New 'Bible' says Christ born of gorilla, not virgin

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
but here is info from the author's own web site

http://www.lostspiritualworld.com/
The Lost Spiritual World series is a joyous celebration of the wisdom of the sages from all religious traditions. It is not a celebration of a specific theology or religion. Instead, it explores the spiritual truths common to each tradition, and how they fit into our evolving scientific worldview. It reveals god as an experience of the heart, and religion as a gateway to the kingdom within.
The series begins with the Gospel of Mark because Mark is now regarded by scholars as “the first biography of Jesus ever written.” Alongside commentary from Christian mystics such as Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhardt, and Hildegaard von Bingen, you will learn how writers from different religious traditions experience Christianity, including the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Rabbi Michael Lerner, and Yogananda Paramahansa. You will even gain insights from writers skeptical of religion, such as Nietzsche, Emerson, and Jung. Later volumes in the series explore the Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutras, Buddhist sayings, Sufi poetry, and the Torah – all from a multifaith perspective.[this is *their* emphasis]
while purporting to be about all religions it selects the Christian experience and scriptures as the initial targets to denigrate, disprove and disparage --- all in the "light" of a universal spirituality.....

I can hear the new age aficionados all swaying and singing together "we are the world..."

unbelievers should almost universally buy into this and a fair number of unbelievers .... and the scriptures they are disparaging actually foretold it will be so ...

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Steezie -

Are you familiar with how worldnetdaily got started? Its obvious that your not because you claim they are "nuts". The fact and reality is the person who started it used to work as a journalist and found out that his other coworkers weren't churchgoers but were ungodly activists called the liberal lamestream media.

So, he created an internet news source that isn't political at all (left or right) but tells the news like it truly happened. Its the news behind the news. I strongly suggest you read "Off the Press" on how they got started. This isn't the debate area - and this isn't even up for debate its like debating the sun is the moon.

It's not a news site. Sorry, it's a tabloid. Only a tabloid would print such stupidity as "Soy makes kids gay" http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53327

You may find the site highly informative but then again I know people who find the story of the batboy in the inquirer highly informative too.

God won't be mocked either - judgement will come to those who mock Christ.
What would your religion be without threats?

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Bashing WND never goes out of style though. Its usually a backup plan when everyone actually agrees with a given article and discussion is dying down.

So true! Good one.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Steezie -

Are you familiar with how worldnetdaily got started? Its obvious that your not because you claim they are "nuts". The fact and reality is the person who started it used to work as a journalist and found out that his other coworkers weren't churchgoers but were ungodly activists called the liberal lamestream media.

So, he created an internet news source that isn't political at all (left or right) but tells the news like it truly happened. Its the news behind the news. I strongly suggest you read "Off the Press" on how they got started. This isn't the debate area - and this isn't even up for debate its like debating the sun is the moon.

God won't be mocked either - judgement will come to those who mock Christ.

Yes, I understand that God shouldn't be mocked. Yet it's another thing to mock those who seem to believe they speak for God. I don't recall Christ having any problem with mocking Pharisees.

Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Very interesting book series it sounds like to me. If I had the money, I'd gladly buy up all the books in the series and read them as I believe, like the author does, that truth can be gleaned from every religion there is with only a few possible exceptions.

One thing I noticed though was that they did not list the Quran in their list of religious texts to be explored. I wonder why that is? :confused: A book from this series on the Quran and the Hadiths would be very interesting in deed.

That said, I am absolutely shocked that at least one poster in here has defended World Nut Daily as being practically gospel! :eek: Wait, I take that back, I'm honestly not that shocked. I know at least one fundie here in my apartment building who refuses to watch any news but Fox News, the Republican's news arm. If she knew that World Nut Daily existed, I'm sure she'd probably trust them as the gospel too.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Very interesting book series it sounds like to me. If I had the money, I'd gladly buy up all the books in the series and read them as I believe, like the author does, that truth can be gleaned from every religion there is with only a few possible exceptions.

One thing I noticed though was that they did not list the Quran in their list of religious texts to be explored. I wonder why that is? :confused: A book from this series on the Quran and the Hadiths would be very interesting in deed.

That said, I am absolutely shocked that at least one poster in here has defended World Nut Daily as being practically gospel! :eek: Wait, I take that back, I'm honestly not that shocked. I know at least one fundie here in my apartment building who refuses to watch any news but Fox News, the Republican's news arm. If she knew that World Nut Daily existed, I'm sure she'd probably trust them as the gospel too.
So ... to summarize: Every viewpoint is valid, there is no absolute truth, and we can learn from everybody ... unless they're Republicans.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So ... to summarize: Every viewpoint is valid, there is no absolute truth, and we can learn from everybody ... unless they're Republicans.

Ummm no. I think you just totally misinterpreted or misread my post. Might want to brush up on your reading skills. ;)

I don't think you understand the viewpoint you're arguing against very well.

I know he didn't understand the viewpoint he was arguing against very well. He completely missed the point. But since I do not like to repeat myself, I am not going to explain myself. So, OP, go back and read my post again carefully and if you still can't comprehend what I'm trying to say then I guess you should seriously take some classes on reading comprehension or something.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ummm no. I think you just totally misinterpreted or misread my post. Might want to brush up on your reading skills. ;)
Hmmm ... well, let's see. You think this "book series" will be enlightening, even though the author finds it necessary to approach Christianity from a so-called "multi-faith" perspective. Quoting from her own web site further:
Ruth Rimms said:
Alongside commentary from Christian mystics such as Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhardt, and Hildegaard von Bingen, you will learn how writers from different religious traditions experience Christianity, including the Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, Rabbi Michael Lerner, and Yogananda Paramahansa. You will even gain insights from writers skeptical of religion, such as Nietzsche, Emerson, and Jung. Later volumes in the series explore the Bhagavad Gita, Yoga Sutras, Buddhist sayings, Sufi poetry, and the Torah – all from a multifaith perspective.
"Christian" mystics? The Dali Lama? Togananda Paramahansa? Sorry, there is only one truth, and He is Jesus Christ. To "explore other views" is to refuse to accept the existence of absolute truth, so thus far, my statement is valid. Anyone who reads your characterization of of your neighbor as a "fundie" (which, in case you had not yet realized it, is an insult) would reach the obvious conclusion that you have no respect for the conservative Christian, nor the conservative political, viewpoints. That makes me 3-for-3.
I know he didn't understand the viewpoint he was arguing against very well. He completely missed the point. But since I do not like to repeat myself, I am not going to explain myself. So, OP, go back and read my post again carefully and if you still can't comprehend what I'm trying to say then I guess you should seriously take some classes on reading comprehension or something.
No ,I think my reading comprehension skills are just fine. Your interpersonal social skills could use some work, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm ... well, let's see. You think this "book series" will be enlightening, even though the author finds it necessary to approach Christianity from a so-called "multi-faith" perspective. Quoting from her own web site further:"Christian" mystics? The Dali Lama? Togananda Paramahansa? Sorry, there is only one truth, and He is Jesus Christ. To "explore other views" is to refuse to accept the existence of absolute truth, so thus far, my statement is valid. Anyone who reads your characterization of of your neighbor as a "fundie" (which, in case you had not yet realized it, is an insult) would reach the obvious conclusion that you have no respect for the conservative Christian, nor the conservative political, viewpoints. That makes me 3-for-3.No ,I think my reading comprehension skills are just fine. Your interpersonal social skills could use some work, though.
Wrong. Your reading comprehension skills could still use quite a bit of work. And my interpersonal social skills are quite well developed thank you.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wrong. Your reading comprehension skills could still use quite a bit of work. And my interpersonal social skills are quite well developed thank you.
Yeah, whatever.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The opening of the article, IN CONTEXT, reads as such:

A new, lavishly illustrated book ? described by its marketer as a "postmodern" edition of the Bible ? takes Darwin's theory of evolution as gospel and presents Jesus as being born, "not to a virgin, but to a gorilla."

According to Ruth Rimm, Bronx school teacher and book artist, her version of the Scriptures, titled "Lost Spiritual World", "explores the emergence of a new global spirituality that mixes the best of each wisdom tradition with the latest findings in psychology, quantum physics, neuroscience, and linguistics."

It is a "Bible for skeptics, seekers, and people of different faiths."
So, it's not an additional book to be added to the Scriptures or even a commentary on the Christian Scriptures — it's a completely separate undertaking which used the word "Bible" as a descriptor (or a metaphor) to describe what how the author would like to have the final results seen as.

Yet another example of worldnetdaily crying "wolf" when no wolf was around.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hmmm ... well, let's see. You think this "book series" will be enlightening, even though the author finds it necessary to approach Christianity from a so-called "multi-faith" perspective. Quoting from her own web site further:"Christian" mystics? The Dali Lama? Togananda Paramahansa? Sorry, there is only one truth, and He is Jesus Christ. To "explore other views" is to refuse to accept the existence of absolute truth, so thus far, my statement is valid. Anyone who reads your characterization of of your neighbor as a "fundie" (which, in case you had not yet realized it, is an insult) would reach the obvious conclusion that you have no respect for the conservative Christian, nor the conservative political, viewpoints. That makes me 3-for-3.No ,I think my reading comprehension skills are just fine. Your interpersonal social skills could use some work, though.

You seem to be "reading" a great deal into PaladinGirl's post that isn't actually there.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
To "explore other views" is to refuse to accept the existence of absolute truth, so thus far, my statement is valid.
Again, you don't seem to understand the concept very well. And until you make an effort to do so, you're going to continue to be the target of ridicule for your attitude.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, there is only one truth, and He is Jesus Christ. To "explore other views" is to refuse to accept the existence of absolute truth, so thus far, my statement is valid.
sadly the concept of absolute Truth and it's codification in the Bible as the absolute authority is something that is derided and shunned today - everyone gets to define and decide his own personal version of what is true and right...

to affirm that such a view and path is mortally disastrous folly and self deception is considered the absolute depth of self-righteousness and ignorant prejudice, and to be a real and present danger to society and societal justice by the vast majority of the educated world, both among the unchurched and those supposedly living members in the Body of Messiah ...

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
sadly the concept of absolute Truth and it's codification in the Bible as the absolute authority is something that is derided and shunned today - everyone gets to define and decide his own personal version of what is true and right...

to affirm that such a view and path is mortally disastrous folly and self deception is considered the absolute depth of self-righteousness and ignorant prejudice, and to be a real and present danger to society and societal justice by the vast majority of the educated world, both among the unchurched and those supposedly living members in the Body of Messiah ...

You suffer from the same lack of understanding as IisJustMe. Please don't argue against strawmen.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
You suffer from the same lack of understanding as IisJustMe. Please don't argue against strawmen.
I understand their POV clearly - I strongly and earnestly disagree with it.... it is not a straw man, when the premise of the book being discussed is that all paths of "spirituality" are equally valid sources of ultimate truth, to adamantly and vociferously deny the existence of any truth in such a POV.

b'Shalom
Henaynei

Upvote 0