New movie "The Book of Clarence" depicts Biblical Judea as a 21st-century American Black ghetto

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This movie opened in theaters yesterday. I'm not sure what this guy (Jeymes Samuel) is trying to say, but it certainly (to me) has more to do with current racial politics than it does the Christian Faith.

Clarence is an atheist Black dope pusher in Jerusalem, who competes in chariot races against Mary Magdalene (yes, really), and owes a lot of money to his supplier, "Jedediah the Terrible". He can't come up with the cash because he's underprivileged and disenfranchised (sound familiar?), and he's also being oppressed by the Romans, who are all white and are the equivalent of the po-lice in today's society.

Mary Magdalene, by the way, is Black, as are the Virgin Mary (played by Alfre Woodard), John the Baptist, Judas Iscariot, Barabbas, and Jesus himself. Samuel asks "Who was in the 'hood?" with regards to 1st-century Judea, and apparently decides there was no difference between then and any street corner in Philly or Flatbush five minutes ago.

The review below gives it a positive rating (of course), but also says that Samuel wants to "tread lightly, and respectfully, on our ideas of the messiah myth". :mad:

I tend to disagree with that assessment; I don't find anything very respectful about it at all. But I suppose that's because I'm male, white, Catholic, and conservative, which automatically means I am also privileged, patriarchal, oppressive, racist, bigoted, blah, blah, blah, blah, the usual tired bleat.

To those who say this might be an over-reaction, what would they say to a white director making a movie about Martin Luther King, Jr., and depicting him as a Chinese lesbian woman? Think that would go over well?

2024’s Most Unique Movie Is an Anti-Historical Epic With an Identity Crisis​

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This movie opened in theaters yesterday. I'm not sure what this guy (Jeymes Samuel) is trying to say, but it certainly (to me) has more to do with current racial politics than it does the Christian Faith.

Clarence is an atheist Black dope pusher in Jerusalem, who competes in chariot races against Mary Magdalene (yes, really), and owes a lot of money to his supplier, "Jedediah the Terrible". He can't come up with the cash because he's underprivileged and disenfranchised (sound familiar?), and he's also being oppressed by the Romans, who are all white and are the equivalent of the po-lice in today's society.

Mary Magdalene, by the way, is Black, as are the Virgin Mary (played by Alfre Woodard), John the Baptist, Judas Iscariot, Barabbas, and Jesus himself. Samuel asks "Who was in the 'hood?" with regards to 1st-century Judea, and apparently decides there was no difference between then and any street corner in Philly or Flatbush five minutes ago.

The review below gives it a positive rating (of course), but also says that Samuel wants to "tread lightly, and respectfully, on our ideas of the messiah myth". :mad:

I tend to disagree with that assessment; I don't find anything very respectful about it at all. But I suppose that's because I'm male, white, Catholic, and conservative, which automatically means I am also privileged, patriarchal, oppressive, racist, bigoted, blah, blah, blah, blah, the usual tired bleat.

To those who say this might be an over-reaction, what would they say to a white director making a movie about Martin Luther King, Jr., and depicting him as a Chinese lesbian woman? Think that would go over well?

I’ll pass on that one. The woke crowd is trying to redo everything. To me, this is brainwashing.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Plot

The story unfolds in three "Books", e.g., "Crucifixion", with old-Hollywood style title-lettering, like Cecil B. DeMille's Ten Commandments.

A struggling down-on-his-luck Black man in A.D. 33 Jerusalem, Clarence, and friend Elijah lose a chariot race with Mary Magdalene -- and money the victory would have brought --, due to difficulties like gypsies shooting darts at them, and almost running over a dirt-encrusted beggar, Benjamin.

Clarence owes money to loan shark Jedediah the Terrible, but also loves Jedediah's sister Varinia. Roman soldiers racially profile Clarence and Elijah for a theft they didn't commit.

Clarence, a marijuana smoker who steals honey wine from the Romans, smokes opium one day, around the floating-in-air bodies of other opium-smokers, and -- seeing a light over his head -- conceives the idea of being a fake messiah, capitalizing on the rise of Jesus Christ, to free himself of debt and start a life of glory. John the Baptist slaps him for being a hypocrite when he drops by to be baptized.

Clarence proposes to the Twelve Apostles (who, like Jesus, are all Black), that he become the 13th apostle. They laugh at him. Clarence's twin brother Thomas, one of the Twelve, is cynical and dismissive towards Clarence. In turn, Clarence criticizes Thomas for leaving their mother to follow Jesus.

Judas Iscariot proposes that Clarence free a group of gladiator slaves, to earn his place as an apostle. Clarence goes to the gladiators' owner and proposes he free them. The owner instead says he'll free the slaves if they beat Clarence to death; then says he'll just have the huge Barabbas the Immortal fight Clarence.

Clarence wins through trickery; Barabbas is freed, and goes with him. Barabbas is rebellious against Roman rule and antagonizes Roman soldiers. Barabbas claims to be really immortal, except if hit in the heel (like Achilles).

Clarence visits Jesus' mother Mary, and father Joseph, asking how he can perform the same "tricks" Jesus does. The parents insist that Jesus is real, not a trickster.

Clarence, Elijah, Barabbas, and Zeke travel the land, with Clarence performing "miracles" like bringing Elijah "back from the dead". They make much money. Also, Clarence, an atheist, preaches "knowledge over belief". However, Clarence decides to use the money to free the gladiators, rather than paying back Jedediah.

Mary Magdalene is being stoned to death due to accusations of sexual congress with Romans. Elijah tries to shield her. Jesus arrives, stops the stones' flight in mid-air, and notes that the stone-throwers are themselves sinners. He heals Mary's wounds. Elijah believes.

Jesus gives money to Benjamin, and the ability to multiply coins. The newly-rich Benjamin buys a "makeover": under the dirt, he is a long-haired white man who resembles conventional portrayals of Jesus. Benjamin traipses around, throwing money to people, and Romans believe he is another "messiah".

Varinia betrays Clarence by being at a party with him, with Jedediah waiting outside. Jedediah tries to collect his money, with Romans helping him. Barabbas resists, though Clarence insists he run away.

Barabbas is speared three times, but survives, killing a Roman centurion sent after him. Jedediah is impressed and makes up with Clarence, though the Romans take Clarence away, since they are supposed to arrest any messiahs.

Pontius Pilate interrogates Clarence, who confesses that he is a trickster, not a messiah. Pilate says that despite confessing to fraud, Clarence may save himself by walking across water (a nearby pool). Clarence, to his own amazement, is able to do so, following a vision in the clouds. Nevertheless, Pilate says he will crucify him.

Varinia visits Clarence in prison, and kisses him. Thomas also makes up with him. Pilate mocks Jesus' ideas of human equality, though Clarence mocks the Romans' male nude statues.

On the way to the cross, Amina, Elijah, and Barabbas watch. Cabbage, a small gypsy who despised Clarence, now helps carry his cross. Benjamin is crucified alongside Clarence, complaining that an onlooker is making a painting of him (looking like a traditional white Jesus).

Jesus tells his weeping disciples that he himself will be betrayed and crucified. Jesus comes to Clarence's tomb, forgives his prior unbelief, and raises him from the dead and heals his nail-wounds. Clarence now both "knows" and "believes", and smiles.

• Haha
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to be an adventure tale of sorts that is set parallel to the gospel narrative, similar to Ben-Hur.

What is your main issue with the movie? That they used black actors to portray some of the biblical characters (whose actual racial appearances are unknown)?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to be an adventure tale of sorts that is set parallel to the gospel narrative, similar to Ben-Hur.

What is your main issue with the movie? That they used black actors to portray some of the biblical characters (whose actual racial appearances are unknown)?
My main issue with the movie is that I don't care for movies that mock---however gently or blatantly---the story of Christ and the Gospels.

There are certain things that I don't believe should be parodied or messed with; this is one of them. It's the same reason I refused to see Life of Brian.

I find stuff like this to be offensive and repugnant. Others may find it amusing, I suppose. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be permitted to go view this trash if they want to---that's their right; but I want nothing to do with it.

Your mileage may vary.

• Agree
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

IcyChain

Nov 22, 2023
Alexandria VA
✟6,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My main issue with the movie is that I don't care for movies that mock---however gently or blatantly---the story of Christ and the Gospels.

There are certain things that I don't believe should be parodied or messed with; this is one of them. It's the same reason I refused to see Life of Brian.

I find stuff like this to be offensive and repugnant. Others may find it amusing, I suppose. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be permitted to go view this trash if they want to---that's their right; but I want nothing to do with it.

Your mileage may vary.
That's a fair criticism. I think you can have a movie like Risen or Ben-Hur that is tangential to the gospel story, but I would also want it to be done respectfully.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IWhat is your main issue with the movie? That they used black actors to portray some of the biblical characters (whose actual racial appearances are unknown)?
I don't see any people listed there who Look Like Me. Movies all now have to have minimum percentages of Blacks and Hispanics and Gays, and what have youi, but except for an occasional Asian woman (usually married to a white, black, or Hispanic character) there's no quota for East Asians at all. If that isn't racial discrimination there ain't a cow in Texas.

The fact is all the racial pandering is a matter of the most cynical kind of political manipulation, and it's easy enough to see who's being manipulated. Even "woke" celebrities still feel free to pull at their eyes and do the old ching-chang-chong routine, while they'd be skinned alive if they played the same game with any other "minority" group, with the exception of old, white, southern, Christian, men, who as everyone knows are the source of all evil in the world.

Jusy sayin', OK?

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Sounds like this individual has no knowledge of history...
And pushing drugs...? Well I think he wrote this on mushrooms. lol

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Plot

The story unfolds in three "Books", e.g., "Crucifixion", with old-Hollywood style title-lettering, like Cecil B. DeMille's Ten Commandments.

A struggling down-on-his-luck Black man in A.D. 33 Jerusalem, Clarence, and friend Elijah lose a chariot race with Mary Magdalene -- and money the victory would have brought --, due to difficulties like gypsies shooting darts at them, and almost running over a dirt-encrusted beggar, Benjamin.

Clarence owes money to loan shark Jedediah the Terrible, but also loves Jedediah's sister Varinia. Roman soldiers racially profile Clarence and Elijah for a theft they didn't commit.

Clarence, a marijuana smoker who steals honey wine from the Romans, smokes opium one day, around the floating-in-air bodies of other opium-smokers, and -- seeing a light over his head -- conceives the idea of being a fake messiah, capitalizing on the rise of Jesus Christ, to free himself of debt and start a life of glory. John the Baptist slaps him for being a hypocrite when he drops by to be baptized.

Clarence proposes to the Twelve Apostles (who, like Jesus, are all Black), that he become the 13th apostle. They laugh at him. Clarence's twin brother Thomas, one of the Twelve, is cynical and dismissive towards Clarence. In turn, Clarence criticizes Thomas for leaving their mother to follow Jesus.

Judas Iscariot proposes that Clarence free a group of gladiator slaves, to earn his place as an apostle. Clarence goes to the gladiators' owner and proposes he free them. The owner instead says he'll free the slaves if they beat Clarence to death; then says he'll just have the huge Barabbas the Immortal fight Clarence.

Clarence wins through trickery; Barabbas is freed, and goes with him. Barabbas is rebellious against Roman rule and antagonizes Roman soldiers. Barabbas claims to be really immortal, except if hit in the heel (like Achilles).

Clarence visits Jesus' mother Mary, and father Joseph, asking how he can perform the same "tricks" Jesus does. The parents insist that Jesus is real, not a trickster.

Clarence, Elijah, Barabbas, and Zeke travel the land, with Clarence performing "miracles" like bringing Elijah "back from the dead". They make much money. Also, Clarence, an atheist, preaches "knowledge over belief". However, Clarence decides to use the money to free the gladiators, rather than paying back Jedediah.

Mary Magdalene is being stoned to death due to accusations of sexual congress with Romans. Elijah tries to shield her. Jesus arrives, stops the stones' flight in mid-air, and notes that the stone-throwers are themselves sinners. He heals Mary's wounds. Elijah believes.

Jesus gives money to Benjamin, and the ability to multiply coins. The newly-rich Benjamin buys a "makeover": under the dirt, he is a long-haired white man who resembles conventional portrayals of Jesus. Benjamin traipses around, throwing money to people, and Romans believe he is another "messiah".

Varinia betrays Clarence by being at a party with him, with Jedediah waiting outside. Jedediah tries to collect his money, with Romans helping him. Barabbas resists, though Clarence insists he run away.

Barabbas is speared three times, but survives, killing a Roman centurion sent after him. Jedediah is impressed and makes up with Clarence, though the Romans take Clarence away, since they are supposed to arrest any messiahs.

Pontius Pilate interrogates Clarence, who confesses that he is a trickster, not a messiah. Pilate says that despite confessing to fraud, Clarence may save himself by walking across water (a nearby pool). Clarence, to his own amazement, is able to do so, following a vision in the clouds. Nevertheless, Pilate says he will crucify him.

Varinia visits Clarence in prison, and kisses him. Thomas also makes up with him. Pilate mocks Jesus' ideas of human equality, though Clarence mocks the Romans' male nude statues.

On the way to the cross, Amina, Elijah, and Barabbas watch. Cabbage, a small gypsy who despised Clarence, now helps carry his cross. Benjamin is crucified alongside Clarence, complaining that an onlooker is making a painting of him (looking like a traditional white Jesus).

Jesus tells his weeping disciples that he himself will be betrayed and crucified. Jesus comes to Clarence's tomb, forgives his prior unbelief, and raises him from the dead and heals his nail-wounds. Clarence now both "knows" and "believes", and smiles.

I can't even.... ^_^

It is so bad, it's hilarious.
Seriously, nothing comes even accidentally close to the culture truth.

SMH

Upvote 0