New to Christianity...

siriusone

Jan 2, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Seeker
well....Not exactly new but I've just started to take it seriously. I was raised going through the motions of being a Catholic such as baptism, communion, and church on Christmas Eve but my family, friends, and community never really lived a Christian life. Over the summer I met a few Christians that tried to open my eyes to Jesus and the bible and I admit, at first, I thought they were crazy. I didn't deny God but never tried to seek more information. Recently, over the past several months something has made me investigate Christianity even further. I was lucky enough to have a great Nun teach my theology class in college this semester and she has helped to open my eyes. I've been trying to learn more about Jesus and the bible but I have recently been asking myself a new question. Which sect of Christianity should I follow? I've been raised Catholic but I believe I have gotten nothing out of it, maybe because of lack of interest or maybe being Catholic isn't for me. Is there any way to find out how to choose a sect of Christianity that fits ones needs?

Also, I just finished "The Case for Christ" which was a great read...any suggestions for books like that?

Thank you all!

-John

Hiskid4ever

Standing on the promise of God
Nov 21, 2005
✟9,622.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John- first off, welcome to ChristianForums. And secondly, welcome to life with Christ.

My suggestion is to try a non-denominational church. Sometimes (I am not saying always) denominations get caught up in the legalistic side of things. Like what the women wear, how to cut your hair, ect. Things that have nothing to do with your eternal life. I have found non-denominational churches to be a better choice for me because you aren't caught up in what the denomination believes but rather what the Bible says.

I do hope you are able to find the right church for you. If you have any questions I might be able to help you with or anything, feel free to send me a private message.

HisKid4ever

Upvote 0

Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! I have been to many denominations, and none seem to follow the Bible fully, or what Jesus said, to me. I studied church history, and found information about the true saints and the true church, and then found what lined up with that. Here I am.

Upvote 0

IrishGrace

Contributor
Sep 1, 2004
✟22,534.00
Hello!

Welcome to ChristianForums... I hope you will enjoy your time here. If you have any questions, or just want to talk, feel free to PM me :)

5.gif

Upvote 0

tryme

Oct 22, 2005
✟13,188.00
Faith
Calvinist
Welcome to CF. :wave:

Here are a few places you may want to start at.
For fun check out the
Relaxation or Hobbies areas
For Christians there are Congregation forums and forums by Life Stages
For non Christians there are Questions by Non-Christians and Struggle by Non-Christians forums

If you have questions about the site check out the CF Support forum.
Read about
Blessings and Reputation and Health.
You can read about a lot of things in the
FAQ.

With the seeker icon you will not be able to post in the Christian Only area.

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the%20wave.GIF

WELCOME!

“The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."
-----------
Thought of the Day:"I'm not sure where you're leading me, unless you've led me here, to where I'm lost enough to let myself be led." - Rich Mullins

Is there any way to find out how to choose a sect of Christianity that fits ones needs?
I think this is where most make the mistake, trying to taylor Christ to fit your own personal wants/needs, or feelings. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hackett

Contributor
Oct 4, 2005
Texas
✟25,290.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Charitina said:
Welcome! I have been to many denominations, and none seem to follow the Bible fully, or what Jesus said, to me. I studied church history, and found information about the true saints and the true church, and then found what lined up with that. Here I am.
That is good advice, Charitina. We all need to be careful to check out the teachings of the church we attend. Also, write down your statement of faith. That helps clarify what your core beliefs are. This is a journey we are on, learning and growing in Christ every step of the way.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums