New to the site, have a question

Nov 26, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son has been recently listening to explicit rap songs. I was wondering if this has happened to any of your teens, and if I should be worried. I tried to listen to some of the music he plays, but it's too disrespectful towards women. I have a lurking suspicion that this will lead to other sins, like watching inappropriate content. Sorry if I sound far fetched, but I am really concerned for the safety of my son.

-Thank you

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You know some times the kids don't listen to the lyrics, it depends on the age of your son, if he is still in High School aka not in college yet, peer pressure can be tough. You are expected to dress a certain way and listen to whatever is popular.

I have gotten into some of "dark" music but not anything explicit like that.

Also if he is over 18 you can't really do anything about it just express how you feel about it. but until then you should try to monitor what he buys.. Still if it is his money do not intrude that much.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My son has been recently listening to explicit rap songs. I was wondering if this has happened to any of your teens, and if I should be worried. I tried to listen to some of the music he plays, but it's too disrespectful towards women. I have a lurking suspicion that this will lead to other sins, like watching inappropriate content. Sorry if I sound far fetched, but I am really concerned for the safety of my son.

-Thank you

I believe you are right to be concerned. There are some great Christian rap artists such as Gritz, Lecrae, KJ-52, Toby Mac, T-Bone, Flame, Trip Lee, Tedashii, DC Talk, Sho Baraka and John Reuben.

As a parent, you have every right and responsibility to make the rules. As a teen, it's almost impossible for you to keep up with what he is doing outside the home. My prayers are with you.

Father God, be with this parent and touch this child's life in miraculous and wondrous ways. Make this son see that it pleases you when his children listen to lyrics that glorify your name. Convict his heart whenever he listens to explicit lyrics. Help him to find the strength and grace to say no to songs of violence and help him to fall in love with Christian rap music. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Upvote 0

homeofmew

Master Trainer
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
Houston, Texas
Visit site
✟28,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I hate to say it this way, but yes there are many "Contemporary Christian Alternatives".

However Like I said it's a lot about peer pressure, they don't actually like the lyrics or the beat, most young people listen to it because "everyone else" is. Personally I can't stand most Christian music. Personally I like Nightwish and Within Temptation, which yeah are kinda "dark" like I said before but, my point here is teens feel like they have to fit in and talk about what everyone else likes. (Which isn't Christian Anything Music)

Upvote 0