasounds.

I've known plenty of women who have birthed upright and birthed 10,11, 12 lb. babies--without even tearing. Your mom probably also had her feet in freakin' stirrups and had all her pubic hair shaved off after getting an enema.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't be panicking - when Anna was born, the lady in the next bed gave birth to a baby who was 12 lb 8 oz - and she did it naturally. It can be done!

Just DON'T let them make you lie flat on your back - you'll have no luck then - lying flat doesn't let your pelvis open up like standing or squatting does, so if bub is on the larger side, you'll do much better.

Angus was 8lb 5 oz and he was no trouble :)

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My bro was about 10lbs when he was born - huge baby.

My mum delivered naturally, and, um... it wasn't pretty, to put it lightly.

If he does get too big, a c-section wouldn't be a terrible idea, i don't think.
Yes and no Gwendolyn.... no one wants to be recovering from major abdominal surgery and caring for a newborn baby at the same time if they can help it.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I shouldn't have said anything. I was a little kid when my second brother came along - mum didn't have a c-section, but she did have a long recovery because she needed major surgery after the birth. Dad took care of us, while she regained her strength.

Reactions: Assisi
Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure that Colleen's medical staff will be in the best position to help Colleen make her decision. :)

Did you get a good look at Ambrose Colleen? Who do you think he takes after?

Thank you. We had a 3 d ultrasound done a few weeks ago, and he is adorable. He has the cutest chubby cheeks :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.