Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Our government tries to preserve the religious freedoms for all, even for prisoners in our jails. We have Jews and Muslims who have special diets due to religious requirements; for example they don't eat pork. I was reading today that for this reason our prison systems no longer serve any pork at all, cuz it's just easier to get rid of it altogether than to serve different meals. What do you all think of this?

A few thoughts I want to throw in.... You have to remember that the meat in prisons is mystery meat to begin with. Everything is processed. At least it all was in the jail where I spent a half a week. Yuck. Inedible -- I stopped eating, the food was so bad. Second... Isn't pork less expensive than other forms of meat? So doesn't this raise the bill for prisons? Third... doesn't this kind of make everyone observe the religion of the minorities? Is THAT right to do?

So have at it folks.

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Prisons are all about efficiency. If it means not having to worry about special diets, they'll just rid certain things. For example, there really is no such thing as salt in many of them. They'll just douse everything with pepper to give it kick. A lot of the deserts are sugar free, including juice mixes. And if you are a vegetarian, well most of your tray is going to be carby veggies, grain, and fruit anyway.

But getting rid of an entire animal is a bit over the top. It probably has everything to do with Muslims. There's also oddball gangs like 5 Percenters who have Muslim-like ideologies. I can't imagine there's too many practicing Jews in prison.

Upvote 0