MO.
✟250,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I say “not improved” because the new man does not need improved, being the nature after Christ (Col 3:10); and the old man cannot be improved, because it cannot be “subject” to the will of God (Rom 8:7)! I am the new man, not the old, for we “are not in the flesh” (old man or sin nature - Ro 8:9), though it yet “dwells within me.” Paul realized that he was not part of the old man when he said he did not do the wrongs, but the sin (old man) did the wrongs (Ro 7:17, 20 ); and we ourselves, in our new man are not in connection with our old man!

God has placed enmity between the believer and the old man (and between anything opposing God), so that it can be said that it’s not the believer, in his new man sinning, but in the old man; and we are not our old man. This is not to deny we sin but that we are not accountable for the old man; because it is not us, the new man that only desires to please God (1Jo 3:9).

God knows our will is only to please Him, for He “works” this in all who are reborn (Phl 2:13). This answers to why the separation, or sanctification from the old man (flesh). He does not want us to have any part with it, other than when we are tested by its temptings. When we see ourselves sin, we know it is not us in the new man but in the old, and we continue to learn God’s will because of it.

The new man does not sin, and it is never intentional or willful when we do sin. This is the intension of Paul’s use of the word “captive” (Ro 7:23). He still sins against his will, and protests that it is not him doing the sin. He has to be brought “into captivity to the law of sin” which is in him.

Paul knew he still sinned, but he also learned that he is “delivered” from the sin (Rom 7:24), and was thankful to God (v 25). He said he served the will of God “with the mind,” which is the intension of his new man; and when he said it was “myself” (v 25), he was referring also to his new self. He admitted still serving “the law of sin,” but he now knew it was not with himself in the new man that did it, but with the “flesh” (old man or sin nature).

I believe this answers to that “Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God” (1Jn 3:9). When you are reborn God “works in you” not to desire to sin—which is the goal. The “seed” is the new nature, that “cannot sin,” which are those reborn and have a new nature from Christ (some think the “new man” is Christ, but this cannot be because it was “created” - Eph 4:24).

When we sin, though it is with the old man, we still confess (admit) we sinned and repent; and thank God for His unbroken and “faithful” forgiveness (1Jn 1:9)!

Reactions: sandman

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I say “not improved” because the new man does not need improved, being the nature after Christ (Col 3:10); and the old man cannot be improved, because it cannot be “subject” to the will of God (Rom 8:7)! I am the new man, not the old, for we “are not in the flesh” (old man or sin nature - Ro 8:9), though it yet “dwells within me.” Paul realized that he was not part of the old man when he said he did not do the wrongs, but the sin (old man) did the wrongs (Ro 7:17, 20 ); and we ourselves, in our new man are not in connection with our old man!

God has placed enmity between the believer and the old man (and between anything opposing God), so that it can be said that it’s not the believer, in his new man sinning, but in the old man; and we are not our old man. This is not to deny we sin but that we are not accountable for the old man; because it is not us, the new man that only desires to please God (1Jo 3:9).

God knows our will is only to please Him, for He “works” this in all who are reborn (Phl 2:13). This answers to why the separation, or sanctification from the old man (flesh). He does not want us to have any part with it, other than when we are tested by its temptings. When we see ourselves sin, we know it is not us in the new man but in the old, and we continue to learn God’s will because of it.

The new man does not sin, and it is never intentional or willful when we do sin. This is the intension of Paul’s use of the word “captive” (Ro 7:23). He still sins against his will, and protests that it is not him doing the sin. He has to be brought “into captivity to the law of sin” which is in him.

Paul knew he still sinned, but he also learned that he is “delivered” from the sin (Rom 7:24), and was thankful to God (v 25). He said he served the will of God “with the mind,” which is the intension of his new man; and when he said it was “myself” (v 25), he was referring also to his new self. He admitted still serving “the law of sin,” but he now knew it was not with himself in the new man that did it, but with the “flesh” (old man or sin nature).

I believe this answers to that “Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God” (1Jn 3:9). When you are reborn God “works in you” not to desire to sin—which is the goal. The “seed” is the new nature, that “cannot sin,” which are those reborn and have a new nature from Christ (some think the “new man” is Christ, but this cannot be because it was “created” - Eph 4:24).

When we sin, though it is with the old man, we still confess (admit) we sinned and repent; and thank God for His unbroken and “faithful” forgiveness (1Jn 1:9)!
Although the new man (believer's spirit) does not need to be improved, the believer still needs to address our flesh and soul.

The Lord communicates with us through our spirit.
Proverbs 20:27 The spirit of a man is the lamp of the Lord, Searching all the inner depths of his heart.​

Paul tells us how he deals with the flesh:
1 Corinthians 9:26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.​
Man is a tri-part being: Spirit, soul and flesh. Hebrews 4:12 shows that our soul is separate from our spirit. I have heard it said that the soul is our mind, will, and emotions. Paul tells us how he deals with his mind:
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.​

Upvote 0

SamInNi

God's Riches At Christ's Expense
Jan 4, 2022
Ireland
Visit site
✟29,040.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe this answers to that “Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God” (1Jn 3:9).
This is a very important point. The Amplified Bible adds commentary here that clarifies the sense in which true believers don't sin: "No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God’s nature abides in him..." Those who clearly and continually practise sin cannot inherit the kingdom of God.

God's Life in us is comprehensively opposed to our old nature. This truth is emphasised in Galatians 5:17: "For the flesh has desires that are opposed to the Spirit, and the Spirit has desires that are opposed to the flesh, for these are in opposition to each other, so that you cannot do what you want" (NET). This contention is evidence that we are Christ's. As we grow to spiritual maturity in Him we should expect this clash within us to happen less frequently.

Our development in Christ should take us to the place where we don't stumble (see 2nd Peter 1:3-11, for example). When we do, through our repentance His blood continues to cleanse us (see 1st John 1:6-10).

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Although the new man (believer's spirit) does not need to be improved, the believer still needs to address our flesh and soul.
Hi, thanks for the reply and I like what you shared! Yes, it's because of the "new man" (new nature of the believer) that God "works" in the believer to only want to please Him.

Upvote 0

WordSword

Sep 8, 2017
MO.
✟250,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a very important point. The Amplified Bible adds commentary here that clarifies the sense in which true believers don't sin: "No one born (begotten) of God [deliberately, knowingly, and habitually] practices sin, for God’s nature abides in him..." Those who clearly and continually practise sin cannot inherit the kingdom of God.
Thanks for the reply and I agree with all that you said! Though we do not sin in our new nature, we do still sin with the old, but now it is no longer intentional; and we are no longer condemned and "dominated" by "the old man" or sin nature. The "dominion" (Ro 6:14) it had over us was that which caused us to desire to sin, thus we never desire to sin in our new nature; and this is where God wants us--never desiring again to sin, though we will.

Paul said it was no longer him doing the wrong but the old man (Ro 7:17:20); and we are separate from the sin nature (Ro 8:9 sanctified from it).
This contention is evidence that we are Christ's. As we grow to spiritual maturity in Him we should expect this clash within us to happen less frequently.
I like this!
Our development in Christ should take us to the place where we don't stumble (see 2nd Peter 1:3-11, for example). When we do, through our repentance His blood continues to cleanse us (see 1st John 1:6-10).
It's my understanding that we are never out of God's forgiveness once it is established during rebirth. He is always faithful and just to forgive us (1Jo 1:9). We confess and repent, and thanks Him for His forgiveness, as you said.

Upvote 0