the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's natural to be a little racist.
That's because it's natural to be judgemental, and because it's natural to prefer your own 'kind', based on looks, culture and behaviour etcetera.
But we have a conscience, which tells us it's not justified.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I believe it's natural to be a little racist.
That's because it's natural to be judgemental, and because it's natural to prefer your own 'kind', based on looks and behaviour etcetera.
But we have a conscience, which tells us it's not justified.

Birds of a feather flock together.
I do not believe that, I've never understood preference for any particular ethnicity. When it comes to women, I like women, it doesn't matter the color... I can't even begin to understand how someone could go through life limiting the possibilities, such a waste... :help:

But as it relates to the story, that would not apply here because the incident in question would not reflect people "preferring their own."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Which poster believes all whites are racist all the time?

We've all agreed not to directly refer to that poster. That way, if he/she ever suspects we're talking about them...we can just deny it and ask them to point to the post where we said anything bad about them.

I think we all know who we're talking about though.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,258.00
Faith
Christian
There was a recent study where black and white actors met with a real estate about buying or renting properties. Despite having the same financial background, non-white actors received fewer options than their white counterparts.

Were the estate agents of different backgrounds? Assuming a mix of agent backgrounds it sounds like something more than just personal bias.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Were the estate agents of different backgrounds? Assuming a mix of agent backgrounds it sounds like something more than just personal bias.
What do you mean by more than personal bias? Since all the actors are the same on paper, and since they've all been trained to interact in the same way, what could be the reason for the discrepancy? I actually don't believe it's all personal bias (as in hatred for particular group). I think there are some agents that will make assumptions about customers and then offer them certain options. But whether it's hatred or simply mistaken assumptions, there is a gap created that shouldn't be there. I tend to think it's more assumptions than outright hatred.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
There was a recent study where black and white actors met with a real estate about buying or renting properties. Despite having the same financial background, non-white actors received fewer options than their white counterparts. One notable finding in the study was that the real estate agents were polite to everyone, you couldn't look at their treatment and claim discrimination, but their discriminatory behavior is only something you can see when you consider groups of prospective customers. And this problem isn't simply regional, it's nationwide.

There are many flaws in society today, but passing out candy or not passing out candy as discrimination, is a bit trivial.

All of us should look in the mirror , and use the wisdom God gave us.
We should be proactive about the real issues , that mean life or death.

Eventually, a Wall Street Journal analysis uncovered that, “hundreds of homicides by law enforcement agencies in the U.S. between 2007 and 2012 are not included in FBI records.”

The Journal analyzed “the latest data from 105 of the country’s largest police agencies,” and “found more than 550 police killings during those years were missing from the national tally or, in a few dozen cases, not attributed to the agency involved. The result: It is nearly impossible to determine how many people are killed by the police each year.”

Assuming this discrepancy is correct, the adjusted yearly death tally would rise to 492 police killings per year, bringing the number of blacks killed by white police officers per year in the U.S. to 105.

Putting these figures in perspective then, for every black killed by a white police officer in the U.S. every year, there are about 71 blacks killed by other blacks.

Worse, if you take—on average—9,252 black-on-black murders every year for the past 35 years, you arrive at a staggering 323,820 blacks killed by other blacks on America’s mean streets in justthree-and-a-half short decades.

The problem, of course, is that this grim statistic will never be mentioned by Al Sharpton, the liberal media or any of the other race baiters out there, who are busy pointing the finger at racistwhite policemen killing “innocent, unarmed black children.”

By the way, last year 105 policemen were killed in the line of duty. This year 112 have been killed to date. That’s more than the number of blacks killed by white policemen, yet Sharpton sheds no tears for any of them.

This matters to everyone.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But that's not how the new world works - look at all the idiots posting 1 star reviews to yelp and hoping that the cafe goes under.
A restaurant near me had the same problem. It's a really good Pho restaurant, owned by a white chef who not only spent a lot of time in Vietnam to learn Vietnamese and other south-east asian cooking, he married a Vietnamese girl. His restaurant got a write up on a big food website.

The head line was something akin to "$CHEF: Everyone is eating Pho wrong - here's how to eat it right." Which then got picked up by other various websites as "White chef to Asians: You're eating Pho wrong". If you read the actual article, not only was the latter headline wrong, the former was as well. His statements were basically "Everyone likes Pho differently, but you should at least taste the broth before loading it up with whatever ingredients you like. Not all broth is the same, so you should taste it first at least out of respect to the chef. Personally, I like a lot of lime, and I don't think any Pho restaurant serves enough lime for me so I always have to ask for more."

But it didn't matter that his statements were utterly benign. People read the third party headlines and assumed that some white chef from the US was telling people of a certain culture that they were eating their own traditional food the wrong way. Suddenly he's a racist, hates asians, etc... etc... Yelp started getting flooded with 1 star reviews and Yelp had to shut off the ratings for weeks.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A restaurant near me had the same problem. It's a really good Pho restaurant, owned by a white chef who not only spent a lot of time in Vietnam to learn Vietnamese and other south-east asian cooking, he married a Vietnamese girl. His restaurant got a write up on a big food website.

The head line was something akin to "$CHEF: Everyone is eating Pho wrong - here's how to eat it right." Which then got picked up by other various websites as "White chef to Asians: You're eating Pho wrong". If you read the actual article, not only was the latter headline wrong, the former was as well. His statements were basically "Everyone likes Pho differently, but you should at least taste the broth before loading it up with whatever ingredients you like. Not all broth is the same, so you should taste it first at least out of respect to the chef. Personally, I like a lot of lime, and I don't think any Pho restaurant serves enough lime for me so I always have to ask for more."

But it didn't matter that his statements were utterly benign. People read the third party headlines and assumed that some white chef from the US was telling people of a certain culture that they were eating their own traditional food the wrong way. Suddenly he's a racist, hates asians, etc... etc... Yelp started getting flooded with 1 star reviews and Yelp had to shut off the ratings for weeks.
Yelp now actively polices this. Whenever there is a story like this, there are people that heap extra positive or extra negative reviews on a venue (the cafe that "won't serve Christians" and any business that was involved in serving homosexuals come to mind). Seeing this mention made me check their Yelp page and yes, they're blocking reviews for the time being.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So did the video ever come out?

You haven't seen too many of these types of attacks on businesses, have you?

Firing employees and offering apologies never works. Seriously, point me to even one instance of a company doing that and the attacks dying down.

Firing employees and offering apologies only signals two things:
  1. That you admit that you did something wrong.
  2. That you will bow to outside pressure.
As such attacks only intensify afterwards. The complainers now know that if they push hard enough they can make you do what they want, and they feel justified in doing so since even you admit that you were in the wrong.

Never apologize to Social Justice Warriors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums