Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Also, just as a general point: "New theology" is not a good thing.

The Church doesn't need "new theology", she needs the faith once and for all delivered to the saints.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Also, just as a general point: "New theology" is not a good thing.

The Church doesn't need "new theology", she needs the faith once and for all delivered to the saints.

-CryptoLutheran

Amen to that.

That said, using the alternate Patristic definition of theologian, that a theologian is one who prays, and theology is the experiential knowledge of God, we do need new theologians, and in Orthodoxy, even an infant or a mentally disabled person can be a theologian. However, we haven’t officially declared anyone a theologian since St. Symeon the New in the 12th century, and there are only two others venerated by us as theologians: St. John the Beloved Disciple, and the Cappadocian St. Gregory Nazianzus.

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen to that.

That said, using the alternate Patristic definition of theologian, that a theologian is one who prays, and theology is the experiential knowledge of God, we do need new theologians, and in Orthodoxy, even an infant or a mentally disabled person can be a theologian. However, we haven’t officially declared anyone a theologian since St. Symeon the New in the 12th century, and there are only two others venerated by us as theologians: St. John the Beloved Disciple, and the Cappadocian St. Gregory Nazianzus.
"officially declared"? LOL. "venerated"? Ridiculous. God's wisdom comes from the mouth of babes. Not from the the egos of old men with beards and "liturgy" idolators.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"officially declared"? LOL. "venerated"? Ridiculous. God's wisdom comes from the mouth of babes. Not from the the egos of old men with beards and "liturgy" idolators.
How about from LOLing self-anointed experts on the internet?

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How about from LOLing self-anointed experts on the internet?
How about actually researching what someone says FIRST before dismissing them and spouting your own opinions. Some people actually do know the actual TRUTH.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about actually researching what someone says FIRST before dismissing them and spouting your own opinions. Some people actually do know the actual TRUTH.
Hey, everyone here knows The Truth, it's just that no two of them agree. I think most (naming no names, you understand) are simply interested in peddling the viewpoints they got from hucksters like Tom Horn or from equally reputable YouTube prophets who can tell you dow to the minute when The Antichrist Will Take The Stage (they always say it like that; I think it originated with the world's least accurate prophet, Hal Lindsey). And of course they've all learned to dodge our Lord's assertion that no one will know the time of Hs return. And then they have to beat the tub for their particular sect and disparage other Christians who don't bow to their favorite End Times guru.

Yeah, Eschatology Expert is a game anyone can play, but few play it very well. So far, the failure rate for people predicting the Lord's return is 100%. In fact, if you wanted to feel sure of picking a date when Christ won't return, then your best bet would be the date being proclaimed the loudest by the cut-rate prophet du jour.

Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, everyone here knows The Truth, it's just that no two of them agree. I think most (naming no names, you understand) are simply interested in peddling the viewpoints they got from hucksters like Tom Horn or from equally reputable YouTube prophets who can tell you dow to the minute when The Antichrist Will Take The Stage (they always say it like that; I think it originated with the world's least accurate prophet, Hal Lindsey). And of course they've all learned to dodge our Lord's assertion that no one will know the time of Hs return. And then they have to beat the tub for their particular sect and disparage other Christians who don't bow to their favorite End Times guru.

Yeah, Eschatology Expert is a game anyone can play, but few play it very well. So far, the failure rate for people predicting the Lord's return is 100%. In fact, if you wanted to feel sure of picking a date when Christ won't return, then your best bet would be the date being proclaimed the loudest by the cut-rate prophet du jour.
Ya, spoken like a true arrogant know it all. Yes, some are totally out in their own fantasies. But it's very obvious you haven't done any REAL research. You still blindly parrot the debunked statement that "no one will know the day or hour". Obviously you won't.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ya, spoken like a true arrogant know it all.
Thank you! Actually I can't claim to know everything, as that really does exceed my grasp, but I can see how it might seem that way to someone in your position.
Yes, some are totally out in their own fantasies.
As you have so graciously demonstrated.
But it's very obvious you haven't done any REAL research.
I just don't have time for YouTube these days, on top of my long-standing aversion to arrant rubbish.
You still blindly parrot the debunked statement that "no one will know the day or hour".
Debunked, forsooth! So when our Lord said:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father

How did you go about "debunking" the Word of our Lord Himself? Have you taken steps to have them removed from the Bible? How did you come to find that they were in error, or "not what He really meant"?

Now me, I'm a simple old man. If I'd been there, and heard our Lord Christ say...

"
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

...I'd have taken it personally, and when I saw four Roman legions setting up seige works, I'd have taken His advice, grabbed up the wife and kids, and headed outta town at a high rate of speed. I reckon you'd have known better, and maybe you'd even have survived the sack of Jerusalem. I mean, according to Josephus, only a few over a million people were killed during the seige, and probably only 100K or so led into slavery, so it wasn't all that bad, huh? You might have got away clean.

Of course, that's just boring history, so who cares, right? After all, you have an essentially baseless doctrine to defend, and that's what's inportant. You've "debunked" our Lord's problematic (to you) words, and you've trivialized the slaughter of the population of Jerusalem, and the desecration and utter destruction of the Temple (as well as most of the rest of the city) so it should all be plain sailing for you now. If you could just get rid of annoying old geezers like me, who insist on not paying much, if any, attention to semi-literate dolts bloviating on subjects of which they know next to nothing on YouTube, you'd be home and dry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you! Actually I can't claim to know everything, as that really does exceed my grasp, but I can see how it might seem that way to someone in your position.

As you have so graciously demonstrated.

I just don't have time for YouTube these days, on top of my long-standing aversion to arrant rubbish.

Debunked, forsooth! So when our Lord said:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father

How did you go about "debunking" the Word of our Lord Himself? Have you taken steps to have them removed from the Bible? How did you come to find that they were in error, or "not what He really meant"?

Now me, I'm a simple old man. If I'd been there, and heard our Lord Christ say...

"
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

...I'd have taken it personally, and when I saw four Roman legions setting up seige works, I'd have taken His advice, grabbed up the wife and kids, and headed outta town at a high rate of speed. I reckon you'd have known better, and maybe you'd even have survived the sack of Jerusalem. I mean, according to Josephus, only a few over a million people were killed during the seige, and probably only 100K or so led into slavery, so it wasn't all that bad, huh? You might have got away clean.

Of course, that's just boring history, so who cares, right? After all, you have an essentially baseless doctrine to defend, and that's what's inportant. You've "debunked" our Lord's problematic (to you) words, and you've trivialized the slaughter of the population of Jerusalem, and the desecration and utter destruction of the Temple (as well as most of the rest of the city) so it should all be plain sailing for you now. If you could just get rid of annoying old geezers like me, who insist on not paying much, if any, attention to semi-literate dolts bloviating on subjects of which they know next to nothing on YouTube, you'd be home and dry.
Not interested. And didn't read your tripe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
, .. ,. ,. .. .
How old are you anyway? Take your marbles, and go.
the same age as my tongue and a bit older than my teeth.

So apparently the idea that our Lord’s words may actually have had some meaning to those who He was actually speaking offends you. I find that odd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, your profile says you are a Christian. I never would have guessed that from reading your posts.
Truth hurts. Try reading the words of Jesus some time. You probably wouldn't consider He was a Christian either judging by your "offended" mind set. There is no room for people who want to cause trouble and have nothing of value to add to these threads.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,601.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Truth hurts. Try reading the words of Jesus some time.
Try putting them into practice.
You probably wouldn't consider He was a Christian either judging by your "offended" mind set.
I'm not offended by Christ, I'm offended by your terrible witness for Christ.
There is no room for people who want to cause trouble and have nothing of value to add to these threads.
Then why are you here?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Try reading the words of Jesus some time.
Interesting. How about this:

A few posts back you declared that His words here had been "debunked". Not really an appropriate response to the words of God Incarnate, do you think>

In a later response to a post of mine consisting largely of quotes from our Lord, you described it as "tripe". Seems like a disturbing pattern there, doesn' it?
It seems that your reverence for the words of Jesus exists only insofar as what He said corresponds to your a priori beliefs.

Apart from that, it's comical to hear someone of your obvious youth tell folks who've probably read the New Testament more times than you've read the Gospels, assuming you've read them at all; I suspect that you may be one of those unfortunates who set out to read the entire Bible, get as far as Deuteronomy, and disappear never to be seen again. ) But in any case, I reckon you'd be as well off by, as the old saying goes, teaching your grandmother to boil eggs. than telling us to read the words of Christ. We've been reading them for far longer than you've been alive.

You probably wouldn't consider He was a Christian either judging by your "offended" mind set.
Hmmm... I can't remember anywhere in the Gospels where our Lord stuck out His tongue, stamped His feet, and screamed at anyone to go away and leave Him alone. That, of course, being the net effect of what you're doing by ordering Prodromos and myself out of a discussion thread. Strictly the bahavior of an ill-mannered child who was never taught to respect other people. So my suggestion here is to hold your breath until you turn blue, and maybe tear up some of your own toys so everyone will know just how angry you are, and see if you feel better.
There is no room for people who want to cause trouble and have nothing of value to add to these threads.
OK, you've been noticed. Go tidy up your room and do your homework, there's a good lad.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. How about this:

A few posts back you declared that His words here had been "debunked". Not really an appropriate response to the words of God Incarnate, do you think>

In a later response to a post of mine consisting largely of quotes from our Lord, you described it as "tripe". Seems like a disturbing pattern there, doesn' it?
It seems that your reverence for the words of Jesus exists only insofar as what He said corresponds to your a priori beliefs.

Apart from that, it's comical to hear someone of your obvious youth tell folks who've probably read the New Testament more times than you've read the Gospels, assuming you've read them at all; I suspect that you may be one of those unfortunates who set out to read the entire Bible, get as far as Deuteronomy, and disappear never to be seen again. ) But in any case, I reckon you'd be as well off by, as the old saying goes, teaching your grandmother to boil eggs. than telling us to read the words of Christ. We've been reading them for far longer than you've been alive.

Hmmm... I can't remember anywhere in the Gospels where our Lord stuck out His tongue, stamped His feet, and screamed at anyone to go away and leave Him alone. That, of course, being the net effect of what you're doing by ordering Prodromos and myself out of a discussion thread. Strictly the bahavior of an ill-mannered child who was never taught to respect other people. So my suggestion here is to hold your breath until you turn blue, and maybe tear up some of your own toys so everyone will know just how angry you are, and see if you feel better.

OK, you've been noticed. Go tidy up your room and do your homework, there's a good lad.
Just know that nothing you say from now on will be taken seriously and you won't be engaged in any serious adult conversations.

• Haha
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

EclipseEventSigns

Jun 17, 2022
Western Canada
✟33,399.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try putting them into practice.

I'm not offended by Christ, I'm offended by your terrible witness for Christ.

Then why are you here?
Just know that nothing you say from now on will be taken seriously and you won't be engaged in any serious adult conversations.

• Haha
Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.