United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not Kevin McCarthy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...republicans-have-a-revolution-on-their-hands/

But, those single-issue theories all miss the broader point here: There is a revolution happening within the Republican party right now. The establishment's hold on power is more tenuous than it has been at any time in recent memory. There is no one currently in office that can claim with any credibility that he or she speaks "for" the party as a whole.
Where is the GOP headed?

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No problem.

John Boehner has indicated his willingness to stay on.
Winking_smiley.gif

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is there a difference between the Freedom Caucus and the Doomsday Caucus?
So Representative Kevin McCarthy, who was supposed to succeed John Boehner as speaker of the House, won’t be pursuing the job after all. He would have faced a rough ride both winning the post and handling it under the best of circumstances, thanks to the doomsday caucus — the fairly large bloc of Republicans demanding that the party cut off funds to Planned Parenthood, or kill Obamacare, or anyway damage something liberals like, by shutting down the government and forcing it into default.
Source: NYTimes - Paul Krugman

Or is he just being humorous?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I have a hunch that there will be a vote shortly, and a choice will be made. In no time, all the exuberant and exaggerated talk about chaos in the ranks will be forgotten and things will proceed normally. Most likely, one candidate will emerge as a consensus selection within a few days and there won't even be much of a fight when the vote actually occurs.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Daniel Webster Wins Conservative Republicans’ Endorsement for House Speaker
Who?
Mr. Webster’s call for a more open legislative process that would make it easier for rank-and-file lawmakers to put bills and amendments on the House floor is precisely the sort of change sought by the conservatives who pushed for the resignation of Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio, who will depart at the end of the month.

They have faulted Mr. Boehner’s leadership style for not empowering House Republicans to be more aggressive in confronting President Obama and Senate Democrats.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FWIW, I have a hunch that there will be a vote shortly, and a choice will be made. In no time, all the exuberant and exaggerated talk about chaos in the ranks will be forgotten and things will proceed normally. Most likely, one candidate will emerge as a consensus selection within a few days and there won't even be much of a fight when the vote actually occurs.
What's surprising is that they haven't already. Whoever it is needs 218 votes, which can cross party lines.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People who don't keep up with current events really should think twice about admitting it online, especially in between posts in he or she talks like a close observer of the political scene. :blush:
That's all right, we don't think the less of you.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What's surprising is that they haven't already. Whoever it is needs 218 votes, which can cross party lines.
Well, a few days lapse is only reasonable and gives potential candidates the opportunity to come forward. After all, it was almost assumed that Kevin McCarthy was unbeatable and so other possible candidates didn't put themselves into consideration. They might do so now. That said, if this were to drag on until Thanksgiving, that would possibly be a problem, but I can't see that happening, nor do I think John Boehner wants to stay on as Speaker a day longer than he'd intended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Rep. Daniel Webster, the former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, was already mentioned as a possible replacement for John Boehner because of his past experience and because he received the second most votes in the caucus for Speaker the last time around.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
People who don't keep up with current events really should think twice about admitting it online, especially in between posts in which he or she talks like a close observer of the political scene. :blush:
To who does this refer? Nobody in this thread made any such admission.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rep. Daniel Webster, the former speaker of the Florida House of Representatives, was already mentioned as a possible replacement for John Boehner because of his past experience and because he received the second most votes in the caucus for Speaker the last time around.
So far, he seems the most likely.
..nor do I think John Boehner wants to stay on as Speaker a day longer than he'd intended.
That's for sure. Ryan doesn't want it either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...all because McCarthy acknowledged the House GOP was conducting a congressional investigation for political purposes. Sad state of affairs in the GOP these days.....still hoping saner minds prevail of over the ideological purists...

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I looked up Daniel Webster. Turns out he's hugely experienced. He led the opposition to Andrew Jackson's administration very effectively by all accounts.
And he's a master of philology.

(ach, trolling my own thread)

Upvote 0