Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I remember learning that there will be no marriage in Heaven.

“At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven” (Matt 22:30).

So this thought extends to another... how will we feel about our spouses?

I guess the easy and immediate answer is that we'll love them with the sort of Agape love that Jesus has for us. And love like that is difficult for us to fathom with our current "human" minds.

But for those of you who feel that you can discuss this honestly, how does it make you feel that your husband or wife will be just like everyone else to you in Heaven?

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Redguard said:
I remember learning that there will be no marriage in Heaven.

“At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven” (Matt 22:30).

So this thought extends to another... how will we feel about our spouses?

I guess the easy and immediate answer is that we'll love them with the sort of Agape love that Jesus has for us. And love like that is difficult for us to fathom with our current "human" minds.

But for those of you who feel that you can discuss this honestly, how does it make you feel that your husband or wife will be just like everyone else to you in Heaven?

I believe the same way....that we'll just love everybody the same...and to think of that, it makes me kind of sad right now to think I won't really "know" my husband in Heaven....but I guess when the time comes, it's going to be beyond our wildest expectations so there's really no reason to be sad about it!

Upvote 0

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I trust that God has worked out the details, and that everything will be alright. In my heart and mind NOW though, no, I'm not comfortable. If I think on it too much now, I get sad. Still, there is no pain in heaven, so it must work out just fine. I don't know how. My heart can't fathom it, but I just have to trust Him.

Upvote 0

2lplvr

Nov 21, 2004
NC
✟1,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think of it the same way I do my children. I'll see them in Heaven and think, "God let me be their mother!". I think of it as a privilege God has given me for this time but I am in no way sad that it will be different. I know it will be better than it is now because I won't have all the carnal baggage of just being in this fallen world.
Eternity compared to 50 or 60 years puts things in perspective for me.

Upvote 0

E_Powers

Humble Baker for the Lord
Sep 2, 2004
st chuck mo
✟8,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
andiesmama said:
I believe the same way....that we'll just love everybody the same...and to think of that, it makes me kind of sad right now to think I won't really "know" my husband in Heaven....but I guess when the time comes, it's going to be beyond our wildest expectations so there's really no reason to be sad about it!
no think of it as you are going to know every one as well as your husband. and you will know every one like you know your self

Upvote 0

LovesOfMyLife

Michael, Daniel, and Zoe
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟16,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
E_Powers said:
no think of it as you are going to know every one as well as your husband. and you will know every one like you know your self

That said it perfectly. I believe in Heaven you love EVERYONE the way you love your family. It doesn't mean you love your spouse any less...it just means that you love everyone around you MORE!!!

I believe you are still married in Heaven...otherwise, why would God have said marriage is for all eternity? Marriage is a symbol used frequently throughout the Bible when referring to everlasting love. I believe we WILL be married to our spouses in Heaven. It makes me sad to think that we might not be. I married my dh for ALL ETERNITY.

Upvote 0

GirlieGirl

Jesus
Feb 1, 2004
✟16,452.00
Faith
Christian
What is bound on earth is bound in heaven, right?

Well, I don't know. Hubby and I did a study on this before we married, then the thought of not being together was heartbreaking and we cried through most of it. But I do know that there will be no tears in heaven so the plan God has worked out is good.

Reactions: FaithWeaver
Upvote 0

FaithWeaver

Dec 30, 2004
✟7,893.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When I think that I won't be married to my husband in heaven, the fleshly side of me is very sad. However, God said that there will be no tears and no sadness in Heaven. I just hope that we will have mansions next to each other. :)

It makes sense that we wouldn't be married in Heaven. If we were, then the widows who remarry will have more than one spouse in heaven.

We are the bride of Jesus, so I guess we will be "married" to him, right?

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think we will recognize our spouse, family, and friends but we will feel the same about our spouse as we do about all of God's people who are heaven. We are going to be in the presence of God, and I do not believe the issue of not being married is going to cross our minds.

Upvote 0

sara elizabeth

Nov 29, 2004
✟807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think, in Heaven, we will be so far removed from this life that it won't even matter anymore. I do like to think, though, that in Heaven I will know my husband and children with a fond remembrance, kind of like I look back at things from childhood. Not a wanting to go back to it, but just with a warm feeling. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
I think that it's well understood that we'll feel happy happy joy joy in Heaven once we get there.

I guess I'm just focusing more on how we feel about it 'now'. For instance, right now, I'm incapable of thinking how it will be possible for me to look at everyone the way I look at my wife right now. Or not being able to place her above anyone else, in terms of the way I feel, since she'll be on par with everyone else.

Right now... it feels like a bummer. Although I know "in theory" that I'll be happy about it in Heaven.

Upvote 0

E-beth

Senior Contributor
Feb 6, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟20,861.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have for a long time had the belief that when we are in heaven we will be children. I don't know where the thought came from, but since I work with kids I can really imagine a heaven where everybody just plays with each other the way kids do. Then we will crawl up on Jesus' lap and cuddle and God will invite us to listen to the angels sing with Him and He will tell us stories. It won't matter who used to be married to whom because we will all just be friends playing and worshipping and running around.

It may not be the truth, but I like to think of it this way.

Upvote 0

Songbirdz

Dec 22, 2004
Oregon
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anybody seen the movie The Five People You Meet In Heaven? Or read the book. It was a book first and then just came out to TV last month. John Voight played the lead role. It was an amazing movie. After just loosing my husband 2 years ago it made me look at heaven in a whole new way. After my husband died, I had signs around me really obvious ones that he was saying goodbye but after watching this movie I know that you do have contact in heaven with your deeply loved ones and although the human part of our being is in the soil our emotions of what makes our spirit live on. You have to see this movie. I believe after seeing it that even people you may not have loved has special purpose to us that someday we find out about. Thank God there is no sadness up there. I would sure like to believe that The Lord allows us to peek in every once in a while to see our children or mothers or even spouses at certain times. I really feel like he does that for me. It has only happened a couple of times and I really wouldn't want him watching me all the time anyway, but the Lord knows the perfect time for everything. We are all borrowed here for a short time on earth but will spend eternity standing before the Lord answering and asking all questions that we had in this life and I doubt God would wipe out the fact that we were married or were parents or for that matter had parents. That is what our life is about here on earth right? We will be connected in a very strong way in the kingdom in our new bodies but same in spirit!
Amen!

Reactions: Redguard
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2lplvr

Nov 21, 2004
NC
✟1,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
sethsmommy said:
This also brings another question to mind...

How will we feel about our enemies we have here on earth in heaven if they go also?

As believers our only enemy should be Satan. We are suppose to bless those who curse us and pray for them and hopefully part of that prayer is for their salvation.

Now people I don't particularlly like, well God obviously see their hearts and that's what matters to him. I'll trust His judgement ;) .

Upvote 0

the_man

" My heart is spoken for&
Nov 21, 2002
Boulder CO
✟16,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As a single person, I lack the perspective that most of you have. However, I'd like to imagine that, the knowledge of such will only make me love a spouse more.

To me it's really a question of if God is "big" enough to "pull" this off. There IS going to be marriage in heaven; the marriage between God and his Church. I don't think it is coincidence that we will not be given in marriage to each other in heaven and that God uses the marriage institution to describe what our relationship with him would be like. So whatever pleasures one gains from a marriage relationship on earth will be of little consequence when we are in heaven.

For the now however, in our walk as Christian's, ultimate satisfaction comes from God, no human can fill that void (but all of you in marriage know this). If my satisfaction is from God, if my love is rooted in Him, if my love for Him is greatest, it doesn't diminish my love for a spouse, it increases my capacity to love my spouse (and others).

Upvote 0