New USA Congress Overwhelmingly Christian

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This came in the email this morning (Jan 24) from the Jerusalem News network:

“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen as His own inheritance.” Ps. 33:12

RELIGIOUS MAKEUP OF THE NEW CONGRESS OVERWHELMINGLY CHRISTIAN: The American Congress is about as Christian today as it was in the early 1960s, according to a new analysis by Pew Research Center. Among members of the new, 115th Congress, 91% describe themselves as Christians. This is nearly the same percentage as in the 87th Congress (1961 to 1962, the earliest years for which comparable data are available), when 95% of the members claimed to be Christian. Among the 293 Republicans elected to serve in the new, 115th Congress, all but two identify as Christians; there are two Jewish Republicans – Lee Zeldin of New York and David Kustoff of Tennessee – who both serve in the House.

Democrats in Congress also, overwhelmingly, claim to be Christian (80%), but there is more religious diversity on this side of the aisle. The 242 Democrats in Congress include 28 Jews, three Buddhists, three Hindus, two Muslims and one Unitarian Universalist – as well as the only member of Congress to describe herself as religiously unaffiliated, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz. Among USA adults who identify with or lean toward the Republican Party, 82% are Christian. (Worthy News) "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chron. 7:14

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

“Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen as His own inheritance.” Ps. 33:12

RELIGIOUS MAKEUP OF THE NEW CONGRESS OVERWHELMINGLY CHRISTIAN: The American Congress is about as Christian today as it was in the early 1960s, according to a new analysis by Pew Research Center. Among members of the new, 115th Congress, 91% describe themselves as Christians. This is nearly the same percentage as in the 87th Congress (1961 to 1962, the earliest years for which comparable data are available), when 95% of the members claimed to be Christian. Among the 293 Republicans elected to serve in the new, 115th Congress, all but two identify as Christians; there are two Jewish Republicans – Lee Zeldin of New York and David Kustoff of Tennessee – who both serve in the House.

Democrats in Congress also, overwhelmingly, claim to be Christian (80%), but there is more religious diversity on this side of the aisle. The 242 Democrats in Congress include 28 Jews, three Buddhists, three Hindus, two Muslims and one Unitarian Universalist – as well as the only member of Congress to describe herself as religiously unaffiliated, Rep. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz. Among USA adults who identify with or lean toward the Republican Party, 82% are Christian. (Worthy News) "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chron. 7:14

I know I'll get an infraction for saying this, but the Bible doesn't say that describing oneself as a Christian makes one a Christian.

It gives us four criteria to define a Christian:

1 Testimony
2 Doctrine
3 Fruit
4 Sanctification

It would be great if they are but, given the Bible's description of Christians being in the minority, I sincerely doubt it.

Don't confuse belonging to a Christian denomination or having an affinity for Christianity or even being an outward moral-seeming person with being a Christian. As Adrian Rogers said, "Man can go to Hell just as easily from a church pew as he can from a bar stool ".

And if "80%" of Congressional Democrats are "Christians", where is the fruit?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That means nothing. George Bush Jr claimed to be a Christian and he went along with the war mongering of the elitists anyway.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Has the US ever had congress that WASN'T "overwhelmingly Christian"? somehow I doubt it.
The question is whether they are Christians in name only or honestly stand for the values ( although they would still have to respect the first amendment.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The question is whether they are Christians in name only or honestly stand for the values ( although they would still have to respect the first amendment.
Ah, the "no true Christian" argument. Always a classic.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not saying that they are NOT true Christians, but SAYING you are a Christian does not in and of itself make you a Christian.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 2.21 ‘And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
quoting Joel 2.32a

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Acts 2.21 ‘And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’
quoting Joel 2.32a
BUT the LORD knows who TRULY believes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rom 10.14a How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
I did not say that we do not share the gospel I said that just because I say I am a believer and go through the motions does not mean I am; Only God knows the heart.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not really. This stuff is hard for pollsters to figure out as well.

The demographics for Christians is diverse in this country.

Barna Group goes to great efforts to breakdown the landscape of American religions and specifically who is a "practicing" or committed type.

Their post election survey of how people of religion voted, was quite detailed.

Not the subject of the thread but addresses your "no true Christian" comment:

https://www.barna.com/research/notional-christians-big-election-story-2016/

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These "Christians" want to take away the health care of millions of needy Americans, supported a vulgar con man for president, scapegoat immigrants, etc.

They're culturally Christian, but I'm not sure I see much of the love of Christ or milk of human kindness in most of them.
Ringo

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 7: King James Version (KJV)
7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These people are full of judgment about The Other - transgendered, Muslims, Atheists, liberals. But if you judge them on some of their unchristian behavior, suddenly the verses about "judge not lest ye be judged" come out.

"Ye shall know them by their fruit"
Ringo

Upvote 0