✟2,001.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Everyone!!

As of last night I was just appointed Youth Director for a youth ministry in the works. I have 2 teenage girls that I have not yet met, lol--And am basically trying to figure out how I can draw more youth in.

We've got a really cool set up at the club house with ping pong tables, pool tables, fooze ball etc, overlooking the harbor so the kids will have an awesome water front view. My pastor has a boat in the harbor and has offered to let me use it for bible studies and whatnot. We are a new church just starting so I have no budget to work with at the moment. I would love to give from my own pocket but unfortunately I am unemployed as well as my husband so we don't really have too much.

So my question is--Anyone have any ideas that I could use to draw the youth to our church? I have such a heart for the youth and wanna do what I can to help them grow in the Lord and even get to know the Lord if they do not already.

Thanks so much in advance! Be blessed! :D

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We have biking outings, "out for boardwalk fries" times (well, really "Five Guys" fries but ... ), hiking, geocaching.

We also have a (and never call it this) themed "scavenger hunt" game every year to bring friends to. It's not necessarily a good thing to start with two kids, though. Maybe when you get about eight kids, two groups can compete. But it's all about getting in character for the head of the game. Requires adult leaders & workers who can act and stay in the part.

Upvote 0

Beminde

Nov 16, 2006
The Netherlands
✟8,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Going to certain (church) activities together. Making long walks on the beach, campfires, droppings and film nights is what I used to do with my youth group like once a year and we loved those things. :)

(I don't know if dropping is an English word, but the idea is that you drop a group some place they don't know and then they have to find their way home).

Upvote 0

we are called

lay-minister in training
Jul 21, 2009
London Ontario
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
The Bible study is fine, but it gets repetative to teenagers. You seem to be well set up with games that teach fairness and co operation. the kids in my group like to play cards (I'm teaching them Euchre on Fri). Last week I got some modelling clay and let the kids go nuts creating... worked a discussion on Genesis into that. Just beware that clay can be REALLY messy.

let the Good Lord guide you, be open to ideas and make sure you ask your kids what they want to do, then figure out how to make it biblical.

good luck and God bless.

Upvote 0

twiggysara

Feb 23, 2006
✟15,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Behind all the programs and fancy youth room, remember one thing about Youth (as well as any other ministry)- the one thing we all want is to feel loved. If you can love those two girls and teach them to show God's love to others, you will be much more successful than focusing on being the "cool" youth group. (Don't get me wrong, foozball and ping pong are great, and I surely wish my pastor owned a boat, but it's all secondary to the real reason we do what we do)

Beminde- I love the "droppings" idea. I think I will try that.

Heymikey- Can you elaborate on the scavenger hunts?

Upvote 0