Non-Christians: How do you deal with evangelists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endure2

Veteran
May 1, 2004
Georgia
✟16,766.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
apaige said:
After I fell away, I made a promise to myself never to argue with Christians (at least in public/real life) about Christianity...I'm still open to turning back to God. And it wouldn't give me any pleasure (as opposed to when I was convincing people ot join the faith) to be the person who coaxes someone to doubt their faith.

But I always find it awkward when someone evangelizes to me and I have to fight hard not to have my eyes roll to the back of my head, because I've heard it all before and said the same things many times over before. For some of the people who are really bad at it, I almost want to take them by the hand and say, "OK, now you want to say this point and such and such" But I don't want to be rude and say "I know i know leave me a lone" and would rather not make my own faith travels a discussion. What's the best way to turn someone down?
apaige

wow...what a question

i think one must understand that there really is no good way to turn them down, they are emotionally and faithfully commited to the idea that you need what they have... that you are living a dead life on your way to destruction.

there are some christians who will listen to your honesty about your disbelief in it and respect your wishes to be left alone about it...
and there are some who will openly disrespect you by badgering you, and there are some will simply not leave you alone becuase they feel obligated to help you regardless of your wishes...they feel you need help.

i think the best way to reply to evangelism or whatever is to simply be honest, upfront and honest about what you are and how you feel, dont prolong and deepen it by being quiet and giving the impression that your something your not or your willing to do something your not.
you have to just be real, honest, and say
"hey, thats not for me...."
and ive found that it works quite well.

they see your confidence, your contentment, your resolve, and that your not some vulnerable person who theyd be able to influence in the matter.
im not saying be rude, but be upfront about it and honest. you shouldnt need to be anything else.

i was shopping at walmart and this man just approached me out of nowhere and started asking me about church and stuff and i just said
"i understand what your trying to do, and i appreciate it, but im not a christian and i dont believe any of that, its not for me man" and put it out there that i wasnt open for discussing the matter.
and the man kinda looked discouraged and i kinda felt sorry for him, but what could i do? i cant give him what he wants from me and its not my fault. i have to live with myself and find my own meaning and fullfillment and so does he, i cant be the meaning in his life.

and he left. i hope he does find something one day, to put and end to those kinda weak disheartening moments, but i cant do it for him.

and just 2 days ago,
i was approached by another christian, offerd me a pamplet and invited me to his church
and i just told the man that i understand what hes doing and i appreciate it but i do not believe that and it isnt the life for me and that i didnt want it. i wasnt rude or mean, just upfront and he was like
"well....ok"
and there really wasnt anything he could do except say
"well....uhm...we all need the Lord..."
but in the end he just left.

it works though, dont prolong it, just be kind and upfront about it and theyll leave you alone.
and if they dont, just walk off.
and dont worry, theyre disrespecting you, you arent doing them any wrong by disregarding everything theyre saying, you dont owe them anything.you dont have to be mean, just real about it and most of the time theyll leave you alone.
some dont mean to be disrespectful, they really trying to help you...
but still, it will all lead up to you saying "no... i cant" or converting. and just to get it over with, say how you feel and walk on. your not being mean, your doing the best thing for both of you...they may feel all kind of things, hurt, sorry for you, etc...but you cant help that, its not your fault its christianities fault and theres nothing you can do except go on, and maybe one day theyll come to understand it themselves.

Upvote 0

Dondi

Veteran
Sep 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
✟17,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
heron said:
I am much more comfortable with street preaching, where people can come and go and choose to listen and explore, rather than be put on the spot. Many groups will set up ice cream or music or some ways to care for the people in the area, and spend some time presenting the gospel from a platform.

There's a ministry that coordinates teens to fix up homes. The workers make themselves available to talk, and ask homeowners if there's anything they'd like prayer for. They also run an optional Bible club for kids duing the reconstruction.

It seems to work well, because they put the needs of the people before their own drive to evangelize. And when they do talk, it's an offer for prayer.

Those are some good ideas. I'd like to someday run a soup kitchen or something. Something that will reach people's needs and then open up people to the Gospel. Jesus reached people where they were, and tended to their needs. Showing the love of Christ does go a long way than just telling.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dondi, that's so nice. I hope that your plans form into something wonderful, and that needed connections draw toward your side.

I'll PM you a couple links to the camp program.

Endure, good advice-- neither party had bad intentions. I respond in similar ways to Jehovah's Witnesses that come to the door. Actually, I let them become a regular part of my week, with small talk, but remind them that I like my church.

Upvote 0

LordoftheLeftHand

Jun 6, 2006
✟15,226.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I recommend just telling them the truth (whatever that might be in your case). WARNING: Never tell a person in a position in authority over you your feelings on their religion if they are different. I’m not saying lie to them, just tell them something dismissive to get out of the conversation. I just tell them I’m not very spiritual.

LLH

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
LOL!!
ashamed0006.gif
It sounds as though you are speaking from extensive experience.

Upvote 0

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hail and Greetings

Good question!

About a fortnight ago, a Mormon missionary came to me door. I thought he was delivering a PC I was expecting. He told me that they were explaining their beliefs and inviting people to their church. They want people to have a happier life. I told him politely that I’m Pagan and I’m not planning on converting to Mormonism. He asked what did I know about Mormonism. I told him. He was surprised that I knew about his religion!

He then asked me what my beliefs were and I told him. Then He gave me a card with his number on it and asked me to ring him later. No hassle at all

One of the Nine Noble Virtues of Asatru is hospitality and that means when people come to me door, I am polite and patient and try to make them feel at home. I am honest about my faith and I don’t mind telling people whenever it is safe and appropriate to do so. Most people don’t know what Asatru/Paganism/Heathenry is; those that do are shocked to see that I’m one. (Funny, you don’t look Asatru!).*chuckle*

Having a good sense of humour helps when dealing with evangelists. ^_^

Live long and prosper,
Babochka

Upvote 0

indagroove

Apr 14, 2005
USA
✟9,211.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anyone denying God, is not going to ruin my day. Being a christian comes with a burden, and that is the Great commision. We are commanded to spread the word of the gospel. Our commission is not to beat you into submission :) As long as you know, and you choose to not have the faith, that is not going to ruin my day.

That is your decision, and I would not invade your space.

Just tell the in-your-face types that you know the Gospel, so they need to move on.

Personally, I am not an in-your-face type. I did not have the faith for many years, and no one person was going to convience me why I should give up my pleasures of the flesh. I was having fun. So I tend not to preach. I am a witness though, but only by my life changing experience.

So I hope the people do not bug you too much. There are many christians that get on my nerves too. :)

Peace Out

Upvote 0

Foolish_Fool

Wanderer
Jun 3, 2006
Here
✟19,855.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My response is always simple and straight forward. I tell them that I have no reason to believe in any deity, because I see no reason to believe. I tell them that I'll decide wether their god is real or not when I die and to get back to me then. Doesn't leave much room for debate and doesn't give them an opening to attack my beliefs, because I don't have any.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spinto

Jun 26, 2003
Texas
✟850.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
apaige said:
After I fell away, I made a promise to myself never to argue with Christians (at least in public/real life) about Christianity...I'm still open to turning back to God. And it wouldn't give me any pleasure (as opposed to when I was convincing people ot join the faith) to be the person who coaxes someone to doubt their faith.

But I always find it awkward when someone evangelizes to me and I have to fight hard not to have my eyes roll to the back of my head, because I've heard it all before and said the same things many times over before. For some of the people who are really bad at it, I almost want to take them by the hand and say, "OK, now you want to say this point and such and such" But I don't want to be rude and say "I know i know leave me a lone" and would rather not make my own faith travels a discussion. What's the best way to turn someone down?

I always find that a simple, "I'm sorry, I have to get going... Have a nice day!" usually works very well.

To me, I feel if someone is going to be hurt by that (especially a stranger who I feel really shouldn't be asking anything that personal), than I really can't help that.

But, I always try to be polite yet unaccessable. Becuase if you humor in the slightest, you just invite more.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I think this thread is very informative.

It gives Christians pause to think about how we are coming across to Non-Christians.

I remember with regret the times that I have opened my mouth when I should have remained silent. By our fruits, they will know that we are Christians. By working in the soup kitchen, by helping others in need, by offering a shoulder to cry on, by grieving with those who mourn, and by offering a sincere smile or a word of kindness, we can do much to help alleviate the pain and suffering of both Christians and Non-Christians.

And we should not discriminate. We should be kind to all we meet. See how the Christians love one another ... that should be our guide.

We cannot just talk the talk, we must walk the walk first. By our charitable kindness, we can help show Non-Christians that we care.

While the thread is uncomfortable to read, it does speak the truth. We Christians should be very careful how we evangelize because we do not want to turn Non-Christians away from Christ. The Apostles and the disciples of Christ spent three years living with Christ to learn how to spread the Good News. St. Paul spent three years in preparation for his ministry. Shouldn't Christians be trained for at least three years under Godly men before they begin to evangelize?

Just because a person has filled out the section in his Bible saying that he was saved because he prayed the sinner's prayer, that doesn't give him the right to go out and preach the next day. Yet it happens.

This is why it is so important to be discipled and trained by those Christians who are older in the Lord, so that we won't alienate the sincere seekers of the Lord.

Upvote 0

wcwred

Apr 24, 2006
Ga.
✟15,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been exactly where you are. I was a young preacher, and due to different situations I backslid. My biggest problem was that I was extremely stubborn and would not listen when God told me to repent. Eventually it came to the point that I could NOT listen. I had refused to listen so many times that Satan was able to dig his claws in me and God, I believe, actually hardened my heart. When someone would plead with me to repent and return, I would literally tell them where to go. But God will not allow one of His to continue degrading the anme of Christ. He took me to the point of death, but even this did not do it. (all the while people were praying with fervor for my soul). It truly became a matter of spiritual WARFARE! Finally God removed the callous from around my heart and allowed me to see again, and even here Satan would not let go. He began to attack not just me, but those praying for me, those close to me. Even to the point of physical threats to their bodies. He tried to kill 1st my mother, and then the next morning my wife. That is where he seriously messed up. It was at that point that I told Satan that if he wanted a battle he could "damn well have one" (pardon the french). Later that day I fell on my knees in repentance and was immediately re-filled with the Holy Spirit. The hardest part of all of this was making restitution to many that I had offended (this had to be done before God could use me again). Of course the devil doesn't give up easily and for several months it was a monumental struggle. But, when God showed me something in His word, that literally is a secret known by very few Christians (because it is not taught); Satans attempts became very feeble and almost pitiful.
Another sad part to this is the years I wasted, that I could have been serving the Lord, instead of serving myself. Don't allow your own way to cause you to miss what God has planned for your life. Don't allow Satans influence to cost you the joy of the Lord. And don't allow Satan to keep laughing at what he has done to you. Remember the words of Christ; "those that are not against us are for us". It also goes the opposite.
You are either serving God Almighty or you are serving Satan. Choose this day whom you will serve.

Upvote 0

Ead

Jun 19, 2006
Montana
✟8,117.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When people try to convert me, i get very entertained ^.^ No meaning to offend anyone, but anyone who has tried to convert me always seems to be hidding their intentions. Like, one guy wanted me to go to youth group with him. Well, i didnt know this guy, so i said i probably couldnt. He hounded me for a couple of minutes, all the while my friend is getting annoyed by him. If i wasn't in a house full of people trying to convert me, i would have debated him to make him go away. But, i didnt wanna hurt anyone's feelings so i just hoped he went away, which he did.

But all the while i knew he was just trying to convert me, like it was a job. That isnt going to help me think about anything other than how insinsere they are. It made me feel like the youth group had a tally for how many people they could convert, and if you get a certain number you get a new bike or a mountain of candy. All he wanted to do was a job. He had no real feelings in it, just a job. And he wasnt telling the truth to me, which made me upset.

But, thats just one guy. He was about... 18 i think, just out of highschool. That party was full of youth-group people, and it was kinda funny cause upstairs all the girls were bawling at Phantom of the Opera, only it was just the title screen ^_^

Upvote 0

Sharky

Rockin dude!
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟7,782.00
Faith
Christian
You need to realise that evangelists are human too. They are not better than you or I. They were once like you, or me, or anyone who has sinned.

Their job is to just tell you but remember, not all evangelists are the same. Some are young, who probably just started, who don't know what to do but they're just trying to be faithful to God. Others are hardcore open air preachers who are just fiery and passionate.

However there are others who are false prophets (it does happen) or even people like the Phelps, preaching the gospel with hatred.

Just remember, the Good news is exactly what it is. Good news. If you hear the Good news in a bad way, go for it and point it out to them politely. We make mistakes all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

JustAVessel

To the non-Christians: thank you for your honest responses. They give Christians the opportunity to see what it is like on the other side.

Personally, I do not practise "street evangelism" on my own, but I am not against going with a group and doing a performance at the beach or something, like some Christian groups do. I try not to badger people, but I will bring up religion with people I know when the opportunity arises and respect them if they don't agree. I'll keep bringing it up, though, from time to time, and if their response is the same, then fine. I leave myself open if they have any questions. One friend of mine, she knows that whenever she has questions about the supernatural, she can ask me, and I use those opportunities to witness. I let people come to me instead of "Bible beating."

While there are Christians who are rude while trying to witness (and at the same time giving a very bad witness), understand that that's not what Christianity is about. Also, the majority of people who will witness to you probably have your best interest in mind (as they should.) If they seem persistent, they're probably just trying to be helpful, because, to us, Christianity is the best thing in the world, and that's something that we want to share.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
While there are Christians who are rude while trying to witness (and at the same time giving a very bad witness), understand that that's not what Christianity is about.
Jesus never gave quotas, or head count rewards, that we would feel obligated to do a certain amount of evangelism, or feel rejected by God for not doing enough.

He said "go into all the world..." to proclaim the glad tidings, to teach, and disciple (and allow signs to follow). Disciples are like students.

Greek "Make disciples"
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]
    [*] to be a disciple of one
    1. to follow his precepts and instructions
    [*] to make a disciple
    1. to teach, instruct
    [/FONT]
Think of the people who take spiritual yoga classes, or try out Tony Robbins' teachings. They want to improve something in their lives, so they follow someone with a reputation for powerful change. They allow themselves to be discipled by someone who knows how the process works. The teachers, grateful for how the concepts worked in their own lives, are happy to pass along the information.

Upvote 0

Boltwave

Sep 26, 2005
✟423.00
Faith
Seeker
Evangelicals have twisted many many things, I might be breaking a rule for saying this, but evangelists and modern day Christianity in my opinion is insanity, for instance, my pastor back at my old home once said he could "feel the presence of the Holy Spirit through a fragrance in the air" and after the service I went near the filters and saw that's where the smell was coming from, evangelists, like many Christians, have obscured the message of Christ, Jesus did not say to go out and opress the belief in God upon others, Jesus did not say to discriminate, Jesus did not say to be self righteous in our actions, and to this day many Christians are working in the opposite, even some evangelicals.

Christ gave his powers over to his disciples, as he says "for now that you have freely recieved, that may also freely give", and we must pay close attention to that verse in particular, do not be ignorant and go against homsexuals and Satanists because they have chosen their own destinies, not saying I agree with them at all, but also remember "you have heard it said, you will love your neighbor and hate your enemy, but I say onto you, you shall love your neighbor, and pray for those that persecute you."

Remember not all Satanists are bad people or devil worshippers, neither was the band KISS "Kings In Satanic Services" I'm not saying the casual appearance of the band and it's style was not involved with evil, but don't go saying they where doing the bidding of Satan, as that is FOOLISH, it's like Criss Angel, he probably has something to do with demons, whether you call it an "illusion" or whatever, but he does not directly go to Satan as a form of religious association, I will say to you people as I will say to many in discussions regarding, the bible teaches us about moral deception and the world of the spirit, not zealous "burn the witch at the stake" (by the way that was a hypocrtical move by the Catholic Church if you read the Old Testament about throwing people to the fire) movements, when you start going left and right with illogical assumption and oppress others into doing your bidding, you have become a mindless sheep, following others without questioning your own heart, and that was not Jesus' message at all, it's like Ghandi once said "Jesus I like, but not his followers."

Sometimes if you mention the word "demonology" Christians may freak out and suddenly say "that's the work of the devil" or "I don't want to get involved with Satanic stuff" this of course is also ignorant, did Jesus oppose demonology? No sir, in fact, demonology is the listing of demons and evil spirits by their name and characteristics, it's fundamental basis comes from Christianity! And let's go to say what if you were to watch The Exorcist, hmmm? Oh heavens no, if your a good Christian you won't watch that film because it gives enlightment to the devil, here's a thought: William Peter Blatty the author of the book and screenwriter of the film was a Christian! (And as rumor has it, a former priest!)

Scott Derickson, the director of the movie Emily Rose is also a Christian, so what in heaven's name are you people up to to put judgement on such silly things as if they give Satan power? Are you blinded? If you don't acknowledge the devil and sit in a chapel all day with your arms up in the air with your eyes closed tightly uproaring the praise of God you become nothing more than a mindless lamb to the slaughter, your kids will rebel, your kids will want to do whatever they want because of your silly silly judgement on things that are not needed to be judged, evangelicals are a good example of this, if there is no devil, sin is not a very serious thing now is it? Have you forgotten what Peter says to fellow Christians? "Be aware and self vigilent, your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion."

Of course, the church is a safe haven from evil, is it not? WRONG! While the church may be the "house of god" do you not think demons cannot break through and influence the surroundings of the church? I am so saddened, to see such madness and tradition to be tossed to the wind for more assanine interperetations, "Christians can't become possessed by spirits" once again, you are WRONG, now self righteousness comes into the picture, you have in no right mind to judge who and who will not become with union to God, don't put yourself in God's place and place judgement upon others and shun the darkness of Satan so that only light shines through, ah but wait, Satan is a being of light!

That concludes my rant.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Boltwave,
You've done a lot of study and analysis on the church!

I believe that God sees more mistakes and oppressions within the church than we do. But He's constantly working within us to bring us closer to His intention.

It's like you said--self-righteousness ruins so much.

Some of us are wacky about demons because we've been involved in spiritual warfare, and seen people physically oppressed by supernatural forces. (You probably have too, from the description of your church.) How that comes across to others is not just weird, but can seem very backwards or restrictive.

Ideally, we would not approach conversations with stifling fear and condemnation, but with simple directness and spiritual strength. Jesus just did something about supernatural oppression, rather than focusing on the oppressed person and telling them their tee shirts were demonic.

Yes, each one of us has had our quirks, and has been in error about our approach to spiritual things. We're all still learning, even though we don't act like it!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.