On Poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Yesterday at 04:52 AM Andrew said this in Post #49

That's becos you are pro-Catholic or Catholic. As far as many charismatic churches as well as this Forum are concerned, TBN/WOF is very much orthodox and accepted.

What is considered unorthodox though, among protestants in this protestant section, are the doctrines of the Catholics. So dont shoot yourself in the foot.

Andrew, come now. Even in Charismatic circles TBN is questionable. And is definitely unorthodox according to mainline protestant churches.

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">water: no no. God wants us to have expensive cars and fancy homes and gilded furniture and to wear Prada shoes and have Gucci handbags . . .<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN:mad: please . . .</SPAN> :rolleyes:

&nbsp;

he wants us to be comfortable and soft.&nbsp; HE doesn't want us to suffer in any way shape or form . . . . :confused:

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

nikolai_42

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
✟8,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Today at 02:29 AM Andrew said this in Post #59

now let me ask u a simple question: "What is the curse of the Law?"

&nbsp;I'm not sure what this has to do with the question at hand. But the curse of the law is certain condemnation for it is apart from faith. Because no man is justified in the eyes of God by the law.

&nbsp;How does that relate to the prosperity gospel?

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"How does that relate to the prosperity gospel?"

I would say that in my studies the majority of the "prosperity gospel's" teaching is wrong in that it 1. puts our faith being of a higher power then God thus making our will above his and 2. says that if you are poor then its from lack of faith. This is simply not true and if you read throughout christian history it shows that. The dominican order is one of the easiest ways to see that.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey guys look, if you cant believe prosperity and health is part of the Gospel then that's up to you. God's not gonna force it on you and neither will I.

I think I rather spend my time "arguing" or sharing with someone who may be genuinely curious to find out and who have a desire to not suffer lack and walk in health all the days of his life. Otherwise its just a waste of time and typing.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ok, hopefully, this is my last post here (to nikolai 42), and just in case someone passes by and reads it and gets it and is blessed by it:

According to scripture, this is the curse of the Law:

Ga 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

So the curse of the law is this: if you dont obey the Law fully, you'll be cursed.

Now, bear with me. My next question to you is this: What will we be cursed with? What are the curses levelled on man if he does not obey the Law fully?

Read Deu 28 for the listing of curses. Notice how there are many scriptures curses on poverty as well as sickness:

Deu 28
15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

poverty curses:

16 Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.
17 Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store. [eg your refrigerator is always empty]
18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep. [eg your business just aint getting the profits]
38 Thou shalt carry much seed out into the field, and shalt gather but little in; for the locust shall consume it. [you put in much effort and invest much, but reap little]
44 He shall lend to thee, and thou shalt not lend to him: he shall be the head, and thou shalt be the tail. [you are always borrowing from others]

sickness curses:

59 Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.
60 Moreover he will bring upon thee all the diseases of Egypt, which thou wast afraid of; and they shall cleave unto thee.
61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed. [in other words ALL dieseases are curses]
27 The LORD will smite thee with the botch of Egypt, and with the emerods, and with the scab, and with the itch, whereof thou canst not be healed.
35 The LORD shall smite thee in the knees, and in the legs, with a sore botch that cannot be healed, from the sole of thy foot unto the top of thy head.

(The listing on blessings are of cse the opposite -- ie health and prosperity and other things like not being barren.)

Now you know what the curse of the Law as defined by scripture above. Then read Galatians 3:13 which says that Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the Law through hanging on the tree, ie the cross:

Ga 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

What does that simply mean? It means Christ has redeemed us from all those curses you find in Deu 28 under the Law system! Now its not just lack and sickness, but the curses also include adultery (ie your spouse goes and sleeps with someone else), children going into rebellion, inability to conceive etc etc. -- all the bad things in life.

So can you begin to appreciate how much Christ has done for you? Can you see that healing and prosperity is part of the redeeming work of Christ, becos when Christ hung on that tree, he redeemed us from the curse of the Law, which means he redeemed us from all those lack and sickness curses you just read! So, can you understnd now what i mean when I say that healing and prosperity (and much more) is part of the redemptive work of Christ? Its part of the cross, there's no escaping this simple truth. I believe the Apostolic Movt also understnds this concept of Divine Exchanges.

Now this is just one aspect of it. Read the blessings in Deu 28 too. The blessings of abundance and health. Now if the OC people had all these blessings, do you think we in a superior NC covenant are worse off? think abt it. It is a MUCH MORE covenant! (Roms 5)

btw: anyone who honestly studies the curses and blessings in Deu 28 will never come to the conclusion that poverty and sickness can be a blessing. You'll never find poverty and lack listed by God as a blessing. And the sickness curse of v61 COVERS ALL dieseases, IOW there's no such thing as a sickness that's a blessing from God.

Ok. Take it or leave it. I'm outta here. :)

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
The Health and wealth gospel denies the place and value of suffering. Christ said we are to take up our Cross and FOLLOW him. Read the Passion of the Lord. Suffering is pretty integral to the Christian walk. But for some reason, H&W people say if you are suffering you are a fool. :( No where in the Bible does God say following Him would be easy or cushy - only worth it. H&W focuses on the Temporal. We are to have our eyes on the ETERNAL.

I still find it funny that H&W is a WESTERN notion. lol You don't see many people in Hati speak a corvette into their lives by faith . . . . :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Suffering is pretty integral to the Christian walk."
Amen. Christ himself suffered, we will undergo the same thing because it is the will of God. As you under go suffering you are refined like gold. Suffering burns our the impurites and brings who you are closer to who God wants you to be. Tests are the way to improve your spiritual walk. :)

Upvote 0

Terri

Senior Veteran
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
✟20,061.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Today at 11:49 AM SUNSTONE said this in Post #72

Should I pray that God makes me suffer? Should I pray that God makes others suffer?

SUNSTONE I pray everyday that God makes me as much like Him (in character) as anyone can possibly be.

Beware if you tell him this--He will take you at your word--and there might be suffering involved.
;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Should I pray that God makes me suffer? Should I pray that God makes others suffer?
"

You should pray that God lets you go through what christ did so you will rely more on him and less on you. If that involves suffereing or not, that's up to God. Your job is to 1. praise him 2. love others 3. Love him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.