• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

twosteppin

They didn't have you where I come from
Dec 24, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio
✟18,232.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ok guys,, heres my issue. I need some input if yall woulld be soo kind.
So reacently my counselor has said that i may have Obssessive compulsive disorder. if you dont know what that is watch "as good as it gets.' anyways, i obssese over thoughts that never leave my head. I am a christian so bear that in mind as I tell you my story. ITs like I attack and accuse myself of stuff I never did or even am. example, i would see the micheal jackson case and this voice will be like,,, "your a pervert" if i here about a murder, in my head ,"you are a murderer"
it goes on and on
"you are an atheist"
"you are crazy"
"you are a harlot"
i see someone do something bad and it feels like i have done it myself. its soo weird. it sounds so easy to just tell my head to stop it,, but it wont. my couselor saaid maybe medicine would help but my mom says "no" sometimes this stuff doesnt get me down,, then other times i have panic attacks from it. I just want it to stop, you know. Ive asked God to help me fix my head but sometimes I still feel hopeless. Thanks for reading

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Have you ever seen the list of "Who I Am In Christ"? It's a big long list of who we as Christians are in Christ, with Bible verses to support each item. If you don't have a copy of it, I'm sure you can find one online by searching on Google or something. Perhaps if whenever your head is telling you "You are a ..." you could counter that thought with the thought "I am a child of God" or one of the other things on that list it might help to make your thinking more positive.

Upvote 0

wister

Jan 10, 2004
✟115.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For more info on ocd and faith check out the very helpful group for Christians with OCD, run through Yahoo. Its called the "scrupe group" (short for scrupulosity, the technical term for the religious manifestation of ocd). Look it up sometime if you're struggling with this awful illness.

Go to yahoo.com, click groups, search for "scrupe". registration required.

Upvote 0

smash_kate

Jan 10, 2004
New Jersey
✟15,313.00
Faith
Catholic
I heard from a bible expert that those voices come from Satan and that we shouldn't listen to them....but maybe it's also telling you to keep away from those naughty things you watch on t.v.

The voices will tell you things that are not true so just don't listen to them....but if the voices tell you to do something....like hurt yourself or do something out of the ordinary....then don't listen to them....I'd also go see a church authority rather than a counselor. Only jesus can expel these voices.

Upvote 0

faith177

growing
Aug 18, 2003
BC
Visit site
✟382,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I also am attacked through my mind, my thoughts sometimes are debilitating. fishstix that was an excellent idea because we will continue to be attacked as long as it works. some people are attacked with alcoholism they try to quit then have thoughts constantly of needing a drink, but for a non alcoholic being attacked with thoughts of needing a drink would not work, do you see what I am getting at. The spiritual battle rages around us, whatever the enemy can use to distract us he will use.

There is a reason that the WORD is called the sword of the Spirit, we need to memorize scripture to do battle. Maybe we could all put a scripture verse that helps us or has helped us through a tough time.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should try reading "The Bondage Breaker" by Neil Anderson. Along with help from other Christians, I believe that this book could give you the answer you are looking for.

I really don't think you need a second opinion as you're describing rather classical OCD symptoms. HOWEVER you need to understand that you're not necessarily as bad as some of the people who NEED medical treatment for a physical problem in the brain. You'll likely get a similar diagnoses from another Doctor, but your harmful thoughts might be better attacked through Christian therapy (either a registered therapist or a pastor)!

Whatever happens, I'll be praying for you.

Upvote 0