laiidbackguy

Feb 29, 2008
✟15,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So this is not about me but a friend.

My friend is 24, and wanted to come over to Korea and teach (I'm currently here). He had a job, his own place, etc, but in preparation for the trip, he quit, and moved back in with his parents until it was time to go.

So his parents constantly badger him about his life choices and what he should eventually do as a career. Basically they still try to direct his life. They also did not want him going to Korea but he was going to go anyways.

So a couple of weeks ago, right before he is about to come over here, he talks to my other friend (also christian) and his friend tells him about scriptures in relation to obeying your parents (Eph. 6, etc) and that this even applies into adulthood...meaning even when you are 50 years old, if your parents tell you not to take a job, you are not supposed to take it because it goes against obeying your parents.

Now I thought this was ludicris as I always thought those scriptures were talking to children. So now after having this brought to his attention by our mutual friend, he has changed his mind on going to Korea because his father told him not to go. I'm like this is a 24 year old man and I'm just wondering is this interpretation right.

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ephesians 6

Children and Parents

1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."4Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

This command has two parts, one for the "child" and the other for the parent. As a Child we are not left to the whims or will of an unreasonable parent. We are to Honor them in so far as scripture, and our relationship with God will allow. Now I don't know how this applies to this particular situation, but to interpret Honoring your parent as doing anything He or She says, is in fact not Honoring them at all. We are to Honor them using The Lords guide lines. Meaning if something they say, goes against what the Lord has written then we are to honor them by following the Lord's instruction.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.