Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
While I'm not sure that Uni took the right step with kicking him out RIGHT then (if this was the only incident), this:
The administration further decided that Ngole’s beliefs about homosexuality affected his "ability to carry out a role as a social worker.”
is actually a CRUCIALLY important point. As the homosexual community is already sufficiently marginalized, it would be counterintuitive for some who holds disrespectful views of the community and then be expected to serve them.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,018.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A few years ago a distinguished gentleman was charged with a crime for publicly reading the words of Winston Churchill. I wonder if they don't have more freedom of speech in Saudi Arabia.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I don't agree with him, I do find what happened to him to be sad.

If employers do not want to hire him because of his views that's on thing, but he shouldn't be kicked out of Uni for his views.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
No freedom of speech?

So, has this guy been arrested and sent straight to a gulag?

I'm guessing, probably not.

There is freedom of speech in the UK. Some of the most 'free speech' in the world.

But what freedom of speech does not mean, is say whatever you like with no consequences. If I were to post a link to my company's biggest competitor on Facebook, with a comment about how great they are, I would probably get the sack. Equally, if you attend a university, you sign up to their rules. Which evidently forbid spreading homophobic messages.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,018.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not.

But what freedom of speech does not mean, is say whatever you like with no consequences.

I'm honestly trying to figure this out. It seems an Orwellian definition of freedom. How are you free to do something when you are punished for doing it? You could say I'm free to commit murder, it's just that I will face consequences if I do it. :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,258.00
Faith
Christian
Strange that the same university that is apparently so concerned about people's feelings that they expelled this student was OK with students forcing their way into a restaurant on campus, barricading themselves inside, refusing the orders of University staff to remove themselves and injuring a staff member. Must be that free speech thing

Apparently it's also OK to stage a protest in lecture halls that led to lectures being cancelled too. I wonder if those students will be kicked out of university

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Because it means without consequence...
No, it's not.

YES IT IS.. Sorry, you're wrong on this one.
The entire meaning of "freedom of speech" means that you are free to express your idea's and beliefs without fear of consequences or reprisal.

ya might want to do a bit of study about it.. its the WHOLE POINT of freedom of speech.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Some points to consider:
Is this about freedom of speech?
Could this be about hate speech?
Is the argument that he can't be a social worker due to his beliefs?

Oh boy.. all good debates.. I like this one for its potential alone.. but we must keep in mind that this didn't happen in the USA.. our constitution is different and its wrong to try to apply it to the UK.. although that's another debate all together.

Personally, I'm glad they kicked his rear end to the curb... we don't need people like that in our society. Perhaps he'll learn a lesson from it.. If you're going to be a social worker, you can't be biased against society..

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People often falsely assume that freedoms extend to the workplace...they don't...

The moment you sign on the dotted line to work for someone else, you're voluntarily waiving certain rights and agreeing to play by their rules.

Same goes for any other case where you're on someone else's property. If someone has a rule that there's no cussing in their house...I can't claim first amendment violation if they ask me to leave for cussing.

Granted...I understand the frustration for some as there have been a number of double standards established in the past few years that make exceptions for certain groups that tread the line of violating a business owner's rights.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,018.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People often falsely assume that freedoms extend to the workplace...they don't...

Yes, even in the U.S. it's just the government which is legally precluded from punishing speech, and people do get it mixed up. An example is when the Dixie Chicks criticized George Bush and received a great backlash, they complained about their freedom of speech being violated. No, their freedom wasn't being violated, there were just a lot of people telling them they disagreed with them. There's no legal protection from being disagreed with.

But in the case of a university especially, whether in the U.S. or U.K. or anywhere, the idea of stifling ideas in a place devoted to learning doesn't sit right with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
But in the case of a university especially, whether in the U.S. or U.K. or anywhere, the idea of stifling ideas in a place devoted to learning doesn't sit right with me.

What idea's where being stifled? The student wasn't posting idea's, he was basically posting bigotry based hate speech wrapped in biblical doctrine. Obviously that can be argued, but its the point I'm trying to make.

I'd bet the barn there's more to it than that single post.. I'm thinking he's been either accused or warned in the past about something similar... I could be mistaken.

Reactions: The Cadet
Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do some people think that freedom means "without any consequence?"
You mean like the government sending you to jail for saying mean things on twitter?

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Ok.. are you folks ready for some irony?
So this UK student apparently quoted Leviticus 20 - punishments for sin...

Anyone see a photo of this guy?
felix-ngole.jpg

Also in Leviticus:

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

So we have a black guy quoting Leviticus to protest homosexuality.. And this guy is black? I have to wonder if he's ever even read the bible.. Leviticus also endorses slavery.. What a moron..

Upvote 0