Jul 7, 2005
Chicago
Visit site
✟7,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails. The way Trent Reznor plays with and organizes sound is amazing, and I own and like multiple NIN albums. The Downward Spiral is an angst classic, too -- great for when I'm in a horrible mood! Have you heard the new album yet? I had it on my iTunes but I lost it when my hard drive crashed. :( At least it waited until the day after I turned in my last paper of the quarter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Nine Inch Nails are awesome, but the new album hasn't grown on me yet. If you like NIN then you should at least get a copy of The Downward Spiral, definitely no bad songs there. I don't even think Trent has made a song that I would consider bad.
NIN too sterile?:scratch:

Upvote 0

Alecto

May 28, 2005
✟1,775.00
Faith
Pagan
Politics
US-Others
steve_kyle said:
No, can't say that I like them. Just too dark and depressing. Plus, the way he often throws out the anti-christian bone, it just irks me. I can't even say that I think they have good music. Too sterile. JMO
Dark and depressing isnt always bad :)

Upvote 0

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's such an exceptional musician - absolutely love his music, esp Pretty Hate Machine...just a shame about some of the ungodly lyrics :sigh: Often a problem I find with music I love (Killing Joke are my favourite band of all time, but some of Jaz's lyrics..........oh dear!); then there's Ministry, RevCo, Jane's Addiction... ho hum

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alecto said:
No offense, but so what if some of the music is ungodly? I listen to songs that dont jive with my religious standards, but its still good music

Uh...me, too - wasn't that clear from my post? The problem is, I love my husband, and wouldn't want to hear people saying (or singing) bad stuff about him. Same goes for God. It doesn't upset my religious standards (cos I haven't got any!), I just love my Father & my Saviour, and don't enjoy hearing people running them down.

But I do LOVE the sound of the music - it's a dilemma!

Hope that clears that up.

Upvote 0

TankGirl

Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Alecto said:
Yeah that clears it up, but it still seems a little pointless to toss good music because of the lyrics.

Haven't - love it - listen to it - enjoy it...

...just don't feel so good about some of the words...

...Also, if the words weren't an important and integral part of the song, it would just be an instrumental (and then there wouldn't be an issue!). You can't actually seperate the two. I'm talking about music I love, that really rocks me, with brilliantly written lyrics (if they were cr*p I couldn't enjoy the song), but I just don't feel comfortable with the sentiment.

Please don't get the idea that I'm ignorant & uneducated about music, and would dismiss as rubbish any music just because I don't agree with the lyrics.

Personally, I haven't got any time for Marilyn Manson - not because of any of his shock tactics, his lyrics, or the music (absolutely LOVE the sound); it's just because I don't particularly like the sound of his voice (karaoke Manson would be amazing - all the tunes, with the vocals cut out - yay!), and I'm not very impressed with his apparant assertion that he's some great innovator - Trent Reznor, Jaz Coleman & Al Jourgenson were all at it DECADES before MM ever put in an appearance!

But now we're WAY off topic!

On with the NIN show...

Upvote 0