✟15,459.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The title says it all.

Obama: U.S. "Not A Christian Nation Or A Jewish Nation Or A Muslim Nation" (VIDEO)

I for one am disgusted.

So, thoughts everyone?

I'm just not sure how we aren't a Christian Nation when we were founded on the Word of God--- not to mention for religious freedoms, and then there is that whole "one nation under God" thing in the Pledge, not to mention "in God we trust" on all our monetary values.....

I mean really, who is this guy kidding?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟382,264.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I actually agree with that statement, though the "we do not consider ourselves" part is a bit of a stretch. Many have the perception that we are a Christian nation, which we are not. This isn't to say that Christian values have no place in our society by any stretch - I believe they should dominate our society. But we don't need to be a "Christian nation" in order to have that. We don't need a state church. We do need to make sure that we retain free exercise as guaranteed in the Constitution.

Reactions: kermit
Upvote 0
K

Kharak

The title says it all.

Obama: U.S. "Not A Christian Nation Or A Jewish Nation Or A Muslim Nation" (VIDEO)

I for one am disgusted.

So, thoughts everyone?

I'm just not sure how we aren't a Christian Nation when we were founded on the Word of God--- not to mention for religious freedoms, and then there is that whole "one nation under God" thing in the Pledge, not to mention "in God we trust" on all our monetary values.....

Our original motto was 'E plubirus unum', it was changed during the McCarthy era. The original Pledge did not have the, 'under god' either; another McCarthy era relic.

This nation was not founded on the word of God, unless he condoned slavery of course. It was not founded on Judeo-Christian ethic, for the term itself is a prank: Martin Luther of old was an anti-Semite, and how many times did the Christians of old massacre Jews in the Middle Ages? The more that people claim this nation as "Christian", the more I am entitled to laugh that off as an epic prank befitting of the Greek pantheon.

This is a nation of many backgrounds, built on English common law, and owes no allegiance to any religion.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This statement is a little over 211 years old.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

The Treaty of Tripoli was passed in 1797, a little over 13 years after we where officially recognized and was passed unanimously in the Senate (it was smaller and less partisan then) as well as then President John Adams.

Our legal system completely ignores the first 5 commandments in the Ten Commandments and Capitalism is based on coveting other people’s property 40% counts as ‘Christian’?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
T

Tenka

missjasmine said:
I'm just not sure how we aren't a Christian Nation when we were founded on the Word of God
In what way is the US "founded on the Word of God"?
not to mention for religious freedoms,
That is not a Biblical Christian value.
kharack said:
This nation was not founded on the word of God, unless he condoned slavery of course.
Which it did.

Upvote 0

Sibs

Dec 22, 2008
Botswana
✟15,162.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ish I for one am glad this has come out in the open! I ALWAYS thought USA was a Christian nation.....I wonder if the other presidents knew this? Are you going to change the inspription on the money from "in God we trust" I wonder...it would make sense surely if you are agreed that in God you do not trust....this will be interesting!

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟595,254.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
The US was not founded as a Christian nation. The Treaty of Tripoli makes it very clear and given that that treaty was signed by folk involved in the foundation of the US as a separate nation, they would have known.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The US was not founded as a Christian nation. The Treaty of Tripoli makes it very clear and given that that treaty was signed by folk involved in the foundation of the US as a separate nation, they would have known.

No it doesn't. Referencing that to make the case is one of the most common leftist distortion of history however. As if one treaty with Muslims (out of several) means anything.

What was being conveyed to Muslims was, unlike many European countries, the USA did not have a official national church.

But it did have established state churches. The entire point of the first amendment was to protect those Christian churches.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The title says it all.

I for one am disgusted.

So, thoughts everyone?

"One nation under god" and "In god we trust" are not in the original motto or pledge.

U.S. national mottos: History and constitutionality

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Read Article 11 - this was written in the 1790's.
TreatyofTripoli.gif

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟217,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it doesn't. Referencing that to make the case is one of the most common leftist distortion of history however. As if one treaty with Muslims (out of several) means anything.
It means what it says. It is one of the few references by a founding father that directly addresses the issue of a "Christian nation".

What was being conveyed to Muslims was, unlike many European countries, the USA did not have a official national church.
Then why doesn't it say that?

But it did have established state churches. The entire point of the first amendment was to protect those Christian churches.
But that is not what it says:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Upvote 0