Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easter’s Eucharistic invitation touches hearts.

For college student Jay Mingo, Communion was key to his entering the Church this Easter.

“The Eucharist really has been the driving factor for me in joining the Catholic Church,” he told the Register.

The sophomore at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln will join 37 others at St. Thomas Aquinas Church on campus in becoming Catholic.

Mingo, a native Texan, was baptized as a nondenominational Christian. His father’s side of the family was Catholic; his mother’s was Protestant.

“I remember going to Mass with my grandparents, but not really understanding it,” he recalled to the Register. “I did have a pull towards the Catholic Church, though, from a young age.”

During the 2020 pandemic lockdown, he spent time doing some intensive reading about the Catholic Church. He read materials from Ascension Press and Father Mike Schmitz and Catholic Answers; he explored such questions as praying to the saints and devotion to Mary and confession.

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟446,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟446,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
From the article ...

"He remembered praying at a Holy Hour in a small chapel and feeling a sense of “excitement and nervousness,” as he had never before been so close to the Host.

He said he was “moved to tears” and thought, “I really get to see Christ, offering to meet us where we are at, and experience his fullness. It is a beautiful thing and one that most distinguishes Catholicism from the Protestant churches I attended."

I had a real nice experience today.

I was attending a Griefshare meeting ... in a local Catholic Church, one I hadn't be in before.
So going to and fro the meeting room, I was looking around at the insides of the darkened, quiet church.
The church is an old one, lots of statues and signs of reverence.
Beautiful old pews ...

When the meeting was over, I found myself not wanting to leave the church. It 'felt' so good being there.
And then I realized. The difference between this church and many others is that the tabernacle is there.
The Real Presence of God is there.

... And how wonderful that is, to sense His Presence so near, especially when one is grieving.
The Comforting Presence of the Lord just 'felt' so good.

We serve a Great God, Who knows so very many ways to demonstrate His love towards us ...
and just when we seem to need it the most.

:heart:

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
“The Eucharist really has been the driving factor for me in joining the Catholic Church,” he told the Register.

Maybe the Eucharistic Revival the USCCB wants will come from an unexpected place like this?

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not one to be too big into 'man's plans' for things like revival ...
revival is a work of God.

But if God is behind this effort for revival? I do believe we will see it happen ...

Fair point

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟446,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Maybe the Eucharistic Revival the USCCB wants will come from an unexpected place like this?
Do you know what I would really like to see?

What I would like to see is a revival, and return, of those older, lapsted Catholics who once believed in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist.

I would like to see the Lord draw many of them back home to the Church, thru a love and desire for the Holy Eucharist.

I know we've had discussions here before ... about the older folks stepping aside to make room for the younger generation.
And I get all that. I do believe there comes a time to 'pass the baton' onto the next generation.

But so many of us who are older really did grow up with a strong belief in the Holy Eucharist.
If many of us were to be drawn back to the Church by a love for the Eucharist, we could become intercessors for the Church.

Many of us older folks don't have the health or energy to do what the younger generation is capable of doing, but we can pray.
Even if we are weakened and 'stuck' at home, we can pray. In a sickbed, we can pray.

Many of us who are older are 'retired' ... our children are grown ... we have the time to pray.

And might it not help to set the Church onfire for the Lord ... revive its members ... if many more within it were praying for it?

... yep, that's what I'd like to see!

:cherryblossom:

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟446,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
With regards to Eucharistic Revival ...

I'm just finishing up a very good book: "The Healing Power of the Eucharist" by Fr. John Hampsch

It is good, because Fr. Hampsch does a very good job of explaining the healing power of the Eucharist ...
physical healing, emotional healing, spiritual healing.

If more understood these things, and had faith to believe, we might see the revival the Church is praying for ...
and many healings, too.
:plus:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,891.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you know what I would really like to see?

What I would like to see is a revival, and return, of those older, lapsted Catholics who once believed in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist.

I would like to see the Lord draw many of them back home to the Church, thru a love and desire for the Holy Eucharist.

I know we've had discussions here before ... about the older folks stepping aside to make room for the younger generation.
And I get all that. I do believe there comes a time to 'pass the baton' onto the next generation.

But so many of us who are older really did grow up with a strong belief in the Holy Eucharist.
If many of us were to be drawn back to the Church by a love for the Eucharist, we could become intercessors for the Church.

Many of us older folks don't have the health or energy to do what the younger generation is capable of doing, but we can pray.
Even if we are weakened and 'stuck' at home, we can pray. In a sickbed, we can pray.

Many of us who are older are 'retired' ... our children are grown ... we have the time to pray.

And might it not help to set the Church onfire for the Lord ... revive its members ... if many more within it were praying for it?

... yep, that's what I'd like to see!

:cherryblossom:
I believe the modern forensics of Eucharistic miracles were Jesus saying “ it’s me, it’s really true” for the purpose of getting people back.

Upvote 0