Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) struck down a bill that would have banned gender-affirming care for minors, preserving such care for residents beyond his state as well, because families of transgender youths who live in states with bans have been traveling to Ohio for treatment.

Republicans, who have a supermajority in the legislature, could override DeWine’s veto and are expected to push back.

“These are gut-wrenching decisions that should be made by parents and should be informed by teams of doctors who are advising them,” DeWine continued. “Were I to sign House Bill 68, or were House Bill 68 to become law, Ohio would be saying that the state, that the government knows better what is medically best for a child than the two people who love that child the most: The parents.”

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't think DeWine was going to veto the bill, but good for him! I would have thought that government intrusion into private family health matters would be anathema to conservatives if I haven't seen otherwise.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't think DeWine was going to veto the bill, but good for him! I would have thought that government intrusion into private family health matters would be anathema to conservatives if I haven't seen otherwise.
That's the thing, though. These aren't "conservatives." They're... something else. MAGAdonians? Something. They don't really care about traditional conservative issues like small government and fiscal responsibility. They are much more authoritarian and want to use the power of the government however they can to punish the "others" and enforce their own views of morality on the rest of the population.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's the thing, though. These aren't "conservatives." They're... something else. MAGAdonians? Something. They don't really care about traditional conservative issues like small government and fiscal responsibility. They are much more authoritarian and want to use the power of the government however they can to punish the "others" and enforce their own views of morality on the rest of the population.
I know, but they identify as conservative....

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
"None of [the families] that I talked to talked about surgery," said DeWine on Friday. "That's not where they were going in the discussion. And I think that's, frankly, a fallacy that's out there that, you know, this goes right to surgery. It just doesn't. All the children's hospitals say that we don't do surgeries."

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,570.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
"None of [the families] that I talked to talked about surgery," said DeWine on Friday. "That's not where they were going in the discussion. And I think that's, frankly, a fallacy that's out there that, you know, this goes right to surgery. It just doesn't. All the children's hospitals say that we don't do surgeries."

Why is Governor discussing facts? He should know that most of his party doesn't care about that.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

It's christian nationalism. The XNats won't be satisfied until everything is done according to their interpretation of their holy books.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Many Ohio Republicans have attacked the state’s Republican governor, Mike DeWine, over his veto on Friday of a bill that would have banned transgender medical procedures for minors in the state.

DeWine on Friday announced that he vetoed Substitute House Bill 68, known as the Ohio Saving Adolescents from Experimentation (SAFE) Act, which was passed by the Ohio General Assembly on Dec. 13 and would have banned doctors from prescribing puberty blockers and cross-sex hormones to minors, as well as performing surgeries to change their sexual physiology, according to the text of the bill. DeWine’s veto was attacked by several prominent Republicans from the state, who criticized the decision as being incongruous with conservative values.

“There are many things the law rightfully says no one, including parents, may do to children,” Republican Sen. J.D. Vance of Ohio wrote on X, formerly Twitter. “I’m extremely disappointed in the governor’s decision and hope it is overridden.”

The bill would have also prohibited biological boys from competing in girls’ sporting competitions. DeWine has previously opposed such bans.

“This is very simple. We have a duty to protect safety and fair competition for female athletes and to protect children from being subjected to permanent, life-altering medical procedures before the age of 18,” Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose of Ohio, who is running for the senate seat currently held by Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown, said. “The state legislature should do the right thing and override this veto!”

Republicans have a two-thirds majority in both houses of the Ohio General Assembly, enabling them to override DeWine’s veto if all GOP legislators supported the bill without any defections. However, on final passage, only 62 Republicans in the House of Representatives voted for the bill, while the votes of five Republicans were unrecorded, making it unclear whether DeWine’s veto may be sustained.

“I support it for two main reasons: Men should not compete in women’s sports. Permanent medical decisions concerning gender should not be made when you are a child,” Husted wrote on Thursday. “I hope the SAFE Act will become law in Ohio.”

Upvote 0