Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most Evangelicals read Romans 8:9 as a proof-text for the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. IRom 8:9 KJV:
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The interesting thing is that those same people that use Romans 8:9b as a proof text deny the literalism of Romans 8:9a :
Ye are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

The last quote above, taken literally, would teach that when one has the Holy Spirit, that person will never be in the flesh. That person will always be in the Spirit. Is this view align with the rest of Scripture?

Brothers and Sisters, you cannot have it both ways. Either this verse is to be taken literalistically, or it needs to be understood contextually.

Most are unaware that there are three basic views on this text and four views about its application. I am only going to mention the three basic views:

1. This text literally refers to the actual indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Common Evangelical Understanding)

2. This text refers to the "spirit-attitude," or "the disposition of the mind" that should indwell a believer (Albert Barnes teaching this view in his Notes on the New Testament, Romans, p. 182)

3. This text, understood contextually, refers to walking in the Spirit for those who already have received the Holy Spirit (This is the view I believe the context and the Greek grammar supports)

Your thoughts?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most Evangelicals read Romans 8:9 as a proof-text for the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. IRom 8:9 KJV:

The interesting thing is that those same people that use Romans 8:9b as a proof text deny the literalism of Romans 8:9a :

The last quote above, taken literally, would teach that when one has the Holy Spirit, that person will never be in the flesh. That person will always be in the Spirit. Is this view align with the rest of Scripture?
Brothers and Sisters, you cannot have it both ways. Either this verse is to be taken literalistically, or it needs to be understood contextually.
Most are unaware that there are three basic views on this text and four views about its application. I am only going to mention the three basic views:
1. This text literally refers to the actual indwelling of the Holy Spirit (Common Evangelical Understanding)
Whereby we walk in the Spirit. He does not dwell within us idly.

2. This text refers to the "spirit-attitude," or "the disposition of the mind" that should indwell a believer (Albert Barnes teaching this view in his Notes on the New Testament, Romans, p. 182)

3. This text, understood contextually, refers to walking in the Spirit for those who already have received the Holy Spirit (This is the view I believe the context and the Greek grammar supports)

Your thoughts?
Agreed.

In contrast to living by the sinful nature's control which cannot please God (8:5-8),
he presents living according to the Spirit's control, if the Spirit of God lives in you.
And if the Spirit does not live in you, you do not belong to Christ.

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Whereby we walk in the Spirit. He does not dwell within us idly.

Agreed.

In contrast to living by the sinful nature's control which cannot please God (8:5-8),
he presents living according to the Spirit's control, if the Spirit of God lives in you.
And if the Spirit does not live in you, you do not belong to Christ.

Are you saying that this text is teaching that one must have the Holy Spirit's Indwelling to belong to Christ?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No offense my bother but we always read above and below I am sure you know. I see what your saying yet if we keep reading "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." The "ones" he was talking to above this verse he also said "for if you live according to the flesh".

You said "The last quote above, taken literally, would teach that when one has the Holy Spirit, that person will never be in the flesh.". Reading Rom 7 might help on this. One Greek says you are not in the flesh. The other says you are not controlled by the flesh. The Greek I have here says you are not in the flesh "you are not but in flesh". Hmm as a believer I can yield to the flesh yet I am not "in" the flesh the domain of sin. We that know Christ .. that does not make it impossible for us to have fleshly attitudes or deeds but it does make it possible for us not to have them. Jump to verse 29 "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." Its "to be conformed to the image of his son.".

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you saying that this text is teaching that one must have the Holy Spirit's Indwelling to belong to Christ?
"You, however, are controlled. . .by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." (Ro 8:9)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
No offense my bother but we always read above and below I am sure you know. I see what your saying yet if we keep reading "Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live." The "ones" he was talking to above this verse he also said "for if you live according to the flesh".

I am confused. Did you read what I wrote? I said my position is the third one, basically what you are saying.

You said "The last quote above, taken literally, would teach that when one has the Holy Spirit, that person will never be in the flesh.". Reading Rom 7 might help on this. One Greek says you are not in the flesh. The other says you are not controlled by the flesh. The Greek I have here says you are not in the flesh "you are not but in flesh". Hmm as a believer I can yield to the flesh yet I am not "in" the flesh the domain of sin. We that know Christ .. that does not make it impossible for us to have fleshly attitudes or deeds but it does make it possible for us not to have them. Jump to verse 29 "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." Its "to be conformed to the image of his son.".

I'm in basic agreement with you. However, the major point I am expressing is the fact that if one reads that entire verse literalistically, as opposed to contextually and grammatically, not only will one be convinced that a believer is "none of His" because they have not received the Indwelling of the Spirit, they will also be convinced that when one receives the Spirit, they are no longer walking in the flesh.

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
"You, however, are controlled. . .by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And iI anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." (Ro 8:9)

The point of my OP is that the verse used as a proof text does not explain the context. Contextually, I do not believe this passage teaches anything about a believer receiving the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. So, I would read the second part of the verse, based on the context and grammar, "But ye are not (walking) in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God dwelleth (is making His home) in you. Now if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ (making His home in him – for you already have the Holy Spirit - Rom. 5:5), he is not his."

This text has nothing to do with whether one had received the Indwelling Spirit.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?
How will you deal with Rom 7:16-20 ??

Especially verse 20 and 21 ?

dan p

dan p

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. (Rom. 8:9 Recovery Version)

The first "spirit" is the regenerated human spirit. The RcV rightly makes it a small s.
The second
Spirit as in "Spirit of God" and "Spirit of Christ" is God so is rightly capitalized.

It is puzzling for some translators because the Christian's human spirit [small s] is joined to the Spirit [capital S] of God and of Christ. He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit (1 Cor. 6:17)
The innermost part of the Christian's being, his human spirit is joined to God the Spirit.

The distinction and joining of the two is also seen in John chapter three.
and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6b)
That which is born of the capital S Spirit who is God is the small s spirit of man.

The distinction and joining of the two spirits is also seen in
Romans 8:16.
The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God. (Rom. 8:16)
The capital S Spirit who is God witnesses with the small s spirit of man - that we have a life relationship with our Father God.

The second part "b" means if a man does not have indwelling in him "the Spirit of God" he is not of Christ.
Of course that Spirit of God is also the Spirit of Christ. If He is not indwelling you you are not of God.
And verse 10 interchangably says this Spirit is Christ.
But if Christ is in you, . . . (v. 10a)
If you have not Christ in you, you are not of Christ.

It is clear I think that if the Triune God as the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, and Christ Himself is not
in a person, he or she is not of Him [Christ].

The tricky part comes in this -
"But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you."

I take it this way:
Ie. " Christian, your true identity is in your regerated human spirit. That is where you must set your mind to live.
Christian, you must not linger in the flesh with your mind set on your flesh, your old man, your fallen nature.
You must be strengthened by His Spirit into your innerman (Eph. 3:17). You're not in the flesh. Your place, your
identity, your moe of living is now in your mingled spirit where you are joined to Christ as "one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17)

Walk according to your true and genuine identity, men and women in the realm of the joined and mingled spirit."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the regenerated person who has been born from above - born anew still live setting his mind on his old man he is
defeated as a Christian. He needs to be strengthened into the inner man of the joined spirit with the Spirit of God.
She must log more time in that realm. She must turn the mind TO the spirit where the Spirit of Christ is.

By logging more uninterrupted time with the mind set on the human spirit where Christ is now joined to them within,
the result will be that Christ will make His home more and more in their heart. That is He will fill them up in their heart.
This was Paul's petition to the Father for the believers in Ephesians 3:17.

For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father, . . . That He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory,
to be strengthened with power through His Spirit into the inner man,
That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, (Eph. 3:14,16,17)

Being strengthened into the inner man in Ephesians is the same as
walking and living ever setting the mind on the spirit in Romans.

So we believers have to learn our spirit, discern our spirit, and ever turn to our spirit where the Spirit of Jesus is.
God is about ever strengthening the believer into the realm. That we may take by faith Christ as everything we need.
The Recovery Version I believe does an excellent job to indicate that the small s spirit should be understood in certain places and the capital S Spirit who is joined to the human spirit as "one [mingled] spirit" is also indicated.

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the [regenerated human] spirit. (8:4)

For those who are according to the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but those who are according to the
[regenerated human] spirit, the things of the [Divine Triune God] Spirit.

For the
[human] mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the [regenerated human] spirit is life and peace.

Because the mind set on the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, for neither can it be.

And those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

But you
[Christians] are not in the flesh, but in the [regenerated human] spirit,

Ie. "Where is your true identity now? Your true being is in the regenerated spirit of man where the Spirit of the Triune God lives."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your thoughts?
I am closer to this of course. The exhortation is all about setting the mind (which is the leading part of the soul) on the regenerated
human spirit where the Spirit of Christ is joined to our being.

Paul said in chapter one that he served God in his [human] spirit. That is "MY spirit".
For God is my witness, whom I serve in my spirit in the gospel of His Son, (Rom. 1:9a)

I lean toward the second part b "Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him"
to mean without Christ living in you you are not of Christ.

Ie. If you are not regenerated you are not of Christ.
However. the whole chapter is much more about living in this realm and being LED by the Spirit
within in order to be a proper son of God and heir of God.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. (v.14)

The Spirit of God is ALWAYS leading the believer to deny the self and instead enjoy the indwelling Spirit of Christ.
He is always leading the believer to turn from setting the mind on the flesh and setting it on the mingled spirit.
Living this way will cause the children to mature into sons who are therefore heirs.

And it should be an enjoyment. It needs to be done with often opening the mouth to call upon
the Lord or call upon the Father. It is hard to turn the mind to the spirit with always having a closed mouth.
The believer uses the mouth to turn the mind to the Spirit of Christ in his human spirit.
This does not mean he has to make a lot of noise. Sometimes a whispered prayer will help.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery bringing you into fear again, but you have received a spirit of sonship in which we cry, Abba, Father! (v.15)

For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord is Lord of all and rich to all who call upon Him; (Rom. 10:12)

The mouth can certainly help us to set the mind on the spirit to enjoy the riches of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The point of my OP is that the verse used as a proof text does not explain the context. Contextually, I do not believe this passage teaches anything about a believer receiving the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit. So, I would read the second part of the verse, based on the context and grammar, "But ye are not (walking) in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of God dwelleth (is making His home) in you. Now if any man hath not the Spirit of Christ (making His home in him – for you already have the Holy Spirit - Rom. 5:5), he is not his."

This text has nothing to do with whether one had received the Indwelling Spirit.

Blessings

What would help greatly would be a correct capitalization of words and such,....

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if, indeed, the spirit of GOD dwelleth in thee, but if any one hath not a spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Rom 8:10 Now, if Christ be in thee, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.

I touched up some of the capitalization and the wording.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would help greatly would be a correct capitalization of words and such,....

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if, indeed, the spirit of GOD dwelleth in thee, but if any one hath not a spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Rom 8:10 Now, if Christ be in thee, the body is dead because of sin; but the spirit is life because of righteousness.

I touched up some of the capitalization and the wording.
I think the Recovery Version has the capitalization right. You see the human part "the spirit" is set in contrast with the other human part "the flesh." The human spirit is regenerated and joined to the Lord as one spirit . (1 Cor. 6:17)
The fallen body awaits transfiguration "the redemption of our body" (Rom. 8:23)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For that which the law could not do, in that it was weak through the [fallen human] flesh, God, sending His own Son in the likeness of the [fallen human] flesh of sin and concerning sin, condemned sin in the [fallen human] flesh, (Rom. 8:3)

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the [fallen human] flesh but according to the [regenerated mingled human] spirit. (v.4)

For those who are according to the
[fallen human] flesh mind the things of the [fallen human] flesh; but those who are according to the [regenerated mingled] spirit, the things of the [divine indwelling] Spirit. (v.5)

For the mind set on the
[fallen human] flesh is death, but the mind set on the [regenerated mingled] spirit is life and peace. (v.6)

Because the mind set on the
[fallen human] flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, for neither can it be. (v.7)

And those who are in the
[fallen human] flesh cannot please God. (v.8)

But you are not in the
[fallen human] flesh, but in the [regenerated mingled] spirit, if indeed the [divine indwelling] Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the [divine indwelling] Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. (v.9)

But if Christ is in you, though the
[fallen human] body is dead because of sin, the [regenerated human] spirit is life because of righteousness. (v.10)

We know Paul has already said that he serves God with his [Paul's] regenerated human spirit.
For God is my witness, whom I serve in my spirit in the gospel of His Son, (Rom. 1:9a)

We know that Paul wrote of the divine Spirit who is God witnessing in joint manner with our human spirit.
The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God. (Rom. 8:16)

We know that the two spirits are mingled as one organic "joined" spirit in Christians.
But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit. (1 Cor. 6:17)

Paul's final written word in the New Testament reminds Timothy as he should never forget.
The Lord Jesus Christ is with his regenerated human spirit. And there the empowring GRACE of God is with him.

The Lord be with your [regenerated human] spirit. Grace be with you. (2 Tim. 4:22)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if, indeed, the spirit of GOD dwelleth in thee, but if any one hath not a spirit of Christ, he is
But no harm is done in making the small s spirit if we understand that the capital S Spirit of God / Spirit of Christ / Christ witnesses WITH our spirit.

Ours is the responsibility to learn to let the living and operative word of God divide our soul and our spirit.
This requires life long practice with patience through many experiences.

For the word of God is living and operative and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit and of joints and marrow, and able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Heb. 4:12)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
But no harm is done in making the small s spirit if we understand that the capital S Spirit of God / Spirit of Christ / Christ witnesses WITH our spirit.

For me, the term "spirit of Christ" is talking about our regenerated human spirit. We were re-made into His likeness by His blood when The Holy Spirit applied it. His human spirit is now a part of all born again Christians inside, hence why the Greek always uses the term "brethren" instead of brothers and sisters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me, the term "spirit of Christ" is talking about our regenerated human spirit.
I can see the ground for such a statement. Certainly that part of our being is the first to be His posession.
I heartily endorse that ALL that Jesus is in His personality has been depostited into us. But it is for our
unleashing, uncovering, application, discovery and growth INTO individually and collectively.

Paul and his colleagues sought to present every man "full-grown in Christ."

which is Christ in you, the hope of glory, Whom we announce, admonishing every man
and teaching every man in all wisdom that we may present every man full-grown in Christ; (Col. 1:27b,28)

But coming back to this momentous proclamation -
For me, the term "spirit of Christ" is talking about our regenerated human spirit.
Then if Paul seamlessly moves in an interchangable way between, the Spirit of God / the Spirit of Christ/ Christ
Do you believe that part of our being is therefore God?
Do you believe that part of our being is Christ?

I am forced to believe that if my regenerated human spirit is the spirit or the Spirit of Christ that must
mean part of me has become Christ, has become God.
How do you feel about this?
We were re-made into His likeness by His blood when The Holy Spirit applied it.
How do you think about transformation being seen as an ongoing process?
For example the changed going from glory to glory into His image?

But we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting like a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord Spirit. (2 Cor. 3:18)

Here again those "re-made into His likeness" are exhorted to BE transformed by the continous renewing of the mind.

And do not be fashioned according to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind . . . (Rom. 12:2)

Am I right to agree that some re-making has occured in our being. But we also need transformation, conformation, renewal into
His image from degree to degree to degree?

Here again we who have been re-made in some degree are exhorted put on the new man in which we are BEING renewed.

And that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind
And put on the new man, which was created according to God in righteousness and holiness of the reality. (Eph. 4:22-24)

And here we who have in some sense been re-made are have put on the new man which is being renewed unto full knowledge of
its Creator, Christ.

And have put on the new man, which is being renewed unto full knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, (Col. 3:10)
His human spirit is now a part of all born again Christians inside, hence why the Greek always uses the term "brethren" instead of brothers and sisters.
How would you feel about the we being "sons and daughters" of God?
At least in that verse would you recognize there are male brethren and female brethren?

Therefore “come out from their midst and be separated, says the Lord, and do not touch what is unclean; and I will welcome you”;
“And I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Cor. 6:17,18)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
But coming back to this momentous proclamation -

Then if Paul seamlessly moves in an interchangable way between, the Spirit of God / the Spirit of Christ/ Christ
Do you believe that part of our being is therefore God?
Do you believe that part of our being is Christ?

I am forced to believe that if my regenerated human spirit is the spirit or the Spirit of Christ that must
mean part of me has become Christ, has become God.
How do you feel about this?

I certainly wouldn't go that far. We are still a human being, not divine. Our very nature/heart was changed when our spirit was renewed into His likeness. We were basically re-made into babes in Christ, which then have to become full grown and mature sons of GOD.

How do you think about transformation being seen as an ongoing process?
Absolutely.
For example the changed going from glory to glory into His image?

But we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting like a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord Spirit. (2 Cor. 3:18)

Here again those "re-made into His likeness" are exhorted to BE transformed by the continous renewing of the mind.

And do not be fashioned according to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of the mind . . . (Rom. 12:2)

Am I right to agree that some re-making has occured in our being. But we also need transformation, conformation, renewal into
His image from degree to degree to degree?

Here again we who have been re-made in some degree are exhorted put on the new man in which we are BEING renewed.

And that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind
And put on the new man, which was created according to God in righteousness and holiness of the reality. (Eph. 4:22-24)

And here we who have in some sense been re-made are have put on the new man which is being renewed unto full knowledge of
its Creator, Christ.

And have put on the new man, which is being renewed unto full knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, (Col. 3:10)

All very good points and absolutely correct! There is a maturing process for each of us, whereby we become more Christ-like over time, where we are able to dig into the meat of the word more and learn those deeper things from The Holy Spirit.

Ultimately, as our growth proceeds, we will desire to be closer to GOD in one on one worship with Him. We will desire for that Holiness/cleanliness that proceeds only from Him.

How would you feel about the we being "sons and daughters" of God?
At least in that verse would you recognize there are male brethren and female brethren?

Therefore “come out from their midst and be separated, says the Lord, and do not touch what is unclean; and I will welcome you”;
“And I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughters to Me, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Cor. 6:17,18)

It's was just a highlight I was making about scripture. There is neither male nor female, for we art all one in Christ Jesus. But as you did point out, scripture can identify us separately.

Very good questions!

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I certainly wouldn't go that far. We are still a human being, not divine. Our very nature/heart was changed when our spirit was renewed into His likeness. We were basically re-made into babes in Christ, which then have to become full grown and mature sons of GOD.
You would not go so far?
Isn't it the case that we now, like Jesus. are human and divine?

What would you say to Peter saying that we are PARTAKERS . . . of the divine nature?

Through which He has granted to us precious and exceedingly great promises that through these you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption which is in the world by lust. (2 Pet. 1:4)

I mean, we were born naturally to be partakers of the human nature. So we are human.
Now we are regenerated to be partakers of the divine nature. So in addition to being human we are also divine.

What do you say?
I think we should not succumb to the temptation to "dumb down" the precious promises of the New Testament,
staggering perhaps in doubt because we look at ourselves and think "No way. We're not that divine."

Or we stand upon the truths of the New Testament even as Abraham stood against considering his own old body.
And then standing on the precious and exceedingly great promises, God honors our faith and causes the promises
to be ever more experiencial.

Actually, this is a continuation of our attitude about the fact that the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.
It is not different in nature. We simply stand upon what God has said in order to enter into subjective enjoyment of His word.

Look again how the Apostle Peter puts it.

Seeing that His divine power has granted to us all things which relate to life and godliness, through the full knowledge of Him who has called us by His own glory and virtue,

Through which He has granted to us precious and exceedingly great promises that through these you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption which is in the world by lust. (2 Pet. 1:3,4)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I mean, we were born naturally to be partakers of the human nature. So we are human.
Now we are regenerated to be partakers of the divine nature. So in addition to being human we are also divine.

What do you say?
I think we should not succumb to the temptation to "dumb down" the precious promises of the New Testament,
staggering perhaps in doubt because we look at ourselves and think "No way. We're not that divine."

Or we stand upon the truths of the New Testament even as Abraham stood against considering his own old body.
And then standing on the precious and exceedingly great promises, God honors our faith and causes the promises
to be ever more experiencial.

Actually, this is a continuation of our attitude about the fact that the blood of Christ cleanses us from all sin.
It is not different in nature. We simply stand upon what God has said in order to enter into subjective enjoyment of His word.

Look again how the Apostle Peter puts it.

Seeing that His divine power has granted to us all things which relate to life and godliness, through the full knowledge of Him who has called us by His own glory and virtue,

Through which He has granted to us precious and exceedingly great promises that through these you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption which is in the world by lust. (2 Pet. 1:3,4)

My initial understanding of that passage would be that we are "partakers" of the divine nature, that divine nature being GOD Himself. I think how far we can possible go in terms of partaking could be seen in Elisha's life in particular, where even his bones brought a person back to life. The holiness of GOD so permeated his being that the residual of that lasted even in his bones for a very long time. The power of GOD resting upon him and the anointing that he had upon his head, plus the communion and fellowship that he had with GOD, must of been mighty.

As I see it, we are totally dependent upon GOD. We don't become divine in the sense that we are self sufficient from Him. I don't think that that was what you actually meant, but I felt it needed to be said nonetheless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My initial understanding of that passage would be that we are "partakers" of the divine nature, that divine nature being GOD Himself. I think how far we can possible go in terms of partaking could be seen in Elisha's life in particular, where even his bones brought a person back to life.
I think Elisha's bones are one of many OT hints as to God's economy to dispense Himself into man.
The Old Testament is like the picture and the New Testament is the caption underneath the picture.
All those things were written for our admonition in this church age.

How about a New Testament example we consider also. Say Paul a very mature Christian, longing for the
Philippian brethren "in the inward parts of Christ."

For God is my witness how I long after you all in the inward parts of Christ Jesus. (Phil. 1:8)

Paul's inward parts had actually become Christ's inward parts. Like Elisha's bones the effections of a man
had become saturated with the life of Christ.

In the same letter for Paul to live is Christ.

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. (v. 21)

For he is just like a transparent magnifying glass through which those around him may observe Christ, enlarged, magnified According to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I will be put to shame, but with all boldness, as always, even now Christ will be magnified in my body, whether through life or through death. (v.20)

No doubt he had been regenerated long ago. Yet in his soul, his person, his mind and emotion and will his
only ambition was to "gain" Christ.
But moreover I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse that I may gain Christ (Phil. 3:8)

And as you aptly point out with Elisha, eventually Paul and we await this life would swallow up our body in transfiguration.
. . . we eagerly await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, Who will transfigure the body of our humiliation to be conformed to the body of His glory, according to His operation by which He is able even to subject all things to Himself. (Phil. 3:21)

What a salvation, that our whole spirit and soul and body be sanctified complete.
And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is He who calls you, who also will do it. (1 Thess. 5:23)

The holiness of GOD so permeated his being that the residual of that lasted even in his bones for a very long time.
I appreciate this Old Testament example as a encouragement. Our REAL Elisha, Jesus Christ will sanctify us wholly - spirit and soul and body.
Especially in these last days as we await to meet Him we need to cooperate with this sanctifying.
The body of humiliation, the body of sin which we learn to nullify through walking in the mingled spirit with His Spirit, will
consumate in
"the redemption of our body" for the "manifestation of the sons of God."

For we know that the whole creation groans together and travails in pain together until now.

And not only so, but we ourselves also, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit,
even we ourselves groan in ourselves, eagerly awaiting sonship, the redemption of our body. (Rom.8:22,23)
The power of GOD resting upon him and the anointing that he had upon his head, plus the communion and fellowship that he had with GOD, must of been mighty.

As I see it, we are totally dependent upon GOD. We don't become divine in the sense that we are self sufficient from Him. I don't think that that was what you actually meant, but I felt it needed to be said nonetheless.
Yes, the non-cummunicable attributes of God remain His alone.
We will not be objects of worship.
We will not be creators of universes.
We will not be omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent of have an eternal past living.

But if we are to marry Christ we must be made like Him as a corporate body.
If we are to match Him we must be swallowed up in His divine nature to express Him as His counterpart.

A life changing vision of the Christian life and the church life I found in
"The Glorious Church" by Watchman Nee. Just look, if you have not already seen, the chapter headings.

https://www.ministrybooks.org/books/reader.php?id=jzgRYhWag150

Upvote 0