New to Jazz

Sothiamient

Oct 28, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Protestant
Like mentioned earlier, Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis are excellent choices for listening. A good old-style jazz vocalist, and probably the most famous, is Ella Fitzgerald. Burt Bacharach is a decent 60's composer, and Chris Botti is an excellent trumpeter/composer from today.

Edit:

I should not say "decent" when referring to Bacharach, he is more deserving than a word of little impact.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2007
Maine
✟7,637.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can never go wrong with Miles Davis, of course. One CD that I always recommend to beginners in jazz is the famous Kind of Blue (1959), since it is easy to follow for people new to jazz, with simple chord progressions, melodic solos, etc. Any music store with any decent selection of albums should have several copies of this is stock...It's that prevalent.

For the "swing" style, you can never go wrong with some Duke Ellington, for example, or any number of other composers.

I'd suggest getting some "sampler" CDs (you know, the "Various Artists") ones. There are some good sets out there (perhas try Amazon), and in this format you can get to know jazz better and decide what type of jazz/what artists really strike your fancy.

Jazz is an amazing idiom, and so diverse--you'll definitely find something out there for you. :thumbsup:

:wave:

Upvote 0

lostwithoutu

Apr 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The greats have been mentioned except for Thelonius Monk which I highly recommend. If you're looking for more modern jazz I'd recommend:

Thelonius Monk (not modern but deserves the top of my list)
herbie hancock,
billy cobham,
dave weckl,
spyro gyra.
john mclaughlin,
Yellow Jackets,
John Zorn,
Allan holdsworth,
modesky martin and wood
galactic
stanton moore
bill laswell

some names I've listed are also considered funk but you can't deny the jazz that's in it.

also some of the names i've mentioned are solo artists that play with various groups and / or projects you can look any one of these names up on youtube and see what it's all bout.

My music studies are primarily jazz and these are the guys I look up to, which have been recommended to me over the years.

Also don't forget the ones previously mentioned on this thread..Those are the grandfathers of what we know Jazz to be now.

There are many many more but this is what I could provide on a whim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian Soldier

QUESTION EVOLUTION
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
✟2,190.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
One can't go wrong with any recordings by the following, which is meant to be only a small sample list. Virtually all of them can be found on Youtube.

Dave Brubeck Quartet
Miles Davis
John Klemmer
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Lester Young
Gerry Mulligan
Charlie Parker
Bud Freeman
Stan Getz
Dizzy Gillespie
Louie Armstrong

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget vocal jazz. Torme', Fitzgerald, Garland, so many others. Jazz is a pretty broad catagory. Take your time and listen to all of it, then you'll be able to refine your search and find the stuff special to you.

Have fun.

rev

Upvote 0

the_Abbot

Veteran
Dec 22, 2003
Florida
✟17,945.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Check out 22 year old trumpet player Christian Scott. He has to albums out and he is absolutely amazing.

Some other modern day jazz musicians to look out for are Russell Gunn, Daryl Reeves, Rober Glasper, Marty Williams, and Christian McBride.

Matter of fact check out my myspace http://www.myspace.com/ashsaddler for some myspace links to some jazz musicians.

Upvote 0

lostwithoutu

Apr 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
✟7,803.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One can't go wrong with any recordings by the following, which is meant to be only a small sample list. Virtually all of them can be found on Youtube.

Dave Brubeck Quartet
Miles Davis
John Klemmer
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Lester Young
Gerry Mulligan
Charlie Parker
Bud Freeman
Stan Getz
Dizzy Gillespie
Louie Armstrong
Awesome list!

Upvote 0