keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,810.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Racist? I don't think it's racist; racist would be "bavarian blacks should be still be slaves lager". It's just insensitive/stupid, particularly without the additional logo.

Very crafty of them (pun intended).

A few fools will get their knickers in a twist and the company will get millions of dollars worth of free advertising.

The real question is can the beer live up to the claim? If it even comes close they hae it made!

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Let me take this time to make this appology:

America, Please If there is someone that I have not offended, and you take offense to that, I appologize. I intend to be an equal opportunity offender, so I will try to offend you soon, so as you will not be offended for me forgetting to offend you.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks to me like a few people need to go in search of their backbone. And to brush up on the context of how words are used.

The slogan means you will like the beer so much it will be the only one you will want to ever drink. Which isn't true of any beer, but that is all the slogan means.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd liken it to not going to Ireland and ordering a Car Bomb or a Black and Tan. Might be common drinks to order in the US, but from what I've heard it doesn't go over too well if you try to order one in a pub in Ireland. It's not being stupidly PC. It's having some decency toward your fellow man. Do some people, sometimes, go overboard with it? Absolutely. But more so, we suffer from a chronic lack of empathy from far too many people.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd liken it to not going to Ireland and ordering a Car Bomb or a Black and Tan. Might be common drinks to order in the US, but from what I've heard it doesn't go over too well if you try to order one in a pub in Ireland. It's not being stupidly PC. It's having some decency toward your fellow man. Do some people, sometimes, go overboard with it? Absolutely. But more so, we suffer from a chronic lack of empathy from far too many people.

Yes, it is being stupidly PC. What's next, beefing about a hardware store for selling chains?

Maybe next year Ingsoc will abridge the Newspeak dictionary to take these hateful words out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟70,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lucille-portable.gif

Reactions: The Twister
Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is being stupidly PC. What's next, beefing about a hardware store for selling chains?

This an apt analogy. The PC crowd is operating here as if the word slave only has one meaning in one context, which makes as much sense as faulting Home Depot for selling tractor or snow chains because someone somewhere sometime somehow might see them and be reminded of a condition they never experienced.

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟70,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not racist, nor is it insensitive. It's witty. Slavery is not exclusive to blacks, either, folks. It gets a little irksome that certain people seem to think the only slaves who ever existed were black Africans and the only people who had anything to do with them being enslaved were white Europeans and Americans. So ignorant.

We could also claim that any slogan that says it'll make you "crazy" for a product is "insensitive to the mentally ill".

Anywho. Keep your slogan. It's cute.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the problem is that it's side by side with the red nose edition that makes it clear they are using the color to reference something. Red nose = reindeer black=slave

So clearly, despite the fact that the picture associated with the beer's name is an s&m image, you say it is associated with race because another beer is associated with fictitious reindeer.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟325,810.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I can see how some might interpret it as racist, sure. However, it's not something I would personally ever consider looking at the slogan. It does make me very thirsty for beer, however.

A good dark beer?

Or would that make you (and me) racist?

Upvote 0