Not open for further replies.

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I've been tagged to come up w/these kind of things and wondering if you have had any that you partiuclarly liked. So far I have:

- happy hours :)
- escape room
- lunch in conf room with a guest speaker or some game/activity to do
- start monthly mtgs with a 15 min ice-breaker (like "what was your first car" etc)

Not sure what if any funding we can get, but open to either ones which do or don't lend themselves to it....

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been tagged to come up w/these kind of things and wondering if you have had any that you partiuclarly liked. So far I have:

- escape room
- start monthly mtgs with a 15 min ice-breaker (like "what was your first car" etc)

Not sure what if any funding we can get, but open to either ones which do or don't lend themselves to it....

Do we work together?

I like happy hours, booze cruises, sporting events with the food and bar tabs picked up, anything that allows free form conversation and fun. I detest things like cooking classes, escape rooms, etc. I generally prefer freedom to structure though, I usually resent "mandatory fun" events that require us to do some task together. A good compromise event was breakfast and barhopping, followed by a tour of Lambeau Field, followed by an afternoon at a Curling club. I don't like anything that takes place in a conference room or that people wear work clothes to.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Nerf dodge ball.
Thx but we have nerf battles around here already. Think bigger. ;)

ice breakers are the best!
they relax everyone, get them to think creatively,
do not require physical dexterity,
and they help to form a common bond.:)
Thx also, but happy hours also already happen off and on. I was trying to come up with something a little different....

Do we work together?
Sounds like you're way farther north than me, so I doubt it. :)

I usually resent "mandatory fun" events that require us to do some task together.
Well the whole point is doing something together, but it doesn't have to be a "task" exactly. The idea is something fun.....

I don't like anything that takes place in a conference room or that people wear work clothes to.
Our work clothes are casual so not an issue. :) And it may be something at work, like in a conf room....

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd say think of things that suit the introverts, too. For some of us, group activities are a drain rather than a gift. But you can do team building by having people write things that go into a lighthearted newsletter, for example, and that suits introverts well.

And yes, avoid the "mandatory fun" vibe. Awful.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Find someone who.......is an ice-breaker I have used that worked well for shy Asian students. Everyone given a piece of paper with a title "find someone who" on the top.
Then they find someone in the room who: (examples)
-will vote for Donald Trump
-got a speeding fine this year
-has been to Alaska
-has driven a BMW
-drinks whiskey
-is Catholic but doesn't go to Church
-is a practising Buddhist
-can solve a Rubiks cube in under a minute
-has a post graduate degree
-likes Japanese food

[They write the name of the person next to each one. Of course try to get different names.]

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Find someone who.......is an ice-breaker I have used that worked well for shy Asian students. Everyone given a piece of paper with a title "find someone who" on the top.
Then they find someone in the room who: (examples)
-will vote for Donald Trump
-got a speeding fine this year
-has been to Alaska
-has driven a BMW
-drinks whiskey
-is Catholic but doesn't go to Church
-is a practising Buddhist
-can solve a Rubiks cube in under a minute
-has a post graduate degree
-likes Japanese food

[They write the name of the person next to each one. Of course try to get different names.]

^^^ this is good. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
We could have an ice-breaker/team builder for our forums here:

-find someone who is not catholic but posts on OBOB every day
-find someone who prays the Rosary every day
-find someone who is a revert to Catholicism
-find someone who converted to Catholicism this year
-find someone who goes to Mass every day
-find someone who is sinless
-find someone who only posts on OBOB
-find someone who has read Summa Theologica
-find someone who can quote the Bible, memorising chapter and verse numbers
-find someone who prefers Old testament to New Testament
-find someone who thinks the Cleveland Indians will win the World Series

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

- escape room

I vote happy hours. :p

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I vote happy hours. :p

Everybody likes getting drunk on the company tab, and even the introverts get comfortable. People say things and use language that they wouldn't in the office, and that builds trust. Few things are more effective at building a bond between coworkers than freely letting them have information about you that they could use to portray you in a bad light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Everybody likes getting drunk on the company tab, and even the introverts get comfortable. People say things and use language that they wouldn't in the office, and that builds trust. Few things are more effective at building a bond between coworkers than freely letting them have information about you that they could use to portray you in a bad light.
Thanks for the positive spin :rolleyes:

None of these things are true across the board as you imply; in fact, I've little doubt they are by far the exception. In fact I've been to my share of such things work-related over the years and not once do I recall anyone getting drunk etc etc. Sorry to hear that your experiences have been different.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My vote is for escape rooms! I'm team builder. I know my task is to guarantee a friendly, fun and dynamic atmosphere, the perfect setting for a group to relax and bond together. I often book rooms through calgary escape . I believe such activities can show how things can come together and work as a unit to solve the puzzles and escape the room. So go for it and you never regret!
So did you visit Calgary? I think it's my favourite Canadian large city.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.