Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do others feel they don't learn much/anything at all during Sunday Services?

I know we are there to worship God, and fellowship with believers, But I don't really learn anything during the message/sermon.

Just wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation?

Reactions: MWood

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There have been plenty of sermons where I didn't learn anything or gain new perspective. I try to be positive about it though, and think that maybe the message did reach someone who really did need to hear the words. God doesn't have to use a pastor to speak to us all the time. :)

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There have been plenty of sermons where I didn't learn anything or gain new perspective. I try to be positive about it though, and think that maybe the message did reach someone who really did need to hear the words. God doesn't have to use a pastor to speak to us all the time. :)
It would be nice if the preacher would leave us with a desire to search the scripture for more knowledge.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I know we are there to worship God, and fellowship with believers, But I don't really learn anything during the message/sermon.

If a pastor is a God called man who truly preaches the Gospel he will make theologians out of every person who hear him. I learned more sitting in the pew listening about Christ than I ever did or could in school. A God called man preaches the whole truth meaning justification in Christ, union to Him, faith in Him, rest in Him, sanctification in Him, adoption in Him, holiness in Him and all the other things that pertain to the Gospel of Christ. He preaches Christ crucified from all of the Scriptures. He comforts the downtrodden by pointing them to Christ. He brings down the strong by showing them their need of Christ. He strengthens the weak by showing them Christ. Christ is sufficient for every need and His Gospel properly taught and understood applies to every circumstance and situation.

When the apostle Paul taught doctrine he taught in the context of Christ and His Gospel. He didn't preach sermons on marriage he taught what marriage is in the context of Christ and His Bride the church. Paul didn't teach on giving he taught giving in the context of what Christ has done for us. He didn't do seminars on church discipline or having a vision of where the church was going or any of the nonsense that passes for preaching these days. He preached Christ and Him crucified.

Any man who calls himself a pastor is obligated to be a servant of those under his care and to teach them the things of Christ. Any who do not are not called they are man made. Education does not prepare you to be a pastor God does by the Spirit and the Word.

And as a side note preaching doctrine as some do without Christ in it is just as bad. Dead doctrine is useless. It would be like taking a dress my wife wears from out of the closet and loving it. The simple fact is that doctrine divorced from the person and work of Christ is useless to the souls of men. I have heard far to many sermons on election divorced from it being electing love in Christ Jesus the Lord to last me a lifetime. I have heard far to many sermons on justification in Christ without the Gospel in it to make me want to tear my ears off. I have heard far to many sermons claiming to be exposition of the Scriptures that don't even mention the Gospel of Christ but just the supposed subject of the passage to make me want get up and walk out weeping. The Bible is about Christ from the beginning to the end and it is incumbent on men who call themselves preachers to find Him in them and preach Him from all of them.

I honestly weep for the souls of men, women, boys and girls who have to listen to the pablum preached in pulpits today. My heart breaks for those souls who are sitting under the good advice that can just as easily be had from watching Dr. Phil. If I am taught to rest in Christ because he is enough for me and enough for God and why I need nothing else I am filled with comfort, faith, strength, hope and glory. I understand then why I can be weak and rest in His strength. I can rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory because I grasp what He did for me and why. We preach Christ crucified should be the motto of every church that claims to be His.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Probably due to 90% of the Christian influence in my life outside of church is LCMS Lutheran, it seems to me the problem is churches/pastors have forgotten the purpose of the sermon. Lutherans use a Liturgy to keep the pastor in check not to sway from the purpose of church. To preach Christ and Him Crucified. To demonstrate the Scriptures point to Him.

I'm not the most perfect Christian, but Lutherans have taught me that's ok. Christ forgives me. What a freeing sound that is, instead of "if you love God, you need to be showing fruit". Instead of church telling you to attend their mission work to bear fruit, the LCMS has reminded me my vocation done well is a reflection of Christ in me and bears fruit.

I have a good pastor at my baptist church. Christ and him crucified is taught. And I write notes all the time. Im not concerned if I learn. I hear my sins are forgiven in Christ is enough and peaceful for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

The gospel is preached every Sunday at my church. So while I might not learn anything, per se, I am being transformed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm not...but I have been, in the past. In Protestant Christianity, instruction in the word is supposed to be a major part of the service, and if the pastor is not very good at it, you can be left with the situation you describe. The remedy is usually to seek out a church which does it better, but yes, I have to agree that what you have experienced is not a rarity.

Other posters have said that they still benefit from the service in other ways, and I'm sure you'd agree with what they've written on that matter; but although there are great and not-so-great preachers, there's no excusing truly inept instruction in a Protestant church, if that's what yours is delivering.

Sometimes, though, the problem is that the preacher aims his sermon at the wrong audience, trying to make his remarks more scholarly than ordinary. OR, if not that, he tries to elicit an emotional response from the congregation Sunday after Sunday, which can leave them feeling more fired up than informed. I guess I'm sympathizing with you, if your pastor has missed the mark with you, but it's a big challenge that he faces since there are all kinds of people in the pews and each responds to or needs something that isn't exactly the same as that needed or wanted by the next one. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I seldom have the privilege of sitting under someone else's preaching these days, unless I'm on holiday.

But if I can offer a comment from the other side of the pulpit, as it were (and echoing a conversation I had with some of my congregation members this morning!)

If you're not getting much out of the sermon as things stand, maybe try engaging with it in a different way. Ask your pastor if you can have a copy of the text to read and reflect on. Or try to come up with one question you'd like to follow up (with your pastor or elsewhere). Or try to identify one thing to which you react, and why. (You get the idea).

But above all, talk to your pastor and tell him this is how you feel! There is nothing worse than putting hours of work into prayerfully and thoughtfully crafting a sermon, only to have people file out the door, shake your hand, say "thank you for your words," but leave you with no idea if what you've said actually meant anything to them.

We want sermons to be opportunities for God to be at work amongst us, but that's not always just about what the pastor puts in, iykwim?

Upvote 0