East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here lately I have wondered why I do not hear ANY sermons preached on hell. I grew up Pentecostal and all those years I would hear preaching on hell fire, repent and give your life to Christ. Many times I saw the Holy Spirit convict people during these sermons and they would practically run to the altar. It seems here lately and has been happening for years now that preachers no longer preach on this matter. Why has everything turned into a pretty package, tickle your ears service?? Why have we strayed away from this? The preacher used to pour out his heart to the congregation, pleading the case of Jesus to turn from the wickedness of this world for there is a heaven and there is a hell, choose today who you will serve, repent for the time is drawing near. What happened to this teaching and preaching, it seems it has all but vanished?

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I absorbed plenty of it as a kid. Don't go to the same sorts of services now, so I can't tell if it's the same. But I believe it.

Maybe preachers feel like life is tough enough now without threats of hell every week?

Upvote 0

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Good question, I think interfaith, sinners and lgbtq community is playing a role on where the pastor wants people of all backgrounds to feel welcomed.

I'm a new Christian, so I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absorbed plenty of it as a kid. Don't go to the same sorts of services now, so I can't tell if it's the same. But I believe it.

Maybe preachers feel like life is tough enough now without threats of hell every week?
I know what you mean, heard plenty myself. BUT NO DONT GET ME WRONG.....I dont think or want to hear it every week at all. Im referring to the fact that you totally do not hear it anymore.....nowhere.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what the sermons were like but did they sound like the GOSPEL (GOOD NEWS of JESUS CHRIST and THE MESSAGE of THE CROSS)

Do you think the people came to to CHRIST out of fear of hell
Or because they understood the prick to the heart unfathomable gift of GOD's LOVE and MERCY and GRACE in HIS SON?

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question, I think interfaith, sinners and lgbtq community is playing a role on where the pastor wants people of all backgrounds to feel welcomed.

TRUE to some extent.....but if you are truly serving the Lord and truly following the leading of the Holy Spirit you do not let the "world" lead you. You preach the truth, not sugar coating it. I think thats kinda the problem today, all these (spoiled) kids that had no discipline and never heard that its a tough world out there and for sinning and never living for Christ the consequence is hell. It just seems to have all together vanished. I dont wanna hear that every week, but Im saying you NEVER hear it anymore......

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think that's a great response

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here lately I have wondered why I do not hear ANY sermons preached on hell. I grew up Pentecostal and all those years I would hear preaching on hell fire, repent and give your life to Christ. Many times I saw the Holy Spirit convict people during these sermons and they would practically run to the altar. It seems here lately and has been happening for years now that preachers no longer preach on this matter. Why has everything turned into a pretty package, tickle your ears service?? Why have we strayed away from this? The preacher used to pour out his heart to the congregation, pleading the case of Jesus to turn from the wickedness of this world for there is a heaven and there is a hell, choose today who you will serve, repent for the time is drawing near. What happened to this teaching and preaching, it seems it has all but vanished?

Its not popular anymore. It doesn't get people in the seats. Look at all the preachers who have the megachurches. People like Joel Osteen. They only preach feel good sermons and their attendance grows. Its becoming more about making people feel good than telling them the truth.

Now, there is an ecumenical movement on the way with the intention of united all the churches that claim to be christian and they would need to put aside doctrinal differences and preach unifying message. Hardcore messages about hell is not going to be accepted. More churches are going in this ecumenical direction softening the word of God to have a message that more people will agree with, sacrificing truth for acceptance.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It may be not wanting to scare the children in attendance. I remember when I was young... kids getting frightened, one to the point he had to get counseling and his parents stopped him from coming to church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TRUE to some extent.....but if you are truly serving the Lord and truly following the leading of the Holy Spirit you do not let the "world" lead you. You preach the truth, not sugar coating it. I think thats kinda the problem today, all these (spoiled) kids that had no discipline and never heard that its a tough world out there and for sinning and never living for Christ the consequence is hell. It just seems to have all together vanished. I dont wanna hear that every week, but Im saying you NEVER hear it anymore......
I don't think many understand THE GOSPEL

especially the children today

How do we make children and everyone

LOVE THE LORD

First and foremost

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what the sermons were like but did they sound like the GOSPEL (GOOD NEWS of JESUS CHRIST and THE MESSAGE of THE CROSS)

Do you think the people came to to CHRIST out of fear of hell
Or because they understood the prick to the heart unfathomable gift of GOD's LOVE and MERCY and GRACE in HIS SON?
I know what you mean and I see your point. But yes you have to "balance" the scales. No I dont think they should preach it for fear, to scare you. Im saying that there is a consequence to actions. My parents when i did wrong, gave me discipline and there was consequences for my actions. I did bad, i am restricted or other things happened. But at the same time they showed me love and care. Im just saying there should be a balance. Im not at all saying it should be hell hell hell and nothing else. Just a well balance. Dont preach to itchy ears.....preach to the heart.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean and I see your point. But yes you have to "balance" the scales. No I dont think they should preach it for fear, to scare you. Im saying that there is a consequence to actions. My parents when i did wrong, gave me discipline and there was consequences for my actions. I did bad, i am restricted or other things happened. But at the same time they showed me love and care. Im just saying there should be a balance. Im not at all saying it should be hell hell hell and nothing else. Just a well balance. Dont preach to itchy ears.....preach to the heart.
Yes I understand what you mean now

But if there are new unbelievers in THE BODY hearing this as the MESSAGE of THE GOSPEL is it for love or fear of GOD that they run to the altar?

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clintos

Feb 3, 2017
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
✟27,562.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The fear of God was so powerful in my life that it convinced me of hell, this in turn made me decide that if hell is real then obviously there must be a heaven. The fear of God prevented me from suicide. But I am sure the revelation of heaven would of done the same thing.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fear of God was so powerful in my life that it convinced me of hell, this in turn made me decide that if hell is real then obviously there must be a heaven. The fear of God prevented me from suicide.
Ok

But the fear of hell drove a little child and his parents away?

Where IS the balance but in preaching THE POWER of THE CROSS

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Maybe it's because many pastors now know that the new rise of 'nones' in America has partially come about because of an intolerance among Millennials (and Generation X'rs) regarding preaching on Hell, among other things.

Besides, it's kind of hard to pay the monthly Church building fees, or even just keep the lights on, if one's parishioners stop showing up. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what the right thing is to do but I believe HE is always ready to forgive

We are told to forgive our brother we are told anyone who confesses their sin HE is faithful and just to purify us of all unrighteousness that the one who hopes in HIM purified thenself even as HE is pure

Those who are terrified who have made mistakes Who received the GOSPEL out of fear of hell. What happens to them when and if they sin?

Will they know to come to and keep coming to HIM to be washed

Upvote 0