Nude Artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't consider nudity to be evil, much less nude art. And sex is an acceptable topic in artwork, being as it is a major factor in a lot of people's experiences.

I mean, even if sex were inherently wrong, so are greed, war, pride, any number of topics addressed by artwork with no one complaining of indecency.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2004
✟54,471.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Helo said:
Is there anything wrong with artwork that features nudity or a nude person? Is it still art?

The person's motives and who will be seeing it are the main factor. If you have messed up motives or people that shouldn't be seeing it will be seeing it and/or their motives are off, then it's wrong.

Upvote 0

Moros

Jan 1, 2004
✟22,337.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
There was a famous case in Russia, the first in post Soviet Union to be tried as obscene, where a guy wrote a novel depicting graphic homosex between Stalin and Kruschev. The govt charged him with some kind of law relating to inappropriate contentography and he said something to the effect of "inappropriate contentographers write to give their readers erections. I am not at all interested in my readers getting erections." Perfect summary of artistic motive.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If I ever have some big bucks to spend on art, I'd buy a bronze by Harriet Frishmuth, who studied with Rodin, and did most of her work in the 1920s. You'd have to be as dense as lead to think these are anything but magnificent works of art.

Edit: Pics are too small. Try this link for a better view:

http://www.jhalpe.com/collection/large_photo.php?item_id=21169

Attachments

• Extase.jpg
    Extase.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 61
  • The Star.jpg
    The Star.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
jayem said:
If I ever have some big bucks to spend on art, I'd buy a bronze by Harriet Frishmuth, who studied with Rodin, and did most of her work in the 1920s. You'd have to be as dense as lead to think these are anything but magnificent works of art.

Those are lovely. Here's one I like by Danielle Anjou:

Upvote 0

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
DailyBlessings said:
I don't consider nudity to be evil, much less nude art. And sex is an acceptable topic in artwork, being as it is a major factor in a lot of people's experiences.

I mean, even if sex were inherently wrong, so are greed, war, pride, any number of topics addressed by artwork with no one complaining of indecency.
I agree with this. Further, I sometimes think that something can be appreciated as art even if it was originally intended in another way. Not only is it up to the perspective of the creator, it's up to the perspective of the viewer.

Helo said:
Well I think most models tend to be women because the female body (For the most part) are easier on the eyes. Thier bodies are smoother, gentile curves and the like. Men are hard muscle and body hair.
I disagree, but then again, one would probably expect us too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Helo said:
Im not saying that art that has men in it isnt beautiful, Im just saying that on the whole, women tend to be more suited to be the subject of art, especially nude art, than men

I think this sort of statement says more about societal perceptions of masculinity, than any inherent aesthetic particular to either gender.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Helo said:
Is there anything wrong with artwork that features nudity or a nude person? Is it still art?
Well,I'm an aspireing artist.When I was in school there was a figure drawing course in the curriculum.Of couse I took it.I believe it's necessary to learn to draw from life. However,now I doubt I'd take that course.Looking at a nude woman not my wife just seems wrong.So, I wouldn't purchase such art.I mean what do you think about when you see a beautiful naked woman?Yea,me too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trillian

The glue that holds it all together.
Dec 1, 2005
The Boonies
✟299.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a statue of a man and a woman, both naked, the moment right before a kiss. I think it's beautiful, and I put it on my mantle.... A few people have had things to say about it, but it's mostly recieved well.

The thing is, it doesn't make me think of sex. Nor is that my husbands reaction to it. It looks like love.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I'm finding out how difficult it is to render a human form realistically, my hat is off to anybody who can master a realistic rendition of a human nude.

It is NOT easy. Classic French cooking and discrete math are easier than trying to draw a human nude.

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
UberLutheran said:
As I'm finding out how difficult it is to render a human form realistically, my hat is off to anybody who can master a realistic rendition of a human nude.

It is NOT easy. Classic French cooking and discrete math are easier than trying to draw a human nude.

Not for me. I love looking at nude humans, be they male or female. We're beautiful. Sometimes it's sexual, sometimes it's not.

I rarely draw humans though, oddly enough. Much as I look at them both clothed and nude, my focus lies on animals.

Upvote 0
Tangnefedd said:
If God created us then he was having a 'larf' when he made men's dangly bits, not the most beautiful imo, but whatever turns you on!:D

Bethany: What's he like?
Metatron: God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus.
Bethany: Sex is a joke in heaven?
Metatron: The way I understand it, it's mostly a joke down here, too.

-Dogma

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.