Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey people in Australia and New Zealand, Netflix has just released a documentary about what happened on White Island (Whakaari) in 2019. It should be an interesting watch.
I saw the ad for the doco on Netflix tonight.

Our US and European friends may not be aware of what happened on Whakaari. This is a little summary taken from Wikipedia:

On 9 December 2019 Whakaari / White Island, an active stratovolcano island in New Zealand's northeastern Bay of Plenty region explosively erupted.[3] The island was a popular tourist destination, known for its volcanic activity, and 47 people were on the island at the time. Twenty-two people died, either in the explosion or from injuries sustained, including two whose bodies were never found and were later declared dead. A further 25 people suffered injuries, with the majority needing intensive care for severe burns.[4] The ongoing seismic and volcanic activity in the area as well as heavy rainfall, low visibility and toxic gases hampered recovery efforts over the week following the incident.

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
I remember seeing it on the news. It happened 3 days before my birthday and there were Australians who died in the disaster. There is still a court case happening against Royal Caribbean who organised the tours without consulting whether Whakaari was safe, and ignoring that the warning level had gone up on Whakaari the day before the disaster happened.

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0