Non-denominational? What is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the point is that we are all christians... the defining of denominations just defines how we worship the Lord. My church is reformed, I admit that I have never been to a non-denomination church, so technically I don't know what its like, nor do I feel the need to change. My church fits my personality, its conservative and traditional, I am comfortable in my church.

What gets me is that many "free or non-denominational" churchs have no knowlege basis, it's all about praise and worship, wheres the knowledge? You have to understand what you are worshiping, where it came from, and why. Yes it is true that none of that really matters, but it affirms my beliefs and strengthens my relationship with God, a balance between knowledge and worship gives us (well.. me anyway) a peaceful reverence for God and the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What gets me is that many "free or non-denominational" churchs have no knowlege basis, it's all about praise and worship, wheres the knowledge?

well firstly, most pastors who set up independent churches come from traditional denom churches. so its not like its out of the blue with no knowledge.

my non-denom church is very strong on the Word -- revelation knowledge -- hence that's the main factor drawing the thousands from other traditional denoms, not so much the healings and miracles, but the opening up of the Word. People hear the gospel preached like never before! they cant get that kind of meat from their traditinal church so they leave and join our church. not boasting but that's just the way it is here.

Upvote 0

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by syphina
What gets me is that many "free or non-denominational" churchs have no knowlege basis, it's all about praise and worship, wheres the knowledge?

All about praise and worship? That's it ?

Is this an assumption or an observation?

Non-Denoms have a more pronounce focus on praise and worship, because Sunday is suppose to be about "Worshipping the Lord" and giving him praise. Sunday isn't suppose to be a "all in one shot", that is suppose to last a week. Christians should be in fellowship with other christians during the week. Having discussions, bible study, and they should be in the "Word" on their own. As strange as it may sound, Christians should be reading their Bibles on their own.

All about praise and worship? You mean a Pastor doesn't give a sermon? I like to see a church where there is no sermon.

Upvote 0

Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
Originally posted by 9-iron
Why do we classify ourselves anyway?? The place I attend worship doesn't even have a church name. We are simple "Harvest Christian Fellowship." Who cares what name you associate yourselve with, the question how do people see you. Do you they see you as church folk or disciples of Christ. The Bible says foremost we are to "love God and love people". I think the unsaved just want to see God in us and not so much the affiliation thing.

I have thought a little about this. I thought about other countries where the gospel is just starting to filter into.

You are right that a church doesnt have to have a denomination to it. And because of this it doesnt matter if its non-denom or not. The bottomline is the message.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Anthony
Is this an assumption or an observation?

A little yes, because I've never really gotten into the way of a non-denom church. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Non-Denoms have a more pronounce focus on praise and worship, because Sunday is suppose to be about "Worshipping the Lord" and giving him praise. Sunday isn't suppose to be a "all in one shot", that is suppose to last a week. Christians should be in fellowship with other christians during the week. Having discussions, bible study, and they should be in the "Word" on their own. As strange as it may sound, Christians should be reading their Bibles on their own.

Church is a place to worship and learn, and learning is praising the Lord. What I meant about "its only about worship and praise" was that some of the community churches (which are non-denom) in my area only do prayer and song. Who said anything about church being an "all in one shot" deal? Certainly not me, I didn't even imply that.

Upvote 0

9-iron

Football Fan
Jun 14, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟4,518.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
some of the community churches (which are non-denom) in my area only do prayer and song

Jesus said "My Father's house is a house of prayer", and "Worship the Lord your God and serve HIM only". Notice that the we are told to worship first and serve second. Whether it is serving or learning or whatever, it must flow from the worship of God.

Upvote 0

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by syphina
A little yes, because I've never really gotten into the way of a non-denom church. My apologies if I offended anyone.

Syphina

No offense taken, we are big kids ;)

We had something interesting happen at our Church, towards the end of the Pastor's sermon, a Lady raised her hand and wanting to ask the Pastor a question. The Pastor was surprised and said "Well I don't usually take questions during the service, but this is the last service, so what is your question"

So several questions where asked. The Pastor has now decided to change the last service sermon into "Teach and Talk". That is a short question and answer period for those who have questions about that Sunday's sermon.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Anthony
Syphina

No offense taken, we are big kids ;)

We had something interesting happen at our Church, towards the end of the Pastor's sermon, a Lady raised her hand and wanting to ask the Pastor a question. The Pastor was surprised and said "Well I don't usually take questions during the service, but this is the last service, so what is your question"

So several questions where asked. The Pastor has now decided to change the last service sermon into "Teach and Talk". That is a short question and answer period for those who have questions about that Sunday's sermon.

That's a pretty good idea. 

I know for myself, if I had not pushed the questions out on a particular issue I would not be where I am today in my faith.  We must be able to ask questions.  Of course my questions were asked in a smaller setting than Sunday service, but it's good to allow the people to ask, because there can be so many misunderstandings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.