Gastonia NC
✟4,424.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've seen this before (I like the I'll Be Honest minsitry and Pastor Tim Conway) :) Thanks!

No problem, I like that website too. I might find something every now and then that I dont agree with but for the most part its pretty sound stuff.

Upvote 0

Hupomone10

Veteran
Mar 21, 2010
Here
✟12,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree, im not disagreeing about Godly sorrow. However there is a real problem for some to obsess with how much Godly sorrow they think they should feel, this causes a person to take their eyes off of Christ and can lead a person to despair. Trust me, I have been there and so have many others in this forum.
Incredible insight, Robert. Whenever you doubt God being at work in your life, remember that the flesh doesn't see such things as you just said. When we focus on a thing, even a Christian life thing like godly sorrow or repentance, beyond just the fact that we should have it, it can turn our focus from Christ and onto Consecrated Self and all that Consecrated Self can do, or unfortunately NOT do. As good as it seems, any focus on Self and Self's ability to perform is to get the focus off Christ.

Something I remind myself often:

If I live the Christian life by self-effort & personal strength, I will overcome only what I am capable of overcoming. My works will be wood, hay, and stubble.
If I live the Christian life by faith in Christ, Christ will do through me what I cannot do for myself. My works will be gold, silver, costly stones. (1 Cor. 3:11-15)

By my own efforts, “to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not," (Rom 7:18).
By faith in Christ, God’s Spirit is at work in me to will and to do what pleases Him (Phil. 2:13)

Upvote 0

ja38son

Apr 9, 2011
✟7,715.00
Faith
Christian
I agree, im not disagreeing about Godly sorrow. However there is a real problem for some to obsess with how much Godly sorrow they think they should feel, this causes a person to take their eyes off of Christ and can lead a person to despair. Trust me, I have been there and so have many others in this forum.

Is she talking about the initial repentence of the non-believer or the continual repentence of the Christian believer? I can understand an emotional conversion with tears and sorrow. On the contrary, ripping your shirt, yelling into heaven in dramatic pose, and falling to the earth out of devestation because you lied to your neighbor about liking her meatloaf, that type of repentence is a bit overkill don't you think? :bow: That would have to be exausting on a daily basis. lol better to offend the neighbor about her cooking.

Upvote 0