East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Political leaders often get invited to speak about issues in other countries. That is not all that weird or controversial.

I think given what he was talking about, his observation may have been correct. I do not know that integrated schools would be the only or quickest way to make progress, but I am sure there are a number of possibilities. If schools are in fact causing a lot of problems with the way they are teaching, it could be there is a need for the state to step in.

More generally - I am not convinced that separate schools run by religious, or other, communities are a bad thing. In Canada and the US, where for the most part there is only one or two options for public schools, the segregation is clearly by economics. The least well off go to public schools, the most well of to private schools, and those in the middle may do either of those, or homeschool, or go to the better public schools in better districts including by driving their kids to other districts.

I tend to think the British system where any religious school can receive public funding is much better. It tends to be much more respectful of religion as a real part of public life. The system in the US, while trying to level the playing field for religion or non-religion, actually works towards a disrespect of most religion.

In some countries of course they have good systems which are public and universal, and private schools are almost non-existant. They provide really good education to kids in their local communities. That seems like a better option at least that what we have now in North America, though it would mean fewer options. Mind you, those countries have considerably less of an income gap.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
His brother lives off a dollar a day in Kenya. How can anyone take him seriously?>
Exactly.

He disowned the man entirely - and according to the movie of Obama - the guy who investigated - [i watched the movie] - the man is disowned because he saw the flaws of the Africans not learning more from colonialization.

His brother is living in absolute squalor and poverty while Obama doesnt lift one tiny finger to help him. While Obama takes luxury tours of the world - and spends millions or maybe it is billions a year on the tax payers dime.

He does have nerve to suggest it is the Catholics causing issues - he is pitting the 2 religious groups against one another - again.
Like reopening a cut and pouring in salt and standing back laughing.

What purpose or 'good' did he do in clearly slicing up the CC in public?
What good has he undone by telling them Catholic education has to end?

According to the Pope - for 15 years they been working on this relationship - who is he to come in and add fuel to a 'small smoldering fire'?

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This is one of those things that could happen in theory but rarely or not all happens in real life. I went to our parish' s school (K-8) I never found this to be true but I was glad to go to a public high school. I will not send my son to private school religion or secular although it don't think they are wrong I do want my child exposed to a variety of ppl and I have faith in our public school.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly.

He disowned the man entirely - and according to the movie of Obama - the guy who investigated - [i watched the movie] - the man is disowned because he saw the flaws of the Africans not learning more from colonialization.

His brother is living in absolute squalor and poverty while Obama doesnt lift one tiny finger to help him. While Obama takes luxury tours of the world - and spends millions or maybe it is billions a year on the tax payers dime.

He does have nerve to suggest it is the Catholics causing issues - he is pitting the 2 religious groups against one another - again.
Like reopening a cut and pouring in salt and standing back laughing.

What purpose or 'good' did he do in clearly slicing up the CC in public?
What good has he undone by telling them Catholic education has to end?

According to the Pope - for 15 years they been working on this relationship - who is he to come in and add fuel to a 'small smoldering fire'?
Oh come on WA. this hatefest against your CINC is getting a little old.

He stated the obvious about the divisive nature of the education system in Northern Ireland. What part do you disagree with..?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oh come on WA. this hatefest against your CINC is getting a litytle old.

He stated the obvious about the divisive nature of the education system in Northern Ireland. What part do you disagree with..?

Let's look at this in a much more clearer perspective shall we?

Are you not being taught to be tolerant? Are you not being taught to be more charitable?
Are you not a shining example of what is truly being done in Ireland?
Where di you get your ideas?

Is the Church in Ireland teaching divisiveness - because you seem to me to be an example that is just not the cause. Your work and efforts seem to me to be towards peaceful acceptance.

Am i wrong to assume you guys - our Body in Christ are not working on this? By your words only? Your own thotfulness towards peace?

Are you telling me you are working against what the Church is offering?
Are your Bishops dividing?

It seems to me, taking into account your own role model that things are making strives in Ireland between the two. So i read you wrong?

Here is the thing - as a leader of America - he should have done as the Pope suggested - use his words more carefully.

With high influence and a right mindedness he could have helped the peace move along more quickly by not dividing them into 2.
He should have remarked on the great strides they have made and that he hoped things continued along the path of working on them.
he should have given positive feed back in hopes it helped ppl see the resolution could happen.

No - he wouldnt say what he said unless he had a clear motive to cast division once again.

He pitted the two against one another. And i am sorry if no one can see that. His words caused a sharp divide again - because ppl behind him - are approving of this method...and dont see the harm it has and ill affect it will have.

His hatred for Catholics is real. if we dont understand that - take a look at his history against the Church.

he thinks he is cunning - i see the snake for what he is and i dont agree he had the right things to say.

Catholic education should end? What about Protestant education?

Come on Silv - is this really how it has been - are you telling me you self sufficiently learned to want peace without the Church wanting it?
Do you go to Church and have the priests preach against the Protestants?

IS there really still such hatred?

Excepting a few - is this status quo, still as it was?

I still say the weasel should know when to shut his mouth except his agenda is to make sure the Catholic Church has no influence whatsoever.

At least the Pope was more charitable in saying he should have worded himself more carefully. Too bad he knows no decency to do so.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe Obama should spend more time thinking about schools here.
No - no way - if he thinks Catholic schools are divisive - his agenda would be to clearly remove our Catholic education.

No thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The camel's nose in the tent.

Wake up Catholics. If our dear leader can say it on foreign soil, it can (and most probably there will be an attempt) on Catholic schools here. There's already an attempt on Homeschoolers.

If Obama can control the children through the schools, it will be much easier to do what Michelle said (it was caught on tape) "We have to change our history. We have to change our customs."

Translation: Let's get rid of all those nasty Catholics and other religions that are causing me problems. Let's just indoctrinate the kids and make certain that the U.S. is a republic in name only. The stupid "clingers to religion" won't even guess what's happening.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a country such as Northern Ireland which has a long history of religious division and hatred, what better way to stem the tide of that hatred than to have children learn together from an early age, forming friendships and seeing how foolish religious hatred is?

While desegregated schools have not been an unmitigated success in the South, there is much less inequality and racial hatred than there was in the 1960's.

The President's observation about religious schools in Northern Ireland is correct--while they may not be teaching division, they are separating Catholic and Protestant children at a time of their lives when they are young, innocent, and ready to break down the barriers that divide their parents.

Yeah, throw all the kids into a public school system so they can call be indoctrinated as the government sees fit. I don't know why they wouldn't be interested in that since it has done wonders here in the US.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is one of those things that could happen in theory but rarely or not all happens in real life. I went to our parish' s school (K-8) I never found this to be true but I was glad to go to a public high school. I will not send my son to private school religion or secular although it don't think they are wrong I do want my child exposed to a variety of ppl and I have faith in our public school.
My sons are going to public school because I can't afford to give them a better education that is found in Catholic private schools. The Catholic schools that I have seen don't just have Catholics in them. They are as about as diversified as any public school, but provide a better education it seems, from the statistics.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The camel's nose in the tent.

Wake up Catholics. If our dear leader can say it on foreign soil, it can (and most probably there will be an attempt) on Catholic schools here. There's already an attempt on Homeschoolers.

If Obama can control the children through the schools, it will be much easier to do what Michelle said (it was caught on tape) "We have to change our history. We have to change our customs."

Translation: Let's get rid of all those nasty Catholics and other religions that are causing me problems. Let's just indoctrinate the kids and make certain that the U.S. is a republic in name only. The stupid "clingers to religion" won't even guess what's happening.
It already is happening here. It is called the HHS mandate.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In some countries of course they have good systems which are public and universal, and private schools are almost non-existant. They provide really good education to kids in their local communities. That seems like a better option at least that what we have now in North America, though it would mean fewer options. Mind you, those countries have considerably less of an income gap.
The only problem I see with us doing this here, is that our government has shown that it is horrible managing a school system. It is no secret why the well off put their kids in private education. In this country private schools provide a much better education than public schools do and the full weight of this disparity falls upon our government, IMHO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,032.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let's look at this in a much more clearer perspective shall we?

Are you not being taught to be tolerant? Are you not being taught to be more charitable?
Are you not a shining example of what is truly being done in Ireland?
Where di you get your ideas?

Is the Church in Ireland teaching divisiveness - because you seem to me to be an example that is just not the cause. Your work and efforts seem to me to be towards peaceful acceptance.

Am i wrong to assume you guys - our Body in Christ are not working on this? By your words only? Your own thotfulness towards peace?

Are you telling me you are working against what the Church is offering?
Are your Bishops dividing?

It seems to me, taking into account your own role model that things are making strives in Ireland between the two. So i read you wrong?

Here is the thing - as a leader of America - he should have done as the Pope suggested - use his words more carefully.

With high influence and a right mindedness he could have helped the peace move along more quickly by not dividing them into 2.
He should have remarked on the great strides they have made and that he hoped things continued along the path of working on them.
he should have given positive feed back in hopes it helped ppl see the resolution could happen.

No - he wouldnt say what he said unless he had a clear motive to cast division once again.

He pitted the two against one another. And i am sorry if no one can see that. His words caused a sharp divide again - because ppl behind him - are approving of this method...and dont see the harm it has and ill affect it will have.

His hatred for Catholics is real. if we dont understand that - take a look at his history against the Church.

he thinks he is cunning - i see the snake for what he is and i dont agree he had the right things to say.

Catholic education should end? What about Protestant education?

Come on Silv - is this really how it has been - are you telling me you self sufficiently learned to want peace without the Church wanting it?
Do you go to Church and have the priests preach against the Protestants?

IS there really still such hatred?

Excepting a few - is this status quo, still as it was?

I still say the weasel should know when to shut his mouth except his agenda is to make sure the Catholic Church has no influence whatsoever.

At least the Pope was more charitable in saying he should have worded himself more carefully. Too bad he knows no decency to do so.

Meanwhile the education system has contributed to the divisiveness that is a reality in their society.

If you keep the children divided in their tribal/religious camps at school age many of them remain divided as adults...

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My sons are going to public school because I can't afford to give them a better education that is found in Catholic private schools. The Catholic schools that I have seen don't just have Catholics in them. They are as about as diversified as any public school, but provide a better education it seems, from the statistics.

Yes, we had many non Catholics in pur school too. Since it was our parish' s school, it closed many years ago, it was affordable for my parents, non parishioners paid considerably more. My father, a protestant and public school teacher did not feel that the specific public school that I would attend was as good academically. I personally did not like going to schools with the same small group year after year. I loved going to a big school and having a variety of friends to choose from.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The only problem I see with us doing this here, is that our government has shown that it is horrible managing a school system. It is no secret why the well off put their kids in private education. In this country private schools provide a much better education than public schools do and the full weight of this disparity falls upon our government, IMHO.

Well, I would expect in a country as large as the US, education would continue to be run at the state level.

But part of the reason your government has been so incapable of running programs has to do with peoples attitude to government. People in countries with these kinds of systems really see the government as their tool to accomplish their goals. They expect it to work well, to accomplish the goals they set for it. That is what you need to get schools like that, and it is what you need to run them.

So i think if you ever got the political will to actual try and produce a system like that, it would mean you had a lot of the things in place to run it.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I'm pretty liberal about everything except abortion so if it was true that 0bama was trying to indoctrinate our kids via the public school system, which I don't think he is, I doubt I would have a problem with it. I expect that my child will be exposed to different values and points of views any way and would use them as topic of discussion as to why we disagree with it.

Upvote 0