Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟15,199.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi everyone,

I understand if it's hard to help me because I'm new to Christianity, but I'd greatly appreciate any advice and guidance. :) And sorry if some of this seems very silly.

I wasn't raised with religion of any sort and it was never a topic of discussion in my family. I'm almost 21 and have battled depression for most of my life, especially very recently. I went out and bought my first Bible (NIV study Bible) and have been reading. I 100% want to devote my life to Jesus and accept Him into my life, but I don't know what to do (silly huh?). I found a smallish church near me that I just went to today (this Sunday will be my first actual worship service) and I'm meeting people, but I still feel totally lost and depressed.

I've been praying, but how do I know that I'm doing it right? I mean, I still feel all alone. I don't know if I'm actually communicating with God or not.

Other than my newly found church, I don't have any Christian friends that I can reach out to for advice. I just feel all alone and very sad, and this to me is kind of a red flag meaning I'm either doing something wrong or not doing something that I should be. So I'm looking for any advice or guidance for a new Christian.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: TexasGirl06

GraceSavedMe

Apr 10, 2007
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you haven't prayed to become a Christian yet, all it takes is a simple prayer. If you pray this with meaningful intent, then it means you are saved forever through Christ. Here it is:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

When it comes to praying, the best advice I ever got was, just talk to God about what you are feeling. You don't need fancy words. Just speak from your heart. God hears your prayers, and he loves you!

God Bless you in your Christian walk. I know it can be confusing sometimes.

Upvote 0

TexasGirl06

Senior Veteran
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
✟13,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

I understand if it's hard to help me because I'm new to Christianity, but I'd greatly appreciate any advice and guidance. :) And sorry if some of this seems very silly.

I wasn't raised with religion of any sort and it was never a topic of discussion in my family. I'm almost 21 and have battled depression for most of my life, especially very recently. I went out and bought my first Bible (NIV study Bible) and have been reading. I 100% want to devote my life to Jesus and accept Him into my life, but I don't know what to do (silly huh?). I found a smallish church near me that I just went to today (this Sunday will be my first actual worship service) and I'm meeting people, but I still feel totally lost and depressed.

I've been praying, but how do I know that I'm doing it right? I mean, I still feel all alone. I don't know if I'm actually communicating with God or not.

Other than my newly found church, I don't have any Christian friends that I can reach out to for advice. I just feel all alone and very sad, and this to me is kind of a red flag meaning I'm either doing something wrong or not doing something that I should be. So I'm looking for any advice or guidance for a new Christian.

Precious one,
You are doing everything right.
Be encouraged this day.

You are on a new journey...
and it always seems a bit shakey when it is a new journey.

Take litte steps.
Connect with a Bible Based church.
Find a good bible Study.

You are doing everything right.
Be Blessed.

Reactions: rita727
Upvote 0

Lehr

Apr 8, 2007
Oklahoma
✟15,361.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anewhope, You feal lost and that is not surprising because this is still very new to you.. My friend i pray that you will find peace in your life, please know my friend that we all love your tremdiously but also remember god loves you beyond imagination. Anewhope, i pray that the holy spirit will come upon you and give you the STRENGTH, Courage, Will, and the LOVE that we all need to accomplish what god calls us to do.

GOD BLESS YOU MY FRIEND, AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FAITH JOURNEY!!!

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I know what you're going through. Although I was raised spiritual, the Bible and Jesus are something I didn't give much credit to up untill about a year and a half ago. Even now though, I'm far from a true Christian. It's a hard struggle for the first while. You must remember, since you're making your first attempts to get to know God and His Son, Satan is going to be trying extra hard to discourage you. *Big Hug* God'll help you through it, just don't give up and have faith in Him.

First and most importantly, keep reading your Bible. Try looking up some Bible courses online, too. There's pleanty of free ones. Some I've done myself. (Actually, it was one that my ex bf made me do that actually got me to first pick up a Bible) The more you know, the closer you'll get to God.

As for praying..Just pray from your heart. :) There's no 'true' right or wrong way to pray ,as long as it's sincere. Talk to Him like He was your closest friend. Tell Him your deepest darkest thoughts and feelings. Ask Him for help constantly with anything and everything. Get to know Him.

You'll be in my prayers, too. ^_^

Blessings and Love,
Sarah

P.S. I've suffered from depression for a long time too, and still battle it often. If you ever want to talk, someone to vent on, or anything PM me. :) It's nice to have someone to share this walk with. Especially since they can help to keep you on God's track when you start to waver.

Reactions: anewhope
Upvote 0

Scotishfury09

G.R.O.S.S. Dictator-For-Life
Feb 27, 2007
Belton, Texas
✟8,427.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anewhope, I'm thrilled to hear that God has touched you and is moving in your life! I suggest reading the book of John in the New Testament. It's a fantastic portrayal of who Jesus was and how he was the Son of God. I'll keep you in my prayers. Best of luck with your journey as a new Christian. Keep in there and rely on Him in times of need.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've just gotta say, often the way God responds back to you -- definitely the first way -- is through what He's written. There're a number of letters in the New Testament, try taking a crack at a few of them, say Philippians, and see what He's said there that may apply to you as well. The Thessalonian letters were also written to a church that was "under pressure".

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,

At one point in our lives, we were all new to Christianity. Please, never regard your questions as silly. It is by seeking out and finding answers to those questions, that you gain a greater understanding of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, and the salvation that He offers to us and there is nothing silly about that.

anewhope said:
I wasn't raised with religion of any sort and it was never a topic of discussion in my family. I'm almost 21 and have battled depression for most of my life, especially very recently.

The following link may help you out of this depression: http://www.cathedraluniversity.com/depression/index.asp

anewhope said:
I went out and bought my first Bible (NIV study Bible) and have been reading.

That's great. Please continue to read it because your faith will grow by hearing, and reading, the Bible (Romans 10:17). The first 4 books of the New Testament are a good place to start.

anewhope said:
I 100% want to devote my life to Jesus and accept Him into my life, but I don't know what to do (silly huh?).

What must I do to be saved, born again, made right with God, accept Jesus into my life?

Mankind’s Need of Salvation

What do I need to be saved from?

The wrath of God. (Romans 2:5-6)

Why do I need to be saved?

Your sin has cut you off from God. (Isaiah 59:2) To sin, means to “miss the mark.” The Bible declares, “all have sinned; all fall short of God’s standard.” (Romans 3:23)

What is God’s standard?

To perfectly keep His Law, the Ten Commandments, for your entire life. Keep all of the Law and God will let you enter Heaven. Have you ever:

used God’s name as a curse word? _____Yes _____No
stolen anything? _____ Yes _____No
told a lie? _____Yes _____No

This is just three of the ten. Answer yes to any? Uh-huh! You are guilty of breaking God’s Law. You have sinned. The “wages (penalty) of sin is (physical & spiritual) death.” (Romans 6:23)

If you die, without being saved, you will be eternally separated from God and your loved ones. After death, life does go on, either in Heaven (with God) or in Hell (away from God), depending on your acceptance or rejection of God’s plan of salvation.

God’s Plan of Salvation

The Futility of Human Effort

The Bible teaches that no amount of human goodness, human works, human morality or religious activity can get anyone into Heaven. Being a good person, belonging to a religious family, being baptized, going to church, none of these can save anyone. Everyone still falls short of God’s perfect standard. (Isaiah 64:6, Romans 4:1-5, Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:5-7)

The Only Way

Jesus said to him, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) me.” (John 14:6)

What must I do to be saved?

1) Admit you are a sinner. (Romans 3:23, 5:12; 1 John 1:10)
2) Be willing to turn from sin (repent).

Jesus said: “…unless you repent (have a change of heart and turn away from sin), you will all perish and be lost eternally. (Luke 13:5)

…now God charges all people everywhere to repent. (Acts 17:30)

3) Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried and rose from the dead.

We are made right in God’s sight when we trust in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in the same way, no matter who we are or what we have done. For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God’s anger (wrath) against us. We are made right with God when we believe that Jesus shed His blood, sacrificing His Life for us. (Romans 3:23, 25)

For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)

4) Go to God in prayer, confessing Jesus as Lord and your need for forgiveness of your sins.
Give your life to Jesus, making Him the Lord of your life.

For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. (Romans 10:10)

For anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.(Romans 10:13)

What should I pray?

Following is an example:

Dear God,
I know I am a sinner. I have broken your Law and deserve to pay the penalty for my sins, which is eternal separation from you. God, I need your forgiveness. I believe that your Son, Jesus the Christ, is Lord of all, that He shed His precious blood as payment for my sins and that, on the third day, You raised Him from the dead. I am willing to turn from sin. Jesus, please come into my heart, to be the Lord and Saviour of my life. Live your life through me. In Jesus Christ name, Amen.

If you sincerely prayed this prayer, you are now saved and the newest member of God’s family. But to all who believed Him and accepted Him, He gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn! (John 1:12-13)

Your acceptance or rejection of Jesus is the most important decision you will make in this life. It is a matter of eternal life and eternal death.

I accepted God’s plan of salvation, what next?

A good place to start: http://www.bible-truth.org/NewConvertpage.html

anewhope said:
I found a smallish church near me that I just went to today (this Sunday will be my first actual worship service) and I'm meeting people, but I still feel totally lost and depressed.

You're just starting out. Don't expect everything to change overnight. It doesn't always work that way. Have you talked to the Pastor about your situation? One of the Pastor's duties is to help people in these matters. He can also inform you about any ministries, within the church, that can help you.

anewhope said:

Jesus taught us about prayer ~~~> http://www.rbc.org/uploadedFiles/Bible_Study/Discovery_Series/PDFs/Jesus_Blueprint_For_Prayer.pdf

anewhope said:

You have found alot of Christian friends, here at CF, that are more than happy to help you out in anyway we can. Ask us all of the questions you have, and all of the questions that will, undoubtedly, arise from those answers, and so on. We are here for you!

Here are a couple links to other websites that will be helpful to you too:

http://www.rbc.org/bible_study/discovery_series/topics/437.aspx - click on any of the topics and you will find many ebooks listed that deal with that topic. Then, to access a certain ebook, click on the "More>>" link, then click on the "View PDF" link and the ebook will load onto your computer. You can also order a paper copy of each ebook, at no cost to you, by clicking on the "Order This Booklet" link.

http://www.gotquestions.org/ - Answers to over 116,000 Bible questions.

God bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tinka

Mar 16, 2007
Wales U.K
✟9,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello My Friend
Well Praise God For Your Salvation. Amen.
There Really Isnt Much That I Can Add To The Posts Here . They Explain Everything So Clearly. A Good Church, Bible Based, Read Your Bible And Talk To God As If He Was Your Best Friend.
He Is Always With You , In His Eyes You Are So Precious. Ask Your Pastor To Pray With You To Receive The Baptism Of The Holy Spirit, He Is Your Comforter And Will Tell Of All Things About Jesus, The Truth.
I Am Pm Ing You With A Poem That I Wrote That God Has Said To Send You. Be Blessed.

Upvote 0

anewhope

Apr 13, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟15,199.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you all for the great and very touching replies. Everyone has been so helpful and have really made me feel welcome!

My church seems great. I've been making friends and learning a lot. I joined the young adult group as well as a Sunday Bible Study class and am really looking forward to them!

I really do feel connected with God now, and it feels great. I've been doing better and better each and every day. Again, thank you all for all of the help. God Bless! :D

Upvote 0

Safora

Apr 16, 2007
Colorado
✟7,634.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just feel all alone and very sad, and this to me is kind of a red flag meaning I'm either doing something wrong or not doing something that I should be.

Base your relationship with God on faith, not feelings. Just because you are depressed does not inherently mean you are doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.