mefe

Feb 8, 2014
Toronto
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys. I've lurked here for a while and finally have something to post. This past year I've been leading a youth band for my local church as well as playing in the adult band (I'm 20) and our current music minister (the only other musician in the adult band other than singers) has asked me to take on her roll and run all the music for the church. I'm extremely flattered but not entirely sure I'm ready for it. I'm in university and would need to set aside 2 nights a week for practices as well as time to actually organize/write all the music.

I'm not really to worried about work load though. I'm more worried about having to 'give up' my last few years as a young person. The reason our current leader (and my dear friend) is finally retiring is because she wants to finally have weekends with her family and such.

Do you guys think its a good idea for someone my age to take on such a large roll? Keep in mind I'd be 'in charge' of an entire choir of 45+ year old adults.

Thanks for any advice! I really appreciate it!

-P

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think you may be under estimating the time this could take. Often time not on your schedule.

Sooner or later there will be a weekend with a major paper due on Monday.

Before even considering this I'd suggest talking to some of the 45+ members of the choir and find out how they feel and how they think others in the choir would feel about a 20 year old being in charge. Specifically you.

Be sure to ask how they think others might feel. Many might be reluctant to even consider that they as an individual would have issues but would be comfortable honestly saying some others might (as long as you don't try to ask which others).

Upvote 0

mefe

Feb 8, 2014
Toronto
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the reply Keith. The time issue is one of my biggest fear to be honest. I'm not worried about leading the older people to much since I actually played with them this past year (just not as a leader) so we get along quite well.

What I'm really worried about though isn't time constraints from school (I really don't have a problem doing well in school) but rather not having weekends to my self again. I don't want to sacrifice seeing my friends on weekends and such.

Upvote 0